superuser

VR75/50 owners - Is this line lay ok?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2022 at 8:26 AM, Joe Paranee said:

You look fine 

here is a 50 with 20 and a 75 with 30 for comparison 

C734EC16-9C32-4E13-86FE-DDE00DA0903F.jpe

My VR50 & 75 look like that with 20lbs test GSP.

On 5/12/2022 at 0:13 AM, superuser said:

I got my new VR75 and this is how it looks after I spooled it up and made perhaps 15 test casts.

It looked a little bottom heavy to me so stopped spooling when the back of spool filled up just right. 

I am not sure if this is normal. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

4408D0F8-A686-435C-8C4E-FA7A8612B10B.jpeg

EFAF584F-7D8E-45ED-B491-C292A677698C.jpeg

Unless you have a lot of wind knots , line lay doesn’t mean sht in the real world. 

I finally got around to the beach and had some real casting time with the reel. I lost two plugs and the top 20-30 yards of line to wind knot snaps before the reel started casting right. That was weird! I have never lost plugs like that.

Not sure if I overfilled the spool as shown in the pics. It was actually less windy than usual on this day and I am used to casting into the wind with the same rod and line on a different reels (daiwa 3000/4000). 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/13/2022 at 4:38 AM, jjdbike said:

Hey superuser,

Thanks for posting and thank you to those who've answered.

Good info here.

XBMX,

I plan on acquiring one of these reels. I am a tinkerer. Can you please share how one would "...reduce the under-spool washer by .008-.010in."?

Thanks!

JD

To change the line lay on the VR50-75 it is not done like other reels like adding to taking away shim form under the spool, it is done by removing or adding steel shim washers that are stacked between the spool shaft and the traves guide inside the reel body.

Shim in right of picture reel comes with 2, l found by removing one it will fix a line lay that is more to the back of the spool.

VR50-75 washer.jpg

62879face8f59_VR50-75houseinglinelay.jpg.c04125f68700000056e15f8f6df3a212.jpg

Remove one shim and you line lay will be corrected if this is your line lay, l just did to VR50 that had the same line lay now there are laying line flat.

Edited by LB

On 5/20/2022 at 6:43 AM, LB said:

To change the line lay on the VR50-75 it is not done like other reels like adding to taking away shim form under the spool, it is done by removing or adding steel shim washers that are stacked between the spool shaft and the traves guide inside the reel body.

Shim in right of picture reel comes with 2, l found by removing one it will fix a line lay that is more to the back of the spool.

VR50-75 washer.jpg

62879face8f59_VR50-75houseinglinelay.jpg.c04125f68700000056e15f8f6df3a212.jpg

Remove one shim and you line lay will be corrected if this is your line lay, l just did to VR50 that had the same line lay now there are laying line flat.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to do this once I find a full service video for the VR75 or have Vanstaal walk me through it so I don’t void warranty. 

I have a spare VR50 spool that I’ll get spooled by machine and see if that makes a difference - it should not, but I was not able to get 300yds of 20lb jbraid on the VR75 spool when spooled manually either. I got maybe 200 because there is a lot left over on a 300yd refill spool.

On 5/19/2022 at 11:40 PM, superuser said:

I finally got around to the beach and had some real casting time with the reel. I lost two plugs and the top 20-30 yards of line to wind knot snaps before the reel started casting right. That was weird! I have never lost plugs like that.

Not sure if I overfilled the spool as shown in the pics. It was actually less windy than usual on this day and I am used to casting into the wind with the same rod and line on a different reels (daiwa 3000/4000). 

Not uncommon after spooling up to loose some plugs.

1. Over spooling will cause this problem. The yards you 

lost to correct the problem seem about right for an over spooling issue.

2. Loosely packed line will also create this problem. Have it spooled by machine and take this out of the equation.

What rod are you using? Length and guide layout could be a factor as well.

200 yards is 2 football fields.Tournament casters can reach this with revolving spool reels not spinners. Put some backing on and save some $ on braid. 150 yards is plenty and you could still reverse it after a season or two.

8 mins ago, LowEnd said:

Not uncommon after spooling up to loose some plugs.

1. Over spooling will cause this problem. The yards you 

lost to correct the problem seem about right for an over spooling issue.

2. Loosely packed line will also create this problem. Have it spooled by machine and take this out of the equation.

What rod are you using? Length and guide layout could be a factor as well.

200 yards is 2 football fields.Tournament casters can reach this with revolving spool reels not spinners. Put some backing on and save some $ on braid. 150 yards is plenty and you could still reverse it after a season or two.

I have 20lb jbraid grand on the reel and it’s on a 9ft ODM DNA. I know I can’t cast 300 yds but I’d like the line on the reel so I don’t need to ever think about running out of line if I get a good fish on of any kind. Line capacity is the reason I got the 75 over a 50 though :)

I will get the spare spool machined and see if there is a difference. 

2 hours ago, superuser said:

I have a spare VR50 spool that I’ll get spooled by machine and see if that makes a difference - it should not, but I was not able to get 300yds of 20lb jbraid on the VR75 spool when spooled manually either. I got maybe 200 because there is a lot left over on a 300yd refill spool.

lt won't make a difference once you make a couple of long casts it will look like what you have now, removing one of the shims should take just about 15 minutes, l don,t think you will find a video on the VR50/75 but the larger VR reels are the same just larger in size. 

No bass or blue will ever take 300 yards of braid. With 20 lb. braid your chances would be slim to land a ray or shark with that line anyway.

Don’t overthink it. Set your drag correctly and don’t rely on your line.

As to your rod your reel might be on the small side but should work. A 125 or 150 might be a better fit. A custom rod built to your reel would be ideal.