bob_G

Fallfish

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, K Foley said:

No state pin for chubs.

But if there was one,  Bob G would be a WINNA!

Edited by WorcBoy

I know dace and shiners are two different species...but it feels like one and the same whenever I catch one. But then again, my biggest dace/fallfish is probably 7 or 8 inches, not 16 inches

41 mins ago, albacized said:

I know dace and shiners are two different species...but it feels like one and the same whenever I catch one. But then again, my biggest dace/fallfish is probably 7 or 8 inches, not 16 inches

Although they are often called dace by fishermen, fallfish are not dace.

Fallfish and chubs are also two different species, although more closely related to each other than either is to dace.

Probably more of a distinction than most fishermen care to make but at least I'm not hitting you all with the scientific names.

We catch some big ones during winter while ice fishing. The males can get really colorful and fight good for a 2lb fish. 

They dropped the water level on the Nashua River a couple feet and exposed this huge fallfish nest. It's about 2 foot tall and some of the rocks are surprisingly large.

20220513_171648.jpg

1 hour ago, curran said:

Wow. Crazy how strong fish can be. I wonder how they move the rocks?

Here's an article about various nest building minnows: http://www.nanfa.org/articles/acnests.shtml#:~:text=The nest of the Fallfish,excavate them from a pit.

Exerpt:

"The nest of the Fallfish (Semotilus corporalis), the largest species of nest-builder, can be six feet in diameter and three feet high, and contain several thousand stones. Nests are usually built by one male, who uses his mouth to carry stones to the nest, or excavate them from a pit."

Posted (edited) · Report post

@mikez2

What are these?

20180913_122925_Burst01.jpg.a4e3026faf117eafebcc0268f2b06251.jpg

Caught a whole mess of em squirrel huntin one afternoon. 

Came across a storm drain along a road and a pool was choked full. 

I thought they were fallfish. But expert opinions are always welcome.  

Made some into lunch.  Wasn't bad.  Definitely eaten worse.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

@mikez2

What are these?

20180913_122925_Burst01.jpg.a4e3026faf117eafebcc0268f2b06251.jpg

Caught a whole mess of em squirrel huntin one afternoon. 

Came across a storm drain along a road and a pool was choked full. 

I thought they were fallfish. But expert opinions are always welcome.  

Made some into lunch.  Wasn't bad.  Definitely eaten worse.  

It's really hard to tell the difference between fallfish and creek chub (the actual species, not the generic fishermen term) from that pic. Creek chub usually have a dot near the tail.

In Ma and Ct, fallfish are found through most of the state, except the south eastern part of Ma.

In Ma, creek chubs are found west of the Connecticut River. 

In CT, creek chubs are found from smaller streams of "all the coastal basins from New Haven and West, in the Housatonic and Hudson River drainage basins and in part of the Farmington River drainage basin".

From Inland Fishes of Massachusetts by Hartell et al and Freshwater Fishes of Connecticut by Whitworth.

We caught a few of those up in New Brunswick fishing for white perch in a river that comes from the bay of Fundy.

A couple locals nearby called them "chubs" and said they cut them into strips to fish for the perch when they wouldn't take worms.

Each time we thought maybe we hooked a salmon.  

White perch fishing was lights out... so were the black flies.  If you weren't wearing long sleves and pants and a headnet you were getting bit... a LOT.

36 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

We caught a few of those up in New Brunswick fishing for white perch in a river that comes from the bay of Fundy.

A couple locals nearby called them "chubs" and said they cut them into strips to fish for the perch when they wouldn't take worms.

Each time we thought maybe we hooked a salmon.  

White perch fishing was lights out... so were the black flies.  If you weren't wearing long sleves and pants and a headnet you were getting bit... a LOT.

That fallfish I caught a week ago fought like hell. I was convinced I had a nice brown until I got it close to shore.