JimK

North of the Driscoll Bridge..

Rate this topic

165 posts in this topic

I'm in lower OC, transplant from central Jersey 20 years ago.  It's just a different atmosphere down here.  it just seems more laid back and not so stressful.  IMO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JimK said:

Truth!  I grew up in Fairfield and went to West Essex .. home of the Sopranos.. I've got stories.. let's just say some kid named Gambino stole my prom date..

I played inline hockey with a T. Gambino @ the Coliseum in Voorhees. Everyone called him Sonny. It was like 25 years ago but if I recall correctly... he originally played for the Empire Snipers NY inline team but was from "North Jersey". Then started playing for us, the 99'ers. It was a pretty big deal at the time. I remember parents hollering and yelling at each other over the move...over a kid switching teams. Might have been more to it, how would I know? Maybe 3 or 4 months later, Sonny was no longer playing on our team or the Empire Snipers. I played until I was almost 17. The kid was a stud on the rink so everyone always wondered and asked what happened to him. Us kids never heard anything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Slacker said:

The bayshore is a bit ghetto.

:p

 

4 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Newark     627ab7291f8e8_dropmike.gif.12495925dc731496a6d7d74ac6bdd204.gif

Yes.  The similarities are striking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my wife and I were born and raised in bergen County.  moved to Monmouth a little over a year ago and it's like a different world.  every time we go back up north we're like, why did t we move sooner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, ctd450 said:

my wife and I were born and raised in bergen County.  moved to Monmouth a little over a year ago and it's like a different world.  every time we go back up north we're like, why did t we move sooner?

I grew up in south Jersey.  Monmouth county people were considered north Jersey liberals.  Frank Pallone voters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was born in the city, parents moved to Dumont in mid 70's. Enjoyed BC enough, easy to get to city to hang out and enjoy with friends and work. Eventually moved back to city and got married- Wife said no way on bergen county as she grew up in the woods of Connecticut. Moved to Red Bank area and as far as I am concerned if your gonna live in Jersey, well this is the place to live. Sussex county is pretty nice so it would be a close second- always enjoy camping up in Stokes and along Delaware. Next move will hopefully be to the Charleston SC area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Born and raised in Newark...commuted there to my job in downtown Newark for 37 years..so happy I married and found a great home in Monmouth County..that ride in and bach was a killer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ctd450 said:

my wife and I were born and raised in bergen County.  moved to Monmouth a little over a year ago and it's like a different world.  every time we go back up north we're like, why did t we move sooner?

I know the feeling... I always wonder why not sooner... 

 

3 hours ago, Bob S. said:

Born and raised in Newark...commuted there to my job in downtown Newark for 37 years..so happy I married and found a great home in Monmouth County..that ride in and bach was a killer...

You got in a good time.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Born, raised and unfortunately still here in Clifton NJ .  It’s the epicenter of everything…highways,  stores , buses, trains everything u need within 2 minutes , but lately it’s been getting so crowded and congested that I’m over it . I’m a union carpenter by trade and about 80% of my work is with in 20 minutes which Is great , but I just can’t handle the traffic and stress anymore .    Years ago my plan was to buy a house on the bayshore in MoCo , but even now when I go down there it’s just as crowded , and always cars in “my spots” .   At this point when and if the home market ever starts dropping I’m going to far north or west NJ.   My salt water game has been slacking lately  and I’ve been doing a lot more fresh water the past few years , (embarrassing,I know ). mainly to get away from the crowds .  We’ll see what happens in the next year or so  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 mins ago, JBstripes said:

Born, raised and unfortunately still here in Clifton NJ .  It’s the epicenter of everything…highways,  stores , buses, trains everything u need within 2 minutes , but lately it’s been getting so crowded and congested that I’m over it . I’m a union carpenter by trade and about 80% of my work is with in 20 minutes which Is great , but I just can’t handle the traffic and stress anymore .    Years ago my plan was to buy a house on the bayshore in MoCo , but even now when I go down there it’s just as crowded , and always cars in “my spots” .   At this point when and if the home market ever starts dropping I’m going to far north or west NJ.   My salt water game has been slacking lately  and I’ve been doing a lot more fresh water the past few years , (embarrassing,I know ). mainly to get away from the crowds .  We’ll see what happens in the next year or so  

I assume that JB in your screen name is for Jones Brothers because you are standing in the bow of one in your avatar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, Kml said:

I assume that JB in your screen name is for Jones Brothers because you are standing in the bow of one in your avatar. 

JB is my initials .  That’s actually my buddys sea hunt .  Which he sold ,  he was my “friend with a boat” .   Which he no longer has , so just another reason to go north instead of south 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kml said:

I assume that JB in your screen name is for Jones Brothers because you are standing in the bow of one in your avatar. 

Any other questions? :laugh:

37 mins ago, JBstripes said:

JB is my initials .  That’s actually my buddys sea hunt .  Which he sold ,  he was my “friend with a boat” .   Which he no longer has , so just another reason to go north instead of south 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2022 at 1:02 PM, Tom T said:

It's much nicer for minorities up north.  I understand. 

I chuckled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.