JimK

North of the Driscoll Bridge..

Rate this topic

148 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was born south of the Driscol, hate going north of it, and this is not necessarily a food group but a complimentary item.  The bread up north is fantastic.  I've become a fan of the fresh stuff from Colandras.  And not what is packaged up and distributed.  Gotta be fresh from the source. 

Edited by fishless

2 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

I hear that quite a bit. The food is better in North Jersey.  The people are more inclusive, non-racist, and varied in North Jersey compared to Monmouth and Ocean Counties.  Monmouth and Ocean county people don't give a crap about North Jersey, but there is so much animosity coming from the other direction. All of this has always been mind boggling to me.  

I do get sckeved out when I have to visit my sister in westfield.  Its like another world

37 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Seriously...what food is better in the north that you cant get south of the Driscoll?

Indian

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

hey the south fired the first shot here. sorry the Bayshore people are just weird, they are being gentrified by sweetheart staten island types anyway 

True dat.  Lots of weird people in the Toms River/Brick area where I live now, for sure.  Forget Keansburg, Keyport, Union Beach, Hazlet, etc - they're just as bad if not worse.   There are some good restaurants down here but certainly nowhere near as good as up north of Driscoll.

Edit:  BTW, I was born and raised in the northern part of Bergen County (Westwood).  Moved to Morris County after I got married and lived there for 35 years before moving to Ocean County.

Edited by GeoffT

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

no real Italian picks Iselin over Fairfield 

Truth!  I grew up in Fairfield and went to West Essex .. home of the Sopranos.. I've got stories.. let's just say some kid named Gambino stole my prom date..

I was born and raised north of the Driscoll in Woodbridge twnship and moved south about 12 yrs ago. It got much busier up there these past few yrs when i visit. Lot of Staten Island people moving into my parts. I like them. Mostly good people. It took my neighbors about three yrs to start opening their blinds up during the day but they're coming around and starting to normalize. 

Hey @fishless congrats on your sale...where you gonna move ?  Would love to sell mine at a profit but unless i move in with the parents i got nowhere to go.

22 hours ago, Lucky said:

you might fend off the weirdness 

when BBM moved from Lyndhurst to Leonardo a few years ago I thought he was nuts, the lack of good food and normal people kills the fishing aspect for me 

It's much nicer for minorities up north.  I understand. 

21 hours ago, GeoffT said:

Lived near where Lucky lives for 35 years and loved it.  But yea, the drive down to fish RB and points south sucked.  Moved to central/south Jersey two years ago, and am enjoying the quicker and easier drives to my bay/river/ocean spots now. 

Those were some nice bass you caught on that lake there.

2 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

Seriously...what food is better in the north that you cant get south of the Driscoll?

2 hours ago, Kml said:

Indian

Not so much anymore. Indian restaurants are popping up like weeds around me.

We used to go up to Edison for our Indian food kick - but not since we found The Chozhas over on Rt 33 in Millstone. (Try the chicken Sukka !!)

52 mins ago, adams54 said:

I was born and raised north of the Driscoll in Woodbridge twnship and moved south about 12 yrs ago. It got much busier up there these past few yrs when i visit. Lot of Staten Island people moving into my parts.

I was born and raised North of the Driscoll in Perth Amboy...   It was nice growing up on the RB   Used to sail a lot ...    Not as nice as Woodbridge...  but was ok growing up back in the 70's ....    Used to work in Teterboro, Clifton and South Hackensack...    Miss the italian deli's up there, but the commute sucked ...    Still North of the Driscoll but more west than anything ...  Commuted into NYC for 10 Years until Covid...  Used to Drive to Jersey City and take the Path train  ...  2 Hours Plus each way ..  every day ...  

Now I work from home full time ..      Probably move south in next year or 2  ...    Like south of NJ ...  Out of this crooked state ....

Lived south of the Driscoll Bridge my whole life, the last 30 years in Pt. Pleasant. Good living conditions, restaurants are plentiful and many worth the trip, work is so-so, the big $$ are north. We have the shore, ocean to be specific, that they can't match with anything from the north country. I guess I'm gonna die here too, just hope its not from starving to death. 

Been a lot of places in the US, used to think Cape Cod was the answer, too many liberals and old school New Englanders that are a bunch of old coots, not friendly, sloppy, and cheap, hard to like them much. Plus, its a higher cost to live there than in NJ. Not a fan of southern heat so anything south of Richmond is out, leaves coastal Maryland and Delaware, wouldn't trade coastal NJ for either. Difficult for east coast folks to relocate to the left coast, folks and cultures are just different.

So, NJ it looks like until the end, and that will be on the 4th tier in a mausoleum. The End.

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

The bayshore is a bit ghetto.

:p

Newark     627ab7291f8e8_dropmike.gif.12495925dc731496a6d7d74ac6bdd204.gif

7 hours ago, Lucky said:

no real Italian picks Iselin over Fairfield 

It's so much easier to get to Iselin than Fairfield.  The construction at exit 143 (I think) was horrible when I was heading up that way.  Hour and half, easy.  We used to have a meeting at 8:30 on Monday's.  Brutal