FISH BUCKET

2 speed avet for surf?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Do you get wet? Can you service it yourself? I have an MXJ and an MXJ Raptor but neither are on surf rods. My 12’ heaver has a Penn US Senator 113N on it for the big casting but it’s super easy to tear apart and clean if it gets wet. All my other surf rods have spinners on them. I did consider putting the MXJ Raptor on that rod (12’ Ocean Master 6-12oz) because it does cast well but it doesn’t really hold a lot of line. You might as well try it though I don’t know if I personally would really use the 2 speed on a surf rod. Maybe for sharks.

I’m sure it’s a top of the line and very fine reel- but I personally opt for a cheaper levelwind style. I mean- you could use it.. but I think it comes down to personal preference and what would work BEST for you and the conditions you fish in. A majority of my fishing is in the dark and I don’t have to cast a mile and I generally sling plugs- so I prefer the levelwind.  I guess ask what would work best for your situation. I never felt the need for 2 speeds and many of my reels are around 4:1 speed. But again, that’s just me… I guess if your bait fishing 2 speeds might come in handy 

I would say maybe for sharks or swimming out a big live bait for tarpon in certain areas of Florida.  Some beaches iv been  the fish come in real close down there and you don't need much more then a lob cast . But iv seen alot of them on the pier. 

Yeah first impression was that the reel would be overkill for surf but i wanted to get other opinions in case i was over looking something.

thats why this is such a great site……

Posted (edited) · Report post

You will regret your decision. Get the MXL MC Star or Gen. 2 MXL MC instead if you like Avets and want to target small sharks, rays, and drum in the surf. I have a lever one-speed Gen. 2 MXL MC and love it. It's about the same size as the Fathom 25 but magged and beautifully machined.  

Edited by Capefox

I’m currently using an Gen 1 Avet SXMC !

I have it loaded with 20 lb big game main, 50lb shocker!

It does has very nice magnet control!

I do shuffle around on several different rods also!

It’s built like a tank,has decent line capacity!

The one thing that I just can’t get used to is the tightness of lever drag reels while you’re cranking them!

The tighter the drag is, the harder it is to crank!

Your already reeling in a ton of line which is tiresome in itself, and then you gotta fight the tightness of the reel whilst cranking!

It might be time just to put it right back on my tog rod and leave it there!

Cast that sucker out 100 yards with 6-8 oz and Bait and your arm will know it when you’re done cranking it in lol!

EA

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a 2 speed Avet that I use for chunking and really like it. Low gear ratio for fishing and high speed to retrieve for rebaiting. May sound ridiculous but my other chunking reels are Squiders and Newells in the 3:1 range and rebaiting is a pain in the butt with that low a ratio.

Marc

Edited by mml4

On 5/14/2022 at 7:28 PM, ExcessiveAngler said:

I’m currently using an Gen 1 Avet SXMC !

I have it loaded with 20 lb big game main, 50lb shocker!

It does has very nice magnet control!

I do shuffle around on several different rods also!

It’s built like a tank,has decent line capacity!

The one thing that I just can’t get used to is the tightness of lever drag reels while you’re cranking them!

The tighter the drag is, the harder it is to crank!

Your already reeling in a ton of line which is tiresome in itself, and then you gotta fight the tightness of the reel whilst cranking!

It might be time just to put it right back on my tog rod and leave it there!

Cast that sucker out 100 yards with 6-8 oz and Bait and your arm will know it when you’re done cranking it in lol!

EA

Sounds like your drag is set too tight. Did you set it according to the instructions using a scale? The one drawback with Avet"s lever drag system is if you don't set the drag properly you put too much side pressure on the pinion bearing and ruin it. The only cure is to replace the bearing. It only takes one over tightened drag retrieve to ruin the bearing. It is very unforgiving but they do warn you about it in the manual.

Marc 

That's part of the reason Avets are notably cheaper than Accurates. The first uses ball bearings whee a thrust bearing would be better.