penn mag 525 ?

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, mark d said:

ok, so i finally got home and to the beach. i was casting my mag 525 and a penn 965 level wind on a cts vt 11 ft 3-6 oz. using a 2 oz tin. as usual i had problems with the mag due to my crappy-snappy casting style, but i slowed it down and played with the mag settings and it was going ok i guess. distance i couldn´t say. so then i started playing with my 965 lw. i have all the brakes disengaged on this reel. i cant estimate distance with the 965 as i was casting out of sight, but it was a hazy day. kinda hard to see. the 525 casts were never out of sight. so i can cast a level wind reel further then a magged reel....jeeez. im gonna work on this and see where it takes me

Try casting 4oz.  Set the mag at 4 clicks back from the "fast" setting.  Double check your spool tension.  How much left to right play is in the spool?

i set the spool tension the way i always do, just a little back and forth. i could try 4 oz but i never fish anything that heavy. thanks for your help

"what good are tractors without violins" ?   jose figueres

2 hours ago, mark d said:

ok, so i finally got home and to the beach. i was casting my mag 525 and a penn 965 level wind on a cts vt 11 ft 3-6 oz. using a 2 oz tin. as usual i had problems with the mag due to my crappy-snappy casting style, but i slowed it down and played with the mag settings and it was going ok i guess. distance i couldn´t say. so then i started playing with my 965 lw. i have all the brakes disengaged on this reel. i cant estimate distance with the 965 as i was casting out of sight, but it was a hazy day. kinda hard to see. the 525 casts were never out of sight. so i can cast a level wind reel further then a magged reel....jeeez. im gonna work on this and see where it takes me

Practice and more practice, when l started to learn how to cast my first surf outfit with a Penn squidder it was a nightmare once l got that mastered, now do it at night with an eel and without the help of a level wind, you want to talk about medicating your thumb they both had to be educated. 

12 hours ago, mark d said:

I know you were throwing a 965, but just as a point of reference, my 975 level wind seems to consistently land about 10 yards shorter than my 975CS. Probably just due to my casting technique, but it seems that those Internationals can launch regardless of version. 

@mark d

Slow down.

Push rod away from your body.

Javelin until you cannot reach any farther foward

Pull down around your body and tell yourself "DON'T PUSH MY RIGHT HAND" You will, but tell concentrate on not pushing

Slow down. Dont thrash.

Edited by ZAFisher

8 hours ago, LB said:

l'm going to flow this tread, l got a like new Penn 965 l put some line on it, but l don't have a rod for it, l think l will use my 10.6 tsunami airwave just to see what this reel can do. all my reels are ABUs first Penn other than my Penn Squidder.

lb, for whatever its worth i disengage all the brakes on my 965 and use my thumb a bit but the lw acts as a brake so it dont take a whole lotta thumb

Even today all l use is what came with the reel what ever brake it had when l bought it, l use the side nut adjustment for overrun and the rest it's my thumb to control the outgoing line, it has been that way for over 50 years, all my casting reels are ABUs, l want to give the 965 a go, it will be mounted and try on rods that l have one 8.5 and 9.0  10.5 rods. l don't expect to get the distance at 80 l once did when l was younger but l will give it a shot.

When i was a young deckhand i worked with a guy i considered ancient, probably in his 50's. I would run around deck like a crazy person. Thought i was kicking ass. I started paying attention to what the "old" guy was gettin done...it was more then me. Technique. Taught me a lesson i never forgot

On 7/11/2022 at 9:59 PM, mark d said:

Very interesting that you are only losing 10 yds to the lw

It's probably more of a function of what's a poor casting technique, that doesn't allow for the maximum potential for the CS, but might be better suited for the potential of the level wind. Granted, the pawl and worm gear on the level wind is insanely smooth.

On 7/11/2022 at 10:00 PM, mark d said:

How do you use the brakes ?

Thanks

No brakes. I keep them backed off.

On 5/8/2022 at 5:58 PM, mark d said:

I read the omoto chief thread previously. I confess to lurking on this forum interesting but too late. I picked up the mag 525 already. 

Rod will be a cts VT 3-6 Oz (in reality 1-4) 11 ft. Also might use on a odm frontier x 9.5 ft. built combo conv and spinning.

Thks for the replies

The 525 Mag is probably the best conventional I ever used for fishing. It was perfect. Good ergonomics, relatively forgiving, fast retrieve, light, and plenty of capacity for braid. I had just about every other conventional, Abu, Daiwa, Newell, old school Penns, Shimano, you name it.

Not sure how it performs for distance casting though.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver