Evil-Bay

How to work a lil doc Jr....

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Its good to try different retrieves and mix up different retrieves. Different walk tempos too. 

If you get a boil or a grab, one thing that's good is to give the reel a couple fast turns. Then go back to the retrieve u were using. Idea is the plug is trying to dart away from predator and then slows down. Striper speeds up to chase the plug and will sort of running into the bait as you start walking it again. 

Leaving a long pause like count to ten can be good to try. Leaving the plug alone after cast for several seconds can also provoke. 

Walking and then giving the reel a couple quick handle turns so the plug stops walking and just repeating that can work. 

After a boil speeding up the walk tempo can work. 

My favorite is the trying to get the plug away from the boiling fish. They hate that! 

Another good thing is to have the original Doc Spook handy the big one and if you get some looks at the smaller one go to the bigger one. Sometimes makes a difference!

Sometimes try ripping in the plug like a popper and reeling really fast. Sometimes that works. If u know fish there but not getting any hits or only having tepid looking swirls. Cuz they might have already seen the walk and gotten bored with it.  

I find it helps to keep your rod level or pointed down to get the correct action.  Not always easy in the surf with a 10-11 foot stick. Jetties are easier. 

13 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

Work it like a pencil popper?

Slower, wider sweeps of the rod with a little more slack put into the line seems to give the plug a little more side to side travel in my (limited) experience. 

EB, You just have to go out and practice with spook lures.  There is an art  to make it zig-zag properly.  It's all about the cadence on the retrieve.  Don't try and over power it, as it will not work properly.  Also, a good pause every once in a while can be deadly.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

you can make perfect action with lure

cast and hold the handle on reel and make the turns with rod ,.reel with rod.

very simple and work perfect.

Edited by snag777

Thanks for the input guys.  I'll be using my vsx150 spooled with 30lb braid on a 9' jigging world shadow surf rod.  Rated at 3/4-2.