T-Top or Not Decision

Rate this topic

Thanks for the input guys. I guess everyone concurs with my initial take, no T-top for this boat since it is a 100% fishing boat. Grundens and SPF it shall be. 

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

I bought a 21 contender years back without a T Top - most 21 Cont have T Top

Was planning on having one installed by Pipe Dreams in New Jersey but as I used it more and more I realized how well this works for me 

So no T Top

I mostly throw plugs and also mostly when sun is not beating down - early and late

If I bottom fished I might want one

It is all how you plan on using boat

I've got a Taylor Anchorshade that fits into a rod holder similar to this one....easily stores under the gunnels when underway.

Hydra shade in that picture. I added a rod holder up in the bow area just for more coverage

Bow dodger is another option.

607a1ffeaa3241f0945d7eeed2411c28.jpg.71db00d785113ea29fdacf5a65687b34.jpg

e75e1f_dab42da5652c4a50b1e36c7cdc278b39~mv2.jpg

Edited by Rmarsh

This was a mock up of a bow shade I tried out..... using black pvc pipe stuck into rod holders and through a canvas cloth...was just ok.

now im using the anchor shade..... stuck into the rod holder in the casting deck up front. Without shade and the sun beating down...i wilt.

20150319_162124.jpg.826fb8e329dbe4c4ef224b5425906deb.jpg20150319_162141.jpg.5e3f8034e62648f688e77086f948e708.jpg

Edited by Rmarsh

One of my old boats had a bow dodger as well as a T-Top but it was 21.5'. Can't use a dodger on this one as the front deck is a raised casting platform - might have 2' to crawl into :). The KW doesn't have any under gunnel storage.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

I have an 18' center console and while I have thought about it... or even a Bimini, I have quickly talked myself out of it. I do more casting than trolling and almost never on anchor. A T-Top would only get in my way. If I had say a 23' boat, I might want one but not on anything smaller. 

I would say to get a bimini if your reasoning is to get shade on hot days or want to try and shed a little rain. Like others have said, it will offer little protection from the rain but then again, neither will a t top. A bimini can be easily removed and added back on. It is also much cheaper than a T-Top. 

Good luck!

I had a T Top installed on my 20' CC. Had it for about two years and took it off. It just always got in the way, and on windy days acted like a big sail. 20' is not a big boat so fishing space is premium. Not saying what I did was right, it just what was best for me and my fishing.

I have an 18' Tidewater (garage sized). Had a Bimini top on when I bought it and used it for 3 or 4 years that way. It had bars and straps everywhere when it was up, made casting really difficult. Got a custom T Top (custom necessary 'cause the top has to fold down to get in the garage). It's a beefy, beamy boat, comfortable for 2 fishing or 4 gee whizing at manatees, dolphins, satellite launches, etc. Rods smack into the top occasionally, but that's not a big deal, and the four rod holders on the top cut way back on the in-boat clutter. It does significantly reduce the sun exposure-maybe by half. That's important in Florida, both for sunburn and for temp.

It doesn't reduce deck space much and the boat's wide enough to still allow reasonable moving around space.

Only downside is the cost, but it's a boat so everything costs (but the gas. The 115 Yamaha at 3,000 rpm is surprisingly economical, and the top didn't significantly affect the mileage).

For me it was definitely worth doing. With a foot or more less beam and with a much lighter hull, maybe not.      

Oh yea, I don't think it looks too awkward, just a little top-heavy, but I'm 6'2" and need the headroom.

BoatInDriveway.jpg

Edited by Nils S
Added information

Fish before the sun comes up and after it goes down and you won’t need sun protection.

I thought about a T-Top briefly but I can’t afford the loss of space.

Also, you need to make sure they’re installed properly and securely.

Properly installed, they’ll be through bolted with backing plates for the hardware.

Improperly done, they’ll create an avenue for water infiltration and structural problems with the boat.

I heard a horror story about one bad T-Top installation where it was simply screwed and caulked to the deck.

The first time the owner had it out in rough weather, he grabbed onto the top to brace himself and pulled it loose from the deck.

Apparently the installer had only screwed it to the deck and used a bit of 5200 to bed it all down and fill any gaps.

There was quite a bit of damage to the deck when the screws were yanked out of the fiberglass.

• 2 weeks later...

First and most importantly:  FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS PUT A "T-TOP IN A BOX" ON THEIR BOAT.   Those things are garbage and they make any boat they are put on look like its owned by a tasteless cheapskate.  If you're going to put a T-top on a boat, do it right and have a fabricator make one that compliments your boat.

We have a Key West 1720 that we keep in Florida.  It has the factory Bimini Top.  That to me is perfect because in a matter of minutes I can take it on or off of the boat.  Family boat ride the Bimini goes on.  Going fishing the Bimini comes off.  Most of the time its not on the boat.

263520_1619981518224_6752934_n.jpg.3a0ad4d4054b02c24c33d3d20d2b775a.jpg

On my 224 Mako I've removed the bow rails and will likely never put a t-top on it because I view both as obstructions to the way I like to fish.  If I ever decide I need shade on this boat I'll probably buy an appropriate Bimini for it.

55637092_10210711965594071_8346404242600230912_n.jpg.cbbb0ecc9c76a560b5137bd43df1e2d4.jpg

Edited by mako capt

7 mins ago, mako capt said:

First and most importantly:  FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS PUT A "T-TOP IN A BOX" ON THEIR BOAT.   Those things are garbage and they make any boat they are put on look like its owned by a tasteless cheapskate. 

This needs to be repeated!!

• 4 weeks later...

Yea no. I wouldn’t. I have a 27’. Like the t top but sometimes in the way when we’re casting on breaking fish.

I love when we make way past the breakwater at first light and head out, there's nothing better, the whole rest of the world just melts away for me.

(*edited - member formerly known as 'windknot')

• 2 weeks later...

Go throw a fly on one of similar size with one, guarantee it'll cut off your 360 degree fishability. You have to give a lot of thought to boat angle upon approach if you're throwing to structure of any kind. A gust of wind or boat wake and that angle changes and you now are rendered useless. I think the comment of sun protection and rain gear is a valid option. Personally speaking, I throw fly and spinning and almost 100% of my fishing is 2-3 hours just after or before sunrise/ sunset before I really have time to burn. I think if I bottom fished, chunked more often a t-Top is awesome, for artificial no bueno IMO