Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

Jigging bucktail - question

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Maybe I am over think this, but many times you feel a bump but no hook up on jigging. Then you leave your jig down hoping you can hook up again. A scenario that was popping up and looking to see if anyone can maybe enlighten me with this. With this diagram, if the red fish comes up and the jig is moving away (as the arrow listed) the fish will bump into the line and not get hooked if you are jigging it up (or not hook up).

But on the other hand if the orange fish is sitting and the jig comes up to it, it opens up and swallows it, then there is a 'good chance' of a hook up by theory. Yes? no? I can't see how the red fish can be hooked if the line is in the way and you set the hook. Especially on a flounder.

jigging in water flow.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

It partly depends on the fish. Fluke/summer flounder will engulf the entire bucktail as they make a vacuum and suck the whole thing in when they strike, so it doesn't matter if the lure is presented such that the line is in front or behind the lure when it strikes. The same holds true to many other species of fish. But if the fish has a lot of sharp teeth and prefers to bite it's food into pieces, well, yes, the line may pose a small problem, but more often then not, the problem is the fish biting the line off (bluefish tend to do this).

Edited by FallenKell

I think you are over thinking it but it was a nice diagram all the same . All sorts or fish even crabs might peck at a bucktail close to the bottom and give you a good bump. Scup, seabass, fluke, snappers in late summer etc. Fish also strike from all angles  so the line angle would literally not be an issue imo. I realize it may look like it could be  but i really doubt it. 

I agree with the previous posters. I would also add that most of the footage I have seen of bucktails the fish follows from behind for quite some time before committing or if it is super aggressive ambushes from below. Don't think I have seen a fishing ramming the bucktail from the opposite direction.