Jollyrodger

Arthritis in Casting Wrist

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have developed arthritis in my casting wrist. Any ideas how to proceed for casting popping top water other than heavy brace, advil and Voltaren?

May have to become a bait and wait guy or slow jigging for bottom dwellers.

I don't have that option.  I have arthritis/possible carpal tunnel in both wrists.  I'm going to fish one way or the other.  I've got a trip to the Poconos on the 20th and a trip to lodge in NE Ontario at the end of August.  No salt water.  Mostly fly fishing along with light to medium spinning tackle.  Right now I'm planning on wearing a wrist brace.  I already have them since I have to wear them when I sleep.  Figure they'll support the wrist and keep me from "breaking" my wrist when I cast.  You can pick a good wrist brace up at most pharmacies.  They run about $25.  They are specific to right or left hand and come in sizes from small to xtra-large.  You can adjust them.  For example, I wear a small on my left wrist and a medium on my right wrist.

It's going to hurt afterwards.  I plan to bring some ice packs and prescription industrial strength ibuprofen(800 mg) to take in the evening.  If you're not going fishing before Memorial Day, I'll let you know how it works.

Do some stretching of the wrist and forearm, it will help with the stiffness. Dedicated icing after each outing will help too. Sucks getting old.

Sucky . I feel your pain . Stretch , ice , Advil , and belive it or not turmeric pills seem to help . It’s good for inflammation they say . Also adjusting your techniques . I’m a long time bass player and fisherman and electrician so my wrist get abused . Being mindful on how I do stuff made a world of difference