MikeG_NJ

Locking a kayak to a car

10 posts in this topic

I would be cautious locking anything to the top of your car of value. A professional will know how to steal it and regular thief will wreck the top of the car or truck to get it,either way it will result in expenses for you. You should see the extremes people go through to keep their boat trailers from being robbed. Most don't work. Have insurance for your kayak and be done with it.l 

If you can find a long enough hex chain and a quality lock, you'd pretty much stop any thief other than one determined enough to have an angle grinder handy

I use a bike lock through the scuppers and to my roof rack. It's more of a deterrent than a serious anti-theft solution.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:40 PM, JRT said:

I use a bike lock through the scuppers and to my roof rack. It's more of a deterrent than a serious anti-theft solution.

yeah this is what I do. It is not full proof by any means but it is enough to make me feel less stupid if/when it gets stolen.

Anyone who has had bikes in a city knows people just cut stuff break stuff, beat stuff. People can be turds but stealing a kayak off a roof is a little more work than riding off with a bike from a bike  rack. 

Had good luck so far.

Just remember there are people who can  steal a catalytic converter off your vehicle in 5 minutes .Which means cutting it off the car or truck. Just saying.