Jason C

stocking foot wader repair

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I got scammed by a seller on eBay selling me a pair of used waders but listed it as "brand new". Luckily, the seller fully refunded me and I don't need to send the wader back. 

The model of the wader is this one: *

So I did a water test by filling it up with water,  and found that the seam of the inner leg and the groin region is leaking, as well as the toe region of both neoprene stocking feet is also leaking as well... 

The wader comes with some fabric materials for repairing, it said those are heat seal tape that works with an iron press. I guess this is only for seam repair but not for neoprene foot stocking repair. 

I have some aquarium silicone, but not sure if is useful. 

I have never repaired waders before, so might just well take this opportunity to learn, especially on how to repair the neoprene foot, but do not want to spend too much money on this broken wader. 

So any simple tips&adivice ???  Thanks!!!  

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial links here :-)

Believe it or not, I have had success repairing stocking foot boot leaks with Flex Seal. I turn them inside out, hang them up and spray them. It is a little messy, but after spraying them they finished the season without leaking. I have also successfully used Flex Tape for pin holes. Again I tape the inside of the waders. What can I say, I like info mercials.

Aquaseal available in fishing aisles of big box stores. Just did my previous pair to use for backup duty. Did a few seams in the groin area and the right stockingfoot. Works well. You can do inside and outside for more secure sealing. 

There a couple ways to find leaks. 1st is to bring them outside on a sunny day and stick your head inside. You will see little pin holes. Mark with a pen. 2nd use a bright flash light. Put it in the waiters running it up and down the legs the seams and then other spots in between. If you have any leaks, they will shine through. Use aqua seal. Put a light coating on the in and out side. Prep with alcohol first 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Turn them inside out and fill with water. Pour in a can of Aluma Seal Stop Leak in and you are all set.....

BTW If you got your money back you didn't get scammed

Edited by moocks

Flex Seal tape works well on the fabric but not on the neoprene socks. The spay works ok on the socks.
For the socks I’ve had good success with Shoe Goo which you can get at any hardware store. Similar to aquaseal, comes in a much larger tube for the same $,does not dry out in the tube and doesn’t need to be frozen to extend tube life.

Use aqua seal put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and turn the waders inside out spray them and the leaks will get dark. Simms has a easy to follow video on you tube you could watch . If you can’t salvage to stocking foots just remember they were free and you can still buy new ones with the money. I would try to salvage myself though aqua seals cheap enough.

13 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

I used marine goop on 4 holes on the bottom of my simms stocking foot waders, on the sole of the stocking foot, and no more leaks

Yes, marine goop or any goop as well as shoe goo. It all smells the same as aquaseal. You may have better success by cleaning with alcohol. (It completely delaminated from the rubber boots on my old bootfoot pair once that material started to flake & crack.)

For the high flex seams, I like multiple thin coats. The goop & shoe goo products can be thinned with xylene available at HD or Lowes. Probably fine to thin with goof off too. (Or goo gone, whatever that paint remover stuff is called.)

Aquaseal comes thinner and that’s what I used the last time with success so far. It’s more expensive but I’m only using it for waders & storing in the freezer- so it’s probably worth it. YMMV

On 5/8/2022 at 4:56 PM, EricDice said:

Aquaseal available in fishing aisles of big box stores. Just did my previous pair to use for backup duty. Did a few seams in the groin area and the right stockingfoot. Works well. You can do inside and outside for more secure sealing. 

Yup. Don't be shy with it.  My stocking feet are more Aquaseal than neoprene at this point.  

7 hours ago, Rwb1500 said:

Yup. Don't be shy with it.  My stocking feet are more Aquaseal than neoprene at this point.  

Yeah, I could see that. It bonds well to the neoprene so that’s probably fine if the neoprene itself is not rotting - unlike the rubber of bootfoot waders which inevitably crumbles under your sealer. 

Sometimes you will get a good bond but the patch cracks open in the area of the leak. Add a patch of cloth material directly over the leak. Feather the sealant out beyond the cloth both above and below that material. 

If the sealant of choice is peeling you can try a new one but you’re probably dealing with rotting material underneath & just go buy a new pair.