SteveZ

Wind

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Funny, (but not for all) all that nasty weather on Delmarva coast is keeping the weather here the best week yet. Sunny every day, no clouds, between 70 and 80 deg. and NO WIND!

7 hours ago, 7nBait said:

Steve shoulda had like 20 stripers by now...  lol  

Those were the days...too dang old to fish hard now.  How did that happen? :headscratch:

1 hour ago, dj1975232 said:

Do you think they'll have it open for the weekend?

I think they'll try but it really depends on how much damage the beach has sustained.  Should be ok.  Dunno about fishing after a gale, though.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, SteveZ said:

Those were the days...too dang old to fish hard now.  How did that happen? :headscratch:

I got sand blasted in Hatteras weekend before last but not like you're getting now.. Feeling your pain. Hope you get in to some fish before you leave.

Edited by 7nBait

Btw.. Speaking of wind, (OBX) Rodanthe is taking a real beating with this Nor'easter. First house on the left going south, (in the ocean). Jug handle opening couldn't happen soon enough.

Edited by 7nBait

Wind is my #1 enemy. I do a whole lot of sight fishing. Wind blows more than 3 miles per hour, you have to wait until it stops so you can see again. On the beach I can’t cast 50 yards sometimes because the stupid wind. Can’t get rid of it, so I have to live with it. I don’t fish the beach if the wind is over 10-12 MPH.

When it's windy, I try to keep the cast low. I lose distance but at least it gets out there. I learned to do that Fly fishing on windy days. Also I give it more a side cast to keep it low to the spot I want to hit.

9 hours ago, SteveZ said:

I think they'll try but it really depends on how much damage the beach has sustained.  Should be ok.  Dunno about fishing after a gale, though.

Edited by Hookedup2640
wrong location

1 hour ago, luckyOC said:

DBA7D6A1-CCE4-41A2-ACDD-988D227AFA2E.jpeg

Glad I got down there before the storm. Didn’t catch much but I saw some pretty sunsets. Left Friday, think that was the start of the storm if I remember correctly.

It blows and blows and blows.  One has to wonder if this is not becoming the new norm.  Certainly this gale is an aberration.  But if the extreme weather events across our nation and around the world in the past several years are an indication that the climate is indeed changing then we may well experience more and more situations that adversely affect our beaches.  Something to ponder...

Absolutely,  why I take every chance I can get to get on the OSV while we still have it.  Once the beach is eroded enough to the point that you can't drive on it anymore (out of boundary markers), stick a fork in it, she is done!  

I hope someone has GPS coordinates of where those markers were previously,  just to double check the rangers when they put them back up.  

For others who might not know how the OSV will be handled for access, from the GMP option 3:

Opportunities for driving on the beach in Maryland would continue within the seashore’s existing OSV use area until conditions change. OSV use would be managed for maximum flexibility to respond to changing conditions, protect sensitive resources, and minimize conflicts with other seashore uses. If vehicular access to the OSV use area is lost due to natural coastal processes or the effects of climate change/sea level rise (e.g., a persistent breach occurs in the OSV use area and the breach management plan calls for it to stay open), consideration would be given to modifying the route or relocating it to another more suitable location; however the OSV use area would always be located east of the winter high tide mark.

Edited by spinr0k