onthefly

Boofish around?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Wanted to take my son  for some blue fish from the surf or bay will be in foot. Are there any decent size around around central jersey beaches or inlets right now?

3 hours ago, fdhog said:

Somehow Bluefish and Quality doesn't sound right being used in the same sentence.

It definitely does. There's a difference between tackle busters ..and the other annoying ones that chafe leaders and chew on plugs.

Quality to me is anything 15lbs and over. Quantity is usually your typical 4-8lb people call gators which really is not. Compared to years of good runs this year is definitely not. Last year showed great and provided world class size fish that lasted for weeks if you found the right places but they were pretty much all over. This year is much different, very small pods of decent ones came in and we should have had a really a good push by now. I just don’t see that massive bunker schools compared to last year. Yes there is bunker but last year really put on a show. We are still early and let’s hope the 16th moon roll them in good numbers like last years full moon did.

I am hoping the bluefish are just further offshore with the also absent forage fish instead of being in that bad of shape. If you want to be depressed check out the fishing reports from may 2016 for blues and compare that to now.

Posted (edited) · Report post

They’re around but nowhere near the quality and quantity like in years past.  

Last night, I got chafed off by a boofish and then my first of the year literally jumped into the kayak, sending my lure flying but luckily not into my face :o

Edited by GeoffT