Frank2104

Front or back snatch

28 posts in this topic

if you are the 'snatcher" helping out a stuck vehicle, is there any reason to favor using the front or the back points on your veeeehicle? Snatch in reverse, or snatch in D?

Depends on the situation.  I never hook up to the stuck truck. Let the owner do it.  And if they're not aired down I MIGHT let them borrow my shovel.

1 hour ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Depends on the situation.  I never hook up to the stuck truck. Let the owner do it.  And if they're not aired down I MIGHT let them borrow my shovel.

Agreed 100% Snyper. I was just wondering whether its better to use the front tow hook or the hitch receiver on my Taco if I am helping.  The front point is NOT the tie down from the factory. I installed a beefy hook in its place.

1 hour ago, Stryper Snyper said:

This guy gets it.  You get stuck...you set the hook. 

Front or rear depends on location and access point.  All things being equal I usually prefer from my rear.  With a true snatch straps you need a bit of a rolling/running start and moving forward feels more natural.  

28 mins ago, dj1975232 said:

This guy gets it.  You get stuck...you set the hook. 

Front or rear depends on location and access point.  All things being equal I usually prefer from my rear.  With a true snatch straps you need a bit of a rolling/running start and moving forward feels more natural.  

Sorry for the derail but DJ did you get that rack mounted?   On topic,  my rack mounts replaced the tow hooks on the front.  I took the hooks and welded to some square stock to slide into the receivers for when the rack is not on the truck.

I'm picking the mounts for my Tahoe up from Gene this week, so I'll be sporting the new rack this weekend in AI.  He said his mount will allow me to keep my front hooks as well so that's cool.  

I'm no pro, so please correct me if I'm wrong 

But I think Reverse is usually geared pretty low, so you may get some more torque at slow speed for a given 4x4 mode (hi/low) 

On Nissan Frontier I've got a front factory frame mounted pull "ring" / padeye 

And on rear I use a hitch mounted shackle 

My tow straps don't have hooks - I figure that's the weak link if you point or side load the hook 

Prefer strap loop to round / horseshoe shackle to even strain and keep a hook from flying 

Few times I've had to pull someone, I've done it from rear hitch - convenience, and if something breaks it's gonna hit my tailgate and not come through my windshield or grill / radiator 

That's using standard tow straps, not the snatch straps that seem to work more like a rubber hand with the elasticity, stretch / contraction multiplying the pulling force 

Honestly, they scare me, but that's lack of familiarity mostly 

Most of the time, coaching someone to air down and letting them use my boards + shovel has gotten them out without me having to hook up a tow

1 hour ago, dj1975232 said:

I'm picking the mounts for my Tahoe up from Gene this week, so I'll be sporting the new rack this weekend in AI.  He said his mount will allow me to keep my front hooks as well so that's cool.  

Gene and his wife are good people.  Salt of the earth. 

10 hours ago, GraniteStRockfish said:

My tow straps don't have hooks - I figure that's the weak link if you point or side load the hook 

Prefer strap loop to round / horseshoe shackle to even strain and keep a hook from flying 

I used Bubba Rope 3/8" NexGen Gator-Jaw Synthetic Shackles, good for 47,000 lbs. No flying metal is a good thing.

Screenshot (358).png

Drive - if that strap pops I want the hook coming at the tailgate and not the windshield. 

11 hours ago, GraniteStRockfish said:

On Nissan Frontier I've got a front factory frame mounted pull "ring" / padeye 

And on rear I use a hitch mounted shackle 

Thanks All for the advice. It kinda confirms my gut feeling. I'd rather take the strain on the hitch receiver than on the front frame. 

Rockfish....I had a similar attachment on the front of my '21 Taco but in reading it seemed to be just a tie down for transport and not designed to take any kind of kinetic/dynamic stress. I added this from Bullet Proof Fabrication to use in its place. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 9.44.36 AM.png

Always pull forward if possible. When pulling in reverse, ie; from the front of your rig, the ring and pinions are using the back faces of the gear teeth which are not as strong as the running or front faces. Most likely not an issue, but if you try a hard snatch you could cause damage.

21 hours ago, Frank2104 said:

Agreed 100% Snyper. I was just wondering whether its better to use the front tow hook or the hitch receiver on my Taco if I am helping.  The front point is NOT the tie down from the factory. I installed a beefy hook in its place.

The rear receiver is going to be stronger plus if something breaks it’s not coming through your windshield. Put in 4 low and turn on the rear locker if you have it  and you can pull like a tractor. I’ve pulled some massive logs and trees with my Tacoma like that. 

Much depends on situation of stuck vehicle…….you have to evaluate if going forward would be an easier pull or going backwards would be.

also have to consider position of pulling vehicle…..you don’t want pulling vehicle to get stuck in extreme soft sand.

every pull is unique