Stryper Snyper

What's the worst eating fish?

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2022 at 6:47 PM, HugeDinghy said:

That’s mostly because bluefish sucks. If someone likes oily fish, more power to them, but it’s gross. 

same with mackerel

Larger bluefish as a main course is not the best. Although, slowly cooked on a barbecue or smoked, where the oil dries out, it's pretty good. Smaller blues are tasty as are snappers. If you don't want to slow cook the bigger ones, just make fish cakes out of them. With red & green peppers, shredded potatoes, bread crumbs, old bay, red pepper flakes & and egg as a binder, in a frying pan. Once done with some hot sauce & a beer, they are delicious. 

8 mins ago, Fishtale7 said:

Larger bluefish as a main course is not the best. Although, slowly cooked on a barbecue or smoked, where the oil dries out, it's pretty good. Smaller blues are tasty as are snappers. If you don't want to slow cook the bigger ones, just make fish cakes out of them. With red & green peppers, shredded potatoes, bread crumbs, old bay, red pepper flakes & and egg as a binder, in a frying pan. Once done with some hot sauce & a beer, they are delicious. 

Yea. No. Not for me. when I have to make fish cakes out of something I’d just rather do a fillet of something good. Snappers to me are for live lining for something better. 

On 5/22/2022 at 5:37 PM, ProSkateFisherman said:

Anybody have any experience with lake trout? I’m asking here because I’ve heard a lot of guys hate it. I’ve recently found a hole full of 20”-30” lakers and the water is going to heat up and kill them. I’ve been giving them away but I might keep one for myself. A guy I fish with said they have yellow meat. But I figure they’re worth trying, right?

I jig them in the Finger Lakes and think that those fish are fine.  I either use salmon recipes or just bread and deep fry them.

However, I've had alewife-fed lake trout from Lake Ontario that I didn't care for.

Was the forage the difference?  Was it the fact that I fish the Finger Lakes in the fall, and fished Lake Ontario in early July?  Don't know for sure, but there was definitely a difference in taste.

On 5/23/2022 at 6:49 PM, HugeDinghy said:

I want to like salmon. It’s consistent and available pretty much everywhere.  Just can’t. 

I liked the king salmon that I caught in the Kenai, particularly the same-day-fresh, cedar-planked salmon that we ate at the lodge.  Smoked, fresh sockeye was good, too.

But I can't eat the farmed stuff.  Just doesn't taste the same.

Of the top fish I like, eaten the same day it’s caught is most important. Meaning I’d rather have caught that day fluke over some tog from my freezer. And all things being equal, tog is significantly better than fluke. 

I'm sure there are far worse-tasting fish, but of the stuff I've caught and tried, jack crevalle was the nastiest.

Here’s some lake trout I made0163B77C-E8B9-4E2E-B2AA-D366FD361249.jpeg.dbb4fd0acdbaa5c0447f41a6d03f0c56.jpeg

Just fried it. Easy to cook. Used saltines for half and some beer batter stuff from BPS for the other half, and fried it in olive oil. I’ll tell you what, it’s not that bad. Not my favorite, but not nearly as bad as the guys I fish with say they are. The meat is yellow, just like the guy I fish with told me. When it’s done the meat turns white and flakey. Fish was about 18-20”. This is gonna sound weird, but it almost tastes like a pancake. I think it’s the crackers I used. Soaked it in milk overnight, not fishy at all really. If I get one that gets gut hooked and is going to die while I’m out lake trout fishing I’ll keep it but it’s not a fish I’d set out to keep. Glad I got to try it.

21 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Here’s some lake trout I madet

Just fried it. Easy to cook. Used saltines for half and some beer batter stuff from BPS for the other half, and fried it in olive oil. I’ll tell you what, it’s not that bad. Not my favorite, but not nearly as bad as the guys I fish with say they are. The meat is yellow, just like the guy I fish with told me. When it’s done the meat turns white and flakey. Fish was about 18-20”. This is gonna sound weird, but it almost tastes like a pancake. I think it’s the crackers I used. Soaked it in milk overnight, not fishy at all really. If I get one that gets gut hooked and is going to die while I’m out lake trout fishing I’ll keep it but it’s not a fish I’d set out to keep. Glad I got to try it.

The yellow flesh sounds strange; curious what the cause is.  I usually find the meat either white, if the lake trout are feeding on fish, or pink, if there are a lot of inverebrates in their diet (this tends to be true in Keuka Lake.  The pink-fleshed trout are usually the best eating.

11 mins ago, CWitek said:

The yellow flesh sounds strange; curious what the cause is.  I usually find the meat either white, if the lake trout are feeding on fish, or pink, if there are a lot of inverebrates in their diet (this tends to be true in Keuka Lake.  The pink-fleshed trout are usually the best eating.

5932665C-ECFC-48D6-8695-DEFFD703EF76.jpeg.62cb664158af665cff4322d02bc2d3f5.jpeg

This is the only picture of the meat I have. I know they were eating alewife and then switched to panfish and maybe shad once they got washed into the river. They could have been eating crayfish and darters too.  It wasn’t yellow once they were cooked. Don’t know why it’s yellow. Tasted alright still 

1 min ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

5932665C-ECFC-48D6-8695-DEFFD703EF76.jpeg.62cb664158af665cff4322d02bc2d3f5.jpeg m

This is the only picture of the meat I have. I know they were eating alewife and then switched to panfish and maybe shad once they got washed into the river. They could have been eating crayfish and darters too.  It wasn’t yellow once they were cooked. Don’t know why it’s yellow. Tasted alright still 

Wonder if it was due to the oil in the alewife and shad.  The alewife-fed lake trout that I caught in Lake Ontario might have been that way--it's been a while since I caught them there, and I don't really recall--but I remember that the meat hed an almost cottony texture.  The ones that I catch in the Finger Lakes are much better.