Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I think there's a lot of ways to get your bait out deep from the surf for Cobia, kayak, catapult, pneumatic cannon with frozen bait and even drones.  I think they are all pretty cool, but I like to make my crazy attempts using a cast.  It's just me and what I like and doesn't take away from the creative ways people have come up with to get after Cobia, King Mackerel and even Tarpon from the beach in the mid Atlantic.  By the way, the first reported Tarpon catch in VA was from Chincoteague/Assateague in 1936, so there's always a chance you could catch a one in a million fish from the surf.

3 hours ago, rwilliamsjr26 said:

I'm putting a real effort into catching a cobia from the surf in the Delmarva this year.  I put together a special pully rig to lift an eel (or live bait) up to the surface after casting, hoping it will work like a pin rig they use from the piers.  I had to get a special permit to fish for them in Virginia, but it's no charge, you just have to report your trips and hopefully, catches.  I have to use a pendulum cast to get it out, but it works.  I had a couple of takers last year but they pulled the live spot I had on off without getting the hook, so I've added double circle hooks.  I've heard a number of times that they follow the Cow Rays, so If I start hooking those, I'll definitely have my rig out. Wish me luck.

Every time I've encountered Cobia they've been in the midst of Cownose Rays. 

A few years ago I was seeing lots of cobia reports in the area and launched my kayak one day and saw several but didn’t hook up. Later that summer September 1 two of my friends and I tried again and I got one, my friend got one, and my other friend hooked 2 and lost them. 

7AE14311-A518-4DE7-944C-765A56E805A0.jpeg

C07F633B-70EE-4535-9857-09A7E77F75D8.jpeg

10 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

A few years ago I was seeing lots of cobia reports in the area and launched my kayak one day and saw several but didn’t hook up. Later that summer September 1 two of my friends and I tried again and I got one, my friend got one, and my other friend hooked 2 and lost them. 

7AE14311-A518-4DE7-944C-765A56E805A0.jpeg

C07F633B-70EE-4535-9857-09A7E77F75D8.jpeg

That's a freaking nice fish.

The shorebound dream....