DFrostFishing

castin reels

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I had used fireline orig 30lb for 2 decades and then switched to 65 and 80lb Suffix832. Never had issues with my penn 140,s 200’s and more recently with my abu 7k’s. 

I use 40-50- Suffix on my Calcutta Curado 400 and my Abu Rockets.  Works great.Use at least 50lb mono for leader.

Personally, although casting conventionals and baitcasters are similar in some respects, I categorize them differently, and I believe while braid may be problematic on conventionals (although that's from feed back from people I know vs actual experience), it's fine for baitcasters, which I do have experience with. And with that said, I use Suffix 832 30LB test on a tranx 300 without issue

Is it just a LW that differentiates a baitcaster and a conventional, or is there more lol.

The old conventional wisdom was to match the 17 lb. monos diameter with an equal diameter 50 or 65 lb braid. 

I use it on all of my casting reels. 50# on 6500 Abu's and Omoto's and 65# one 7000's. 

I like 50 Gorilla braid on Penn 155's.:howdy: 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The next question is what rod length , mono mag , static mag or centrifugal brakes and how many beads on the brakes ….how far are you trying to cast … a shimsno Trinidad with 30 lb power pro will get you 80- 90 measured yards with a 5 oz wt on a 13 ft ldx breakaway rod one bead on the brakes from a standing hatteras cast … a abu, akios,diawa mono mag will get you out near 120 using the same rod and weight with 16 lb mono , non level wind … if your casting 30- 50 yards out mono vs braid will not make a difference … if your using a level  wind it will mean even less distance …if your trying to reach over the second bar with a Hilo rig ,you may need some juice to get it there and impeccable casting skills …. Everyone does what’s best for them … chose your poison …lol lol lol when you get a professional back lash with braid it may take a while to get out …lol lol lol … always use a shock leader and cast safely …

Edited by Surf bomber

It's a bunch of fun plugging with a LevelWine. 7ft 12to25lb Rod, Abu 5500, 17lb Stren Mono. Learning how to successfully cast a 5 1/4in RedFin with a baitcaster is eventful. Backlashes and Braid don't mix so bring two set ups so you'll have a back up once the Braid Birdnest's.

I barely ever use a spinner …but I went to the local farm pond ,tied a plain circle hook on ,baited with a white curly tail on ultra lite tackle , baited with gulp cast out and was running the bait  over the weeds ….dropped a huge LM BASS  and proceeded to tangle the entire pole into an in fishsble mess and this was with mono … went home got an old abu 4500 that was on some sort of hurricane rod (inexpensive but fast action )  and started throwing rubber frogs along the weed lines … didn’t catch c h I t but a paint turtle was chasing the frog .. shook my head ,went home had a beer …. Lol lol lol 

On 5/7/2022 at 8:45 PM, DFrostFishing said:

Does anyone use conventional reels for casting? If so what braided line do you use?

If you don’t have much experience- I would suggest mono. Braid has all kinds of problems with conventional reels, mainly it’s very easy to get a backlash and then never fun to pick out. If your only using it once in a while then you might not notice, but if your using it all the time, it maybe problematic. Braid has a tendency to bury itself in the spool between other layers of braid. Like if your casually reeling in, like not so tight, the line is loose and it won’t be so tightly wound on the reel- then you get a hit - fish pulls real hard and your braid will dig itself in the layers on your spool, and since it’s not totally smooth the friction keeps if dug in, on your next cast- when you get to that point on the spool, the line stays stuck and it’s an instant backlash and you won’t even know what happen! Sometimes you’ll end up loosing your rig/plug too. This doesn’t happen with mono. I have been using sufix superior mono and really like it- not as much stretch as others. Plus mono lays flat on a conventional reel, no twisting memory like spinning reels. I don’t see the advantage of braid other then sensitivity … but that’s just me you know we all find what works for us- may not work for the next guy. You can always try mono since it’s cheap and if you don’t like it spool on some braid. 

I agree that mono is a better way to start with conventionals. Much cheaper to cut out a birds nest and respool with 20 lb mono. But once you have become fairly proficient I see no reason not to use braid. On my Penn 525 Mags, Squall II’s, and Lexa 400s I use 50lb. They are all going on 9-11 foot rods. On my 8’-9’ rods I drop down to 30lb. They are tossing a much lighter load. Say 3oz tops. Penn Squall 12’s and smaller Abu’s. 
One thing I definitely go with without exception is a smooth braid like Power Pro Slick or J Braid. And it also has to be an 8 strand braid. Don’t waste your money on a cheap 4 strand. Just my 2 cents and nothing more. 
Mike

I plugged for years with thumblevelers. Used PowerPro from 50 to 80 lb test. I wouldn’t go below 50 due to the danger of slicing your thumb on a surprise hit. Keep the braid tight on the spool and cross it up faster than an Abu would