jnicosia

Warning for WTB fly rods

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Edited by TimS
Moocks is not an admin here - I changed his avatar so as not to allow the confusion to continue

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, moocks said:

Ok Mr big shot admin, So calling members dumb  for 1 mistake in all my years of selling and buying stuff within in the fly fishing BST community which has been made up of stellar guys . Maybe you should stick to weeding out the scammers to protect the forums integrity . I am so sure you are just the most perfect person .   lol Go back to your admin monitoring and weed out the scammers instead of making rude remarks to good members .

Edited by jnicosia

On 5/6/2022 at 7:47 PM, jnicosia said:

Just been suckered by scammers on 2 fly rods By pm on SOL . 2 different fly rods by 2 different fake members.  

You mean you broke the rules and bought or sold via PM? Please PM me the names of the two members - and/or click the "report" button in their PM. 

If people stopped breaking the rules our scam rate would remain at zero :read:

TimS

On 5/6/2022 at 8:10 PM, i_like_poppers said:

I fell for the venmo trap on a CV troller. Nothing from the seller. That's the exception, not the rule there are a lot of good people on these forums. 

It sucks, it really does. I know the feeling. Sorry this happened to you. 

Did you report the post that this happened in so this person could be dealt with? We don't tolerate scammers or scumbags here, not for a second. If this happened via PM then, my apologies, but you are on your own as we don't allow buying or selling or soliciting or trading via PM. Either way, we have always asked folks to make sure they report this stuff if it happens - or PM me with a link - or report the post. That's how we keep it from happening here.

TimS

Just now, TimS said:

You mean you broke the rules and bought or sold via PM? Please PM me the names of the two members - and/or click the "report" button in their PM. 

If people stopped breaking the rules our scam rate would remain at zero :read:

TimS

Tim, this practice has been going on for 15 years . I know someone made up a rule for paypal but to be honest this can not be enforced . It's up to the seller and the transaction is not monitored by SOL so thier 's that .  I fully understand the rule   and again, this post is to warn other members  this intention was not get get pity. I know what I did and for the first time since I have been a member I was scammed. Atleast I come forward as I am sure their are 100 others . Friends and family paypal has always been a debate with receiving or sending funds. Ultimately I payed the price and won't make that mistake again .

Just now, TimS said:

Did you report the post that this happened in so this person could be dealt with? We don't tolerate scammers or scumbags here, not for a second. If this happened via PM then, my apologies, but you are on your own as we don't allow buying or selling or soliciting or trading via PM. Either way, we have always asked folks to make sure they report this stuff if it happens - or PM me with a link - or report the post. That's how we keep it from happening here.

TimS

Tim, this would be MtkSurfcaster asking for the venmo payments a few months ago/over the holidays. 

Just now, TimS said:

TimS

I did, looks like the member was removed.

7 mins ago, TimS said:

TimS

Nino10 , looks like he is still on as a member. Atleast he had activity since Saturday . I saw he erased the content of the messages he sent me.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:24 PM, Wicked-Fly said:

I am very confused on how this happened. I find SOL very well managed. Care to share details for others to be on lookout for similar patterns? 

The only way it happens is via PM. You won't see scams here in the BST Forums - ever. The few times in a couple decades that scammers tried to scam people in threads they were outed immediately and removed and blocked and banned. 99.99% of the time it requires someone to violate Rule #1 of using the BST Forum to get scammed here. And if they don't violate the no PayPal Friends and Family rule, they can even get their money back. 

I'm on the lookout for similar patterns - but this type is scam is incredibly easy to avoid on SOL - don't do any dealing via PM and you won't get scammed here. This community polices itself very well....and the moderators here do an excellent job of keeping an eye on the BST.

On 5/6/2022 at 9:48 PM, jerseystriper said:

Not all that hard to track the money and ask SOL for I.P. addresses and see where that goes.  

There was a thread I started a week ago posting every bit of information I could gather about this Nino scammer - including the two IP addresses he used - and the five email addresses he sent people - and the phone number he told people to call. It was a thread warning people about this - and asking them to stop using PMs to buy or sell or solicit here. Here's a link:

On 5/7/2022 at 8:00 AM, jnicosia said:

I believe these scammers are actually fisherman . They had knowledge and  pictures exact high end rods to share . 

Not this 'Nino' piece of **** - all he does is copy an old post from a thread here and pretend it's his post. If you copy a unique piece of a post of his and put it in the search engine you'll get two hits - his post and the original post. This person doesn't know anything about fishermen, he just knows people looking for hard to find items will do just about anything to get them - including paying Friends and Family - so the scumbags go on Google, find pictures - then find a post here about it - and throw out the bait. This person has been doing it across the internet for years on all kinds of website.

The likelihood of him being a fisherman is very slim.

On 5/7/2022 at 11:15 AM, saltfisherman said:

So you went to a PM style communication and on top of that a F&F Paypal payment. Everything this site is against yet you did it. Next time try bringing the discussion to the open forum style this place has in place and then not use the FF PayPal. 

honestly you did everyone so wrong, you fell right into the mark they go after. Looking for a deal got you exactly what you deserved. 

Not for nothing, but that's a pretty douchey post :laugh:

On 5/8/2022 at 11:15 AM, bassfanatic said:

I always try and check to see if a user has anyother fly fishing forum acounts and to see how active they are. I also look at the age of the acount, always be wary of a new acount. I have traded and sold a bunch on this fourm and never had any issues with scamers. 

It's even easier here - just ignore anyone that contacts you via PM to buy or sell anything - we did all the hard work for you and made it that simple :) 

18 hours ago, jnicosia said:

Is thier accounts still active on this forum ? 

You are asking if we allow thieves and scumbags to keep scamming people here? No, they are removed, outed, banned, blocked and we look out for them trying to re-register. We do a lot for free here to make it safe for people to use the BST Forum here - all we ask in return is they don't break the rules they agree to every time they log in. Had no one broken the rules, Nino would have scammed zero people here. As soon as he was reported PM'ing people email addresses to buy things he was removed, blocked and banned - and as soon as someone said it was fraud I did some research, confirmed he's a scumbag, collected as much information about him as I could and posted it in public. All for free. 

18 hours ago, jnicosia said:

The SOL police are usually on top of those things , they stopped others from making deals through p.m .

No, we didn't - the folks that didn't get scammed were the ones that reported "Nino" for soliciting them via PM. How would you like the SOL police to keep you from responding to scammer's PMs? We made it against the rules - beyond that, you are kinda on your own.

49 mins ago, jnicosia said:

Ok Mr big shot admin, So calling members dumb  for 1 mistake in all my years of selling and buying stuff within in the fly fishing BST community which has been made up of stellar guys . Maybe you should stick to weeding out the scammers to protect the forums integrity . I am so sure you are just the most perfect person .   lol Go back to your admin monitoring and weed out the scammers instead of making rude remarks to good members .

He's not an admin - he added that to his avatar and I'm removing his avatar until he can put one up that doesn't impersonate the staff here :squid: