gill

Wetsuiting footwear

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

What do you guys that wetsuit wear for footwear. Regular korkers seem a bit klunky to me. Can’t find the boxcars anymore. Checking out options. 

For beach i wear neoprene wading shoes/boots that are light.  I generally throw korkers on them for rocks, not a fan of the big korker  boots w wetsuit. But yes they feel bulky

Best boots ever IMO are the Orvis Ultralights. I have tried them ALL. These things drain super fast, they have an awesome toe cap, and they are indeed... ultralight. I've swam for two seasons in them. They still look brand new. 

Bought used Korkers devil's canyons on here, screwed in cleats - happy with them

(boa and sand don't mix well, but a little swirl in water and flat edge of knife / pliers has popped them loose any time they've gotten a little jammed)

Thicker sole, wet suit booties / flats boots if no slippery rocks 

Cheap Cabela's Ultralights when on sale, w/ screw ins - they don't last that long even with aquaseal and duct tape 

Ill have to try those Orvis when my Korkers are done for

18 hours ago, UPSmanMatt said:

Best boots ever IMO are the Orvis Ultralights. I have tried them ALL. These things drain super fast, they have an awesome toe cap, and they are indeed... ultralight. I've swam for two seasons in them. They still look brand new. 

Do you ever strap studs onto those or do you mostly not wear them? 

I’ve gotten pretty fond of the grip studs have provided me but have been looking for something a lot less clunky and heavy for a few spots I’m looking to check out this year that require longer walks. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I drove my grip studs right into the rubber sole. They have a few spots that are laid out for studs. I added some extras as well. 

They honestly feel like Merrell or Salomon hikers. 

Edited by UPSmanMatt

I basically just use an old pair of Merrell or Salomon hikers and epoxy in hex head sheet metal screws. Apply a round of shoo goo and more epoxy to replace the screw or two you've lost by mid-season and it does alright, for many situations anyway, without tons of weight or bulk.

Depends on where you're fishing. The rock piles with bubble weeds youll want korkers, seem clunky but they save your ankles. Swimming to sandbars or larger rocks you can get away with wading shoes.  

I go with felt bottom wading boots with grip studs. I prefer something a little bit on the heavier side to hold me on the rocks when I’m out deep and a swell rolls in ( I’m not very big so I get washed off a lot) but I also know guys that swear by sneakers. More of a whatever works for you type of thing 

Here... I just found the pair that I use. These served me well in many places. Bought my first pair of these 25 years ago. I can't believe they still make these shoes after all these years. It's a good shoe but it's not for all places obviously.  Sometimes you just need spiked workers. 

Screenshot_20220521-230141.png

Screenshot_20220521-230150.png

Neoprene booties and cheap ice cleats if i need a little bit of traction on top of rocks after swimming out to them.  Dont want to carry extra weight and these do just fine out there. 

cleats.JPG