Stryper Snyper

What's the worst eating fish?

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

least favorite-blues, I know a lot people like them, but I'm not one of them, and have bled them, fried them, baked them, grilled them. just not my cup of tea.

favorite- fresh water  crappie, bream

salt water- whiting, flounder, pomp

On 5/10/2022 at 3:52 PM, Mr T said:

all of em- yeccccch    ill have the ribeye please

100% agree. Sounds strange to say it given where this discussion is taking place, but it's the honest truth. 

On 5/19/2022 at 5:33 AM, BKillian said:

least favorite-blues, I know a lot people like them, but I'm not one of them, and have bled them, fried them, baked them, grilled them. just not my cup of tea.

I've made a nice "pate" out of smoked blues; but other than that I agree

I grew up in the heyday of the weakfish in NJ.  When I was a kid we would load the coolers with them and eat them all winter.  We'd have weakfish at least once a week.  To this day I don't like the taste.

Tilapia. If folks who ate them found out where they were spawned and raised, these folks would not touch 'em:howdy:

5 mins ago, jimmy z said:

Tilapia. If folks who ate them found out where they were spawned and raised, these folks would not touch 'em:howdy:

farmed trash fish.

21 hours ago, mako capt said:

I grew up in the heyday of the weakfish in NJ.  When I was a kid we would load the coolers with them and eat them all winter.  We'd have weakfish at least once a week.  To this day I don't like the taste.

Weakfish are horrible, worse than bluefish. 

On 5/10/2022 at 4:29 PM, peanutbunkerandjelly said:

Please, theres plenty of trash in meat you buy from the store. I'd not worry about a smaller striper. I did forget I'm on the friggen striper green piece sacred fish website.... 

Peace.  

On 5/10/2022 at 5:36 PM, Lou T said:

Shad

Years ago I went to the Lambertville Shad Fest on the Delaware River. So I tried it. It was greasy fried boney fish with a oily....  :upck:

I was just about to post this exact thing.  to the word.

I had a shad burger and it was almost as bad as LMB from a small pond.

Worst fish was some big minnow carp looking thing from one of the finger lakes.  Terrible. 

On 5/15/2022 at 1:53 PM, drumbum said:

Mmmmmmmm.......bruise taco's

I witnessed a guy catch an 8# blue on an AM party boat trip, (LBI....Barnegat) back in the mid nineties.............eventually iced....eventually gutted and put on a grill, whole......'bout 8:30 pm.

I did not partake.
LOL

I was a mate on the Miss Barnegat Light during high school and a bit in college (1995-1997)...only worked the night trips, but would see people coming off the day trips with bags of mushy fillets...and it made me cringe...12-14lb blues in burlap sacks in the blazing summer sun...then 'cleaned' for 'tips appreciated'...you couldn't pay me to eat that garbage...was a shame...cause I'm sure 90% of it was thrown away...

That said, a 3lb blue, caught, bled, and put on ice, properly filleted, blood line removed, soaked in milk, then pan fried...is decent. 

Posted (edited)

31 mins ago, Mojua said:

I was a mate on the Miss Barnegat Light during high school and a bit in college (1995-1997)...only worked the night trips, but would see people coming off the day trips with bags of mushy fillets...and it made me cringe...12-14lb blues in burlap sacks in the blazing summer sun...then 'cleaned' for 'tips appreciated'...you couldn't pay me to eat that garbage...was a shame...cause I'm sure 90% of it was thrown away...

That said, a 3lb blue, caught, bled, and put on ice, properly filleted, blood line removed, soaked in milk, then pan fried...is decent. 

Fresh caught smaller blues are pretty good, especially blackened for taco's (i.e. bruise taco's).
I've never bothered with a milk bath,.....but probably would help a 5 pounder.

I may have been up there in '94....can't recall exactly

Edited by drumbum

Many opinions here, but my take-away from all these best or worst fish threads is that we Americans as a whole need to learn how to cook.:D

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, jimmy z said:

I do and still eat em.  No worse than chicken. 

2 hours ago, bass11 said:

Many opinions here, but my take-away from all these best or worst fish threads is that we Americans as a whole need to learn how to cook.:D

Wish I could thumbs up this 5 or 6 times.  

Edited by PSegnatelli