superuser

VR75/50 owners - Is this line lay ok?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I got my new VR75 and this is how it looks after I spooled it up and made perhaps 15 test casts.

It looked a little bottom heavy to me so stopped spooling when the back of spool filled up just right. 

I am not sure if this is normal. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

4408D0F8-A686-435C-8C4E-FA7A8612B10B.jpeg

EFAF584F-7D8E-45ED-B491-C292A677698C.jpeg

I don’t know if you should be concerned. It sure doesn’t look very smooth. I was considering one of those. I’d sure like to see how people respond.

JD

Looks fine to me. 15 lb. on my 50 and is about the same.

Never understood the obsession with line lay on modern reels. Why worry about it if is a little off, it will still work fine.

Never have issue with my old  VS and the hour glass line lay.

6 hours ago, oysterbreath said:

What size line? I have a VR50 with 15# and a VR75 with 20# both are Berkeley X9 and lay flatter than yours. 

20# J-braid x8 grand. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. I looked up some videos last night and lay looks slightly bottom heavy on these reels, seems I am not that far off from others who posted pics above.

I am not looking for beautiful line lay but was concerned about button heaviness and potential wind knots. I live near windy beaches and wind knots are the worst!

Wind knots will come from the lining end of spool heavy. That tends to release more line on the cast and results in wind knots.

Your's looks fine.

I would not worry about it unless you start seeing a lot of “wind knots”. A bottom heavy line lay can contribute to wind knots since a slightly loose wrap of line only gets looser if a lower wrap pulls it forward onto the narrower front portion of the spool. 

It should cast fine like that but if you want a flat pattern reduce the under-spool washer by .008-.010in

1 hour ago, XBMX said:

It should cast fine like that but if you want a flat pattern reduce the under-spool washer by .008-.010in

I am too lazy to be a tinkerer but thanks for the tip!

16 hours ago, superuser said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I looked up some videos last night and lay looks slightly bottom heavy on these reels, seems I am not that far off from others who posted pics above.

I am not looking for beautiful line lay but was concerned about button heaviness and potential wind knots. I live near windy beaches and wind knots are the worst!

Hey superuser,

Thanks for posting and thank you to those who've answered.

Good info here.

13 hours ago, XBMX said:

XBMX,

I plan on acquiring one of these reels. I am a tinkerer. Can you please share how one would "...reduce the under-spool washer by .008-.010in."?

Thanks!

JD

7 hours ago, jjdbike said:
7 hours ago, jjdbike said:

XBMX,

I plan on acquiring one of these reels. I am a tinkerer. Can you please share how one would "...reduce the under-spool washer by .008-.010in."?

Thanks!

JD

The washers purpose aside from alignment of the spool to line roller is reducing friction as drag is pulled. Most spinning reels have a washer about .018-.020 inch. About the thickness of a matchbook cover. I made mine by punching out blanks of various food storage lids. Any thin plastic/nylon type material is useable. They can be easily cut with scissors as well. A heated nail can be use for the hole. Just remember to trim off the edges you want a smooth flat finished item.