Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was sitting and thinking about all the fish I'd like to add to the "caught by me" list and I almost immediately thought cobia. I came close to catching one down in FL a while back but it didn't pick up my bait. Ever since then they've been a bucket list fish for me. I know people catch them off of piers semi-regularly down south, and I know people catch them in the middle-lower Chesapeake Bay on boats and I've seen them in OC, but is there any chance of getting one of any size from the beach or a pier? I'd assume that Maryland is too far north for shore/kayak cobia. Maybe there are some around Virginia Beach? I remember seeing videos of people catching them from kayaks in NC and off of piers and kayaks down in FL. Am I just better off waiting until I get down to FL next year or should I look more into it? Thanks

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

I saw a pic last year from Delaware where someone got a cobia from shore but they kayaked out their line. Not sure how far out. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The only surf caught cobia I've ever seen is near The Point on Hatteras in late May early June. And at that time of year they're frequently seen traveling in pairs. The only Cobia I have personally caught were taken bottom bouncing crab baits in the Bay near The Cabbage Patch off the Cape Charles Va. area....which is the classic place to find them around here in the warm weather months.

Edited by dixiekraut

We get an occasional one almost every year from the surf in DE.   If I was to target them within a short drive it would be mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.

If they are for sale at Martins sea food store, they’re probably in the area, but not necessarily in the surf. 

I believe getting one on AI. would be a gift from above. 

Yeah they are few and far between in the surf zone. I'd try in August/early September right after they reopen the beach. 

I have a buddy who caught a 25 pounder in Jersey surf casting for blues/flounder with jighead/gulp combo maybe 10 years ago.

A few are caught every year off a couple different beaches in Va Beach. The piers catch more. Most are caught on the bottom and a few come from pin rigs. Fresh big menhaden for the bottom or you’re wasting your time. Candy bar blues, spot, is jumbo menhaden on the pins. Keep a jig nearby for cruising fish. One of the local piers regularly has a couple 20 plus fish days a year.  

I'm putting a real effort into catching a cobia from the surf in the Delmarva this year.  I put together a special pully rig to lift an eel (or live bait) up to the surface after casting, hoping it will work like a pin rig they use from the piers.  I had to get a special permit to fish for them in Virginia, but it's no charge, you just have to report your trips and hopefully, catches.  I have to use a pendulum cast to get it out, but it works.  I had a couple of takers last year but they pulled the live spot I had on off without getting the hook, so I've added double circle hooks.  I've heard a number of times that they follow the Cow Rays, so If I start hooking those, I'll definitely have my rig out. Wish me luck.