NYFishermen73

snap jigging

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

using north east anglers 3.5 " shrimp (white) 1/4 oz zman trout eye jig head. hook is a little small though got the fish in but hook came out easily once landed. look for the redfish eye by zman in 4/0 if fish aren't micros. best of luck i am not really a true snap jigger but working my way into that technique. hope this helps. best of luck this season. 

I dunno myself, but I’m curious if this is only a thing from boats & bridges? 

I can’t really imagine it without drifting in a boat except directly above deep & fast water with a selection of jigs. 

Let me tell you guys about snap-jigging, started doing it last season and it's definitely a game a changer. Been hammering fish ever since. The best tackle is a 6 or 7ftr. with a soft tip with some backbone, 1oz. to 3/4oz. are the go to jighead weight, I prefer plain old ball jig heads. Proper sized reel like a 3K spooled with 14lb or 20lb braid with a 20lb fluorocarbon leader, you can use a snap & swivel or you can tie direct. Soft plastic that resembles a Bassassassin but it needs to be green over white to resemble a spearing. I literally had 3 guys come up to me and ask what I was using because I was the only guy catching fish consistently.

5 hours ago, prican1 said:

Let me tell you guys about snap-jigging, started doing it last season and it's definitely a game a changer. Been hammering fish ever since. The best tackle is a 6 or 7ftr. with a soft tip with some backbone, 1oz. to 3/4oz. are the go to jighead weight, I prefer plain old ball jig heads. Proper sized reel like a 3K spooled with 14lb or 20lb braid with a 20lb fluorocarbon leader, you can use a snap & swivel or you can tie direct. 

I had some lessons from an old salt last season. Once I got the hang of it, it was a blast!

It has advantages.

Lighter gear in deep water and fast currents where I thought you needed a heavy diamond jig etc.

It outproduced the diamond jigs. We had 4 of us trying different techniques. Simple bucktail hair was the ticket on those outings. We liked it so much my buddy is making tying some jigs as I write this. Found some hooks on the Bay. It was tough to find the right weight and hook sizes.

10 hours ago, prican1 said:

Let me tell you guys about snap-jigging, started doing it last season and it's definitely a game a changer. Been hammering fish ever since. The best tackle is a 6 or 7ftr. with a soft tip with some backbone, 1oz. to 3/4oz. are the go to jighead weight, I prefer plain old ball jig heads. Proper sized reel like a 3K spooled with 14lb or 20lb braid with a 20lb fluorocarbon leader, you can use a snap & swivel or you can tie direct. Soft plastic that resembles a Bassassassin but it needs to be green over white to resemble a spearing. I literally had 3 guys come up to me and ask what I was using because I was the only guy catching fish consistently.

Just curious what types of structure you’re fishing with this method - open beaches, inlet rips, backbay shorelines, etc. I’ve snap jigged from the boat with success but it’s generally not a method I use from the shore. 

Just another was to fish a bucktail.

It's been getting written up over the past few years, and given a name, but folks have been doing it for a very long time.  It works well when fish tend toward a reaction strike, and don't insist on more deliberate presentations.  Often a good way to catch black sea bass, although many other fish, including bass, can respond to the presentation, too.

Was fishing some back bay creeks this morning, having no luck with anything for an hour and a half or so, when I remembered seeing this thread. So I clipped on a 1/2oz bucktail, took off the otter tail, and started snapping it hard up off the bottom. First cast striper on!

Also - I’d have to imagine upperman style jigs would be perfect for snap jigging, with the way they’d dart and wiggle on a hard snap

13 hours ago, mcnar said:

Also - I’d have to imagine upperman style jigs would be perfect for snap jigging, with the way they’d dart and wiggle on a hard snap

That's what I use.

Problem is that they're not easy to find.

17 mins ago, CWitek said:

That's what I use.

Problem is that they're not easy to find.

I’m surprised at how hard they are to find, that’s why I posted in the other thread about making my own with Dan’s jig heads

On 5/9/2022 at 8:54 PM, NYFishermen73 said:

Has anyone had any luck snap jigging stripers. If so what lures are working best?

Thats how I usually jig, works very well.  Usually a straight tail soft plastic on a jighead.  

5 mins ago, mcnar said:

I’m surprised at how hard they are to find, that’s why I posted in the other thread about making my own with Dan’s jig heads

Back when Upperman and then Penn made them, every tackle shop had cards of them hanging from the wall; we used to buy the by the card--three dozen at a time--knowing that the rocks and the bluefish would be devouring them at a steady rate.

Now, you pretty much have to get them custom tied, unless you want to tie them yourself.