JimK

North of the Driscoll Bridge..

Rate this topic

148 posts in this topic

42 mins ago, Slowwwride said:

I grew up going to them in Perth Amboy and the quality was outstanding. 

Me too ...   I grew up in Perth Amboy on Sciorintino's Pizza with Meatballs and Onions ...      Never had a bad pie from them   

9 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Me too ...   I grew up in Perth Amboy on Sciorintino's Pizza with Meatballs and Onions ...      Never had a bad pie from them   

Lucky...I grew up on frozen elios pizza from the toaster oven. Still like that better then that burnt stuff I overpaid for. Thats all for now I better stop. :mad:

10 hours ago, adams54 said:

Lucky...I grew up on frozen elios pizza from the toaster oven. Still like that better then that burnt stuff I overpaid for. Thats all for now I better stop. :mad:

ShopRite boards as we call them in my family were the chit. Now they are their Bowl and Basket brand and they are way smaller. Used to be awesome. I hate the Ellios because no matter what they are welded to the pan upon completion. 

9 hours ago, JerseyJeb said:

Last night in Long Branch great example of Essex county coming to you instead of you having to go to Essex...

Yep.. just wait until Juneteenth..

On 5/17/2022 at 4:36 PM, BFrank said:

I love living in Monmouth for all the reasons previously stated, but whenever I go to Middlesex, Bergen, Hudson I get so jealous of the amazing food. Monmouth food offerings are just lame in comparison. Good to hear we're finally getting an influx of decent Indian food down here at least. 

What is amazing about it?  More Indian food in north Jersey?  I'm ok with that explanation because there probably aren't as many Indian restaurants in Monmouth...but otherwise i don't get why its "amazing" up there when we have the same stuff down here. The best restaurants are more spread out and probably harder to come across in Monmouth compared to the more condensed and over-populated counties up north- nobody is missing any "amazing food" in Monmouth County- it's here, too if you know where to look.

You want to talk about a HUGE culture difference, go south of the Atlantic City Expressway, that might as well be a different state.

Red would fit in just fine down there

You guys must be retired or don't have kids. Retiring in south jersey is cool. If you are raising kids, north jersey is infinite times better with everything. This is the only reason I am here. 

51 mins ago, Sudsy said:

You want to talk about a HUGE culture difference, go south of the Atlantic City Expressway, that might as well be a different state.

Red would fit in just fine down there

Sacrifices must be made it you want to get away from people.  I think I may be ready to go for it.  Even if it means standing behind Red at the supermarket checkout counter.  Or having Red ring me up.  The register does all the work and if you use your card you don't have to worry about Red miscounting change.   

41 mins ago, faithless said:

You guys must be retired or don't have kids. Retiring in south jersey is cool. If you are raising kids, north jersey is infinite times better with everything. This is the only reason I am here. 

There is not one thing better in north jersey for raising kids

1 hour ago, Fly By Nite said:

What is amazing about it?  More Indian food in north Jersey?  I'm ok with that explanation because there probably aren't as many Indian restaurants in Monmouth...but otherwise i don't get why its "amazing" up there when we have the same stuff down here. The best restaurants are more spread out and probably harder to come across in Monmouth compared to the more condensed and over-populated counties up north- nobody is missing any "amazing food" in Monmouth County- it's here, too if you know where to look.

Yes, Indian is part of it. We have some Indian restaurants but you can't touch Newark ave in JC or Oak Tree road with all the different sweet shops and fast food spots. But Indian food is just the tip of the iceberg. When I am in SE Bergen there are a zillion Korean places that we have almost none of (especially Korean chicken wings; I have yet to see a Korean chicken wing place in Monmouth). Paterson has Peruvian (ceviche, oh man) and incredible middle eastern. On one stretch of Route 1 in Middlesex I've eaten cheap Malaysian, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc etc. Monmouth has caught up to Newark in terms of Brazillian BBQ so that's good. One other big difference is in the supermarkets. whenever I"m in Bergen or Middlesex or Mercer I hit HMart or one of their many big Asian supermarkets and stock up on all the noodles and crazy syrups to make sodas with the sodastream and whatnot.  There's a great one on Rt. 35 in Middletown but I haven't seen any others. Again, I love Monmouth County and they're gonna have to take me out in a box. But it's far down on the list of best counties for food. 

18 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Name one thing out of everything?

how about drugs? All I hear is stories about overdose in highschools and drugs down there. Not saying there isn't any here but I am also not talking about raising kids in Newark.