Mike

Blackhawk Review

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Went fishing with them for squid last night and posted this in my squid thread. I like that boat and would recommend it for CT fishing. Overall, thumbs up. Just bring your own food. 

4 mins ago, Mike said:

I will give a thumbs up to the operation for the Capt, crew and the ship. They bought a 1MM aluminum boat and brought it there 6 weeks ago. Solid crew. Nice space in the aisles between the benches and rail. Cabin seating is roomy at the tables. New twin Deere engines move it at a solid clip.

Downsides. Galley was frozen burgers and frozen pizza that they microwaved, chips and drinks. Nobody got the frozen pizza. Crew had fresh pizza for dinner. They could have bought a few extras and sold slices. Sandwiches in the fridge, other microwave stuff, could be an option. Second, They don't let anyone on until the Capt is aboard. Told me to arrive by three, then let me and 30-40 others stand on the dock for 45 min. 4 crew were onboard. Everyone waited for the Capt. 

That blew up my plan of drop my gear at 3, go get a sandwich and hit a tackle shop. Didn't get onboard until 345 so no time to do that before a 4pm sailing. 

Capt seems like a good dude. Has a decent sense of humor, intelligent guy, stayed out 90 min late trying to find a bite for all.

How long did it take to get to Point Judith? Seems like a long haul and a lot of wasted travel time just for squid. 
Seems like a strange trip to offer. Would be better off to take one of the boats out of Point Judith. 

2 hour sail. He leaves at 4pm for that trip. Galilee boats leave at 7. Both scheduled to be back at midnight. Cost is the same. 

So if you're closer to New London, and definitely if you are west of there, you could be home sooner than driving back from Galilee 

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

That sounds like a fun time.  

Whats a good night of squid fishin look like numbers wise?

2nd hand info from guys on the trip was 5-10 gallons on a good night.

34 mins ago, Mike said:

2nd hand info from guys on the trip was 5-10 gallons on a good night.

Wow.  That's alotta squid. 

How do they find the squid?   That are is pretty much open ocean.   Is it using their sonar just searching or do the squid tend to hang in certain areas, like a striper does?

On 5/23/2022 at 0:10 AM, notime said:

How do they find the squid?   That are is pretty much open ocean.   Is it using their sonar just searching or do the squid tend to hang in certain areas, like a striper does?

They have their spots.