Stryper Snyper

What's the worst eating fish?

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

Couple posts in here making me crack up. Needed it..

This sunfish convo...

Eating while not doing a darn thing including gutting the fish (kids i give credit for butter and garlic atleast, haha!) and then having to make sure ProSkate didn't think you meant oceanic one, ungutted,whole, etc....LMAO!!

On 5/10/2022 at 6:30 PM, z-man said:

I haven’t tried one but false albacore should be on the list. 
If I catch one that’s a bad bleeder and dies I’ll give it a try. 

Bleed it out completely as soon as you catch it, then ice it very well.

Serve it as sashimi with just a little soy, later the same day.  If handled well, you'll be surprised how good it is.

Put it in the refrigerator overnight before you do the same thing, and it will oxidize and taste just as bad as you suspected.

I never thought I'd try false albacore until a friend who is very knowledgeable about wild foods made the sashimi from a fish caught just hours before.  But he also noted that it had to be same-day fresh, and well iced throughout the process.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:47 PM, ProSkateFisherman said:

I would have thought it would have been at least alright. I know a lot of people love sunfish, I personally prefer crappie and perch to bluegills and pumpkinseeds, but that's just me. I guess I'll steer clear of whole grilled sunfish from now on lol

Again, it's where they come from.  Catch a sunfish from a cool, rocky Adirondack lake, and it will be good.  Catch it from a hot, weedy Long Island pond and it will be muddy and awful.

I started thinking of this question and couldn't come up with an answer.

If somebody knows how to cook, they can do remarkable things with just about anything.  I knew someone who one told his wife, who was deeply into French cooking techniques, that menhaden were inedible.  She took up the challenge, and put together a recipe that involved something like 5 1/2 or 6 hours of slow cooking to get rid of the oil, and the final result was something that, I was told, was bony, but tasted pretty good.  (NOTE:  I am reporting this second-hand, having never tasted the bunker in question.]

As I noted above, I have had false albacore that I enjoyed, although it was a very specific preparation.

But I enjoy bluefish that's properly prepared, too--and despise the stuff if it's cooked wrong.  

I think that if I had to pick one fish that I never had cooked well, it would be carp; I say that having had grandparents who came over from Europe, who prepared it in very basic ways.  Even so, if someone came up with an interesting recipe, and I had a carp from cool, clean water, I'd probably try, just to keep an open mind on such things.

24 mins ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

King mackerel 

Belongs on the overrated thread. Not the worst.  Not a fan of most but fresh king is pretty good. 

1 min ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Belongs on the overrated thread. Not the worst.  Not a fan of most but fresh king is pretty good. 

Well the one I caught and ate was the worst I ever had by far 

3 mins ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

Well the one I caught and ate was the worst I ever had by far 

Interesting.  In the south kings get caught on piers and lay on the deck or in a bucket for hours.  Would ruin any fish.  Bleed ice and cook.  Or smoked.  To each their own.  

Posted (edited)

Surströmming - Canned Fermented herring. I did not know I could projectile vomit from my nose but now I know the trigger.

Edited by NHAngler

2 hours ago, NHAngler said:

Surströmming - Canned Fermented herring. I did not know I could projectile vomit from my nose but now I know the trigger.

I'm sorry. But ya made me crack up with this one.  

Posted (edited)

On 5/12/2022 at 8:53 AM, CWitek said:

I knew someone who one told his wife, who was deeply into French cooking techniques, that menhaden were inedible.  She took up the challenge, and put together a recipe that involved something like 5 1/2 or 6 hours of slow cooking to get rid of the oil, and the final result was something that, I was told, was bony, but tasted pretty good.  (NOTE:  I am reporting this second-hand, having never tasted the bunker in question.]

My wife’s cooking is amazing too. I would never even think of ever saying anything bad about my amazing wife and her amazing cooking. :) 

Edited by NHAngler

Posted (edited)

On 5/10/2022 at 7:51 PM, FallenKell said:

Yeah, I think the people who hate bluefish just have never had it properly prepared. It all starts from the catch itself, where-in you need to quickly bleed and kill it. I have even seen some people use the ikijimie method (basically kill the brain and nervous system in the spinal cord, and then bleed them when they are braindead). This prevents a lot of automatic nervous system's responses from being pulled from the water and bleeding to death (massive pumping of adrenaline and other chemicals to try and get the muscles to work harder to fight for it's life). All lot of those cause the muscle meat to get a horrible flavor. Either way, you need to do a very good job bleeding a bluefish and get it on ice (not just sit in a bucket of water or on a leader while you are wading). You also need to remove the blood lines when you filet them. After that, grilling or frying is a great method since they are typically an oily/fatty flesh. Put some blackened or Cajun seasoning and it is actually half decent to I dare say good.

But, if you just catch em, and put them in a bucket/leader, and don't properly bleed them and don't remove the bloodlines, yeah, they will be a real stink-fish (might be good for some Scandinavians who are looking for a lukfish substitute).

Mmmmmmmm.......bruise taco's

I witnessed a guy catch an 8# blue on an AM party boat trip, (LBI....Barnegat) back in the mid nineties.............eventually iced....eventually gutted and put on a grill, whole......'bout 8:30 pm.

I did not partake.
LOL

Edited by drumbum

On 5/10/2022 at 10:36 PM, ProSkateFisherman said:

A whole sunfish? 

Mmmmmmmmm...........grilled baby wheel