Wicked-Fly

Gotcha’s for Stripers?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Cleaning out the boxes and found these…, not going bonefishing anytime soon, anyone use these on stripers?

Feels too flashy for me and I believe the way these are meant to be fished and the way bonefish eat is not the same as bass but I’ve only hooked one bone so what do I know. 

A3E12EC5-0619-4B33-BA23-A08732A12EA9.jpeg

They work. On a bright day a gotcha is a good, eye-catching shrimp imitation. I have had good luck on flats on cloudy days on a fly with flashy chartreuse chenille, purple marabou and neon green eyes. I don't think anything is too flashy (sometimes).

31 mins ago, Wicked-Fly said:

Never heard of it Jeff. Is that in the Bahamas? :wee:

Think Jeff is talking about the north middle side of Cape Cod.     Lots of sand and a good place for a bright-er fly.

HT

Posted (edited) · Report post

56 mins ago, HillTop said:

Think Jeff is talking about the north middle side of Cape Cod.     Lots of sand and a good place for a bright-er fly.

HT

Just busting Jeff’s balls! 

also I find the current out there to be pretty strong, too strong for these particular flies with bead chains. Maybe a mid-day low with high sun and access to a boat would be a good combo to toss these bad Larry’s 

Edited by Wicked-Fly

2 hours ago, Wicked-Fly said:

Cleaning out the boxes and found these…, not going bonefishing anytime soon, anyone use these on stripers?

Feels too flashy for me and I believe the way these are meant to be fished and the way bonefish eat is not the same as bass but I’ve only hooked one bone so what do I know. 

A3E12EC5-0619-4B33-BA23-A08732A12EA9.jpeg

Carp , I’ll use them with the 7w 

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, Wicked-Fly said:

Just busting Jeff’s balls! 

also I find the current out there to be pretty strong, too strong for these particular flies with bead chains. Maybe a mid-day low with high sun and access to a boat would be a good combo to toss these bad Larry’s 

Hell I should have know better. :)  Having just died in this late January and now with a quick comeback I would have figured that out by now Wicked,  but then again the Aphasia problem is still aways away from help and it takes about a year of work so I'm more than a half of year left to go.   What the hell, at least I can communicate a little bit and have a little fun with it while I listen to these crazy forums.  Hell some of them are typed worse than my own forums now a-days even with half of my brain.  :)

Jeff, do you still contact monthlys with the Rhody Fly Rodders ?   Having been ill a bit I haven't been to a group in close to two years.   Hope they still have a good group out there.

HT

Edited by HillTop

I used  a similar fly fished underneath a  3/0  gurgler on an outgoing North Shore of Boston river and had a blast with schoolies to 25".  They eat lots of shrimp.  I floated it  over the drop of a mussel bar.

I tied up a bunch of these for a bonefish trip and plan to fish em east of mass this summer. 

If there too flashy, cut some off! 

You have to just give them a shot. I’ve used a fly tied with nothing more than pure Christmas tree tinsel. Most of the time too much flash is overkill and others you can never have enough. 

The gotcha will work great for fluke  or even seabass with a heavy sink line. 

5 hours ago, HillTop said:

Hell I should have know better. :)  Having just died in this late January and now with a quick comeback I would have figured that out by now Wicked,  but then again the Aphasia problem is still aways away from help and it takes about a year of work so I'm more than a half of year left to go.   What the hell, at least I can communicate a little bit and have a little fun with it while I listen to these crazy forums.  Hell some of them are typed worse than my own forums now a-days even with half of my brain.  :)

Jeff, do you still contact monthlys with the Rhody Fly Rodders ?   Having been ill a bit I haven't been to a group in close to two years.   Hope they still have a good group out there.

HT

No judgements here HT, glad you’re still able to share your thoughts with us. Can’t tell you how many questions/random thoughts I’ve had and I do quick forum search and your replies are at the top. Wishing you the best my man! 

I have usedthem with great success at times- lots of shrimpy spots in Casco Bay.  I have also used them on the North Shore when the lobster fry are out and the bass are gulping them like trout eating spinners.