jnicosia

Warning for WTB fly rods

54 posts in this topic

So you went to a PM style communication and on top of that a F&F Paypal payment. Everything this site is against yet you did it. Next time try bringing the discussion to the open forum style this place has in place and then not use the FF PayPal. 

honestly you did everyone so wrong, you fell right into the mark they go after. Looking for a deal got you exactly what you deserved. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, saltfisherman said:

So you went to a PM style communication and on top of that a F&F Paypal payment. Everything this site is against yet you did it. Next time try bringing the discussion to the open forum style this place has in place and then not use the FF PayPal. 

honestly you did everyone so wrong, you fell right into the mark they go after. Looking for a deal got you exactly what you deserved. 

Yes and thank you ! I deserve it just like you will deserve a ticket the next time you run a red light. Thank for you contributions in the fly fishing forum....lololol  NOT ! #TROLL

Edited by jnicosia

Posted (edited) · Report post

Same thing has been happening more and more over at Spey + Pages + dotcom.  The thing to do is never deal with someone who contacts you out of the blue, who has "just what you are looking for" etc...etc...  Even worse - "my friend has one of these they are willing to sell, so let me be the middleman"

The scammers know how obsessive we are about trying to find that "special" piece of gear.  They don't have to be fishermen - all they have to do is find photos of the rod, reel etc... on the web.  Sometimes a quick google search (click on "images") is all you need to do to find the exact same item they are "selling" you.

Edited by Killiefish

I always try and check to see if a user has anyother fly fishing forum acounts and to see how active they are. I also look at the age of the acount, always be wary of a new acount. I have traded and sold a bunch on this fourm and never had any issues with scamers. 

The B/S/T rules here on SOL specifically say no deals just thru PM's and no payment using PayPal Friends & Family.  If you use the Friends & Family option on PayPal you have no way to get your money back.  PayPal is providing a service.  They deserve to be compensated for it and when done properly you get protection from just such a scam.  Follow the rules.  They are there for everyones protection.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:27 PM, ryc72 said:

Ugh. That sucks.  If you paid paypal goods and services you should be okay right?  Any shot of having used a credit card through PayPal?  If so, you can cancel the cc transaction right?

From what I've learned from my Paypal acct., you can "dispute" purchases made and you should dispute if you're dissatisfied with your purchase. They will follow through.

On 5/6/2022 at 4:47 PM, jnicosia said:

Just been suckered by scammers on 2 fly rods By pm on SOL . 2 different fly rods by 2 different fake members.  

You should edit the title of your post to " Warning for PM buying with Paypal Friends and Family payments".......:laugh:

1 hour ago, moocks said:

You should edit the title of your post to " Warning for PM buying with Paypal Friends and Family payments".......:laugh:

Yes , lol either way its still a scam . I still would have to go through the motions and present a case. To be honest,  I've only used friends and family on here as long as I can remember.  I know thr rules say you must but they really can't make you as it can't be monitored. 

Everyone keep in mind I am not the only one . It's happening on oher flyfishing forums as well.  Spey pages  is a popular one as well as microskiff.  If it's a rule for members not to p.m you for making a deal in private then how do the scammers get away with it ? Is thier accounts still active on this forum ? 

2 hours ago, flysully said:

From what I've learned from my Paypal acct., you can "dispute" purchases made and you should dispute if you're dissatisfied with your purchase. They will follow through.

I will try but with friends and family,  thier isn't a choice to dispute or they make it very hard. I been looking into it. It's OK, I got scammed, forst time in my life. I learned my lesson . I just created this for others. Well except saltfisherman on here. He is just the best ever . He is so smart and contributes so much to the fly fishing forum. Lololol not He is a troll, never seen him on the fly fishing forum.  

8 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

The B/S/T rules here on SOL specifically say no deals just thru PM's and no payment using PayPal Friends & Family.  If you use the Friends & Family option on PayPal you have no way to get your money back.  PayPal is providing a service.  They deserve to be compensated for it and when done properly you get protection from just such a scam.  Follow the rules.  They are there for everyones protection.

Yes ,  do know and took a chance . The SOL police are usually on top of those things , they stopped others from making deals through p.m . Wonder how the scammers get away with it. I been ob here for a long time , bought and sold alot of gear through members in the flyfishing BST . Never had an issue and always sed freinds and family.  Oh well never again . 

2 hours ago, flysully said:

That only works if you used the regular PayPal process. If you used the "friends & family there is no way to get a refund.  It's assumed that payments made with friends & family are just for the transfer of funds, not purchases.  That's why there's no refund process.

5 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

That only works if you used the regular PayPal process. If you used the "friends & family there is no way to get a refund.  It's assumed that payments made with friends & family are just for the transfer of funds, not purchases.  That's why there's no refund process.

Yes indeed, just called them . Ohwell, hopefully no one else on SOL or other fly forums have this issue anymore purchasing expensive fly rods or reels.

Life today is just full of scams and people trying to steal or cheat you out of something.  I get as many as 12 to 15 phone calls some days from scammers.  It's everything from Amazon scams to debt relief to "Hi granpa it's your favorite grandson" type crap.  Sometimes I'll just have fun with them and sometimes I'll call them all sorts of foul things.  I have no mercy for them.  They're all thieves and not very good ones at that.

42 mins ago, jnicosia said:

Yes indeed, just called them . Ohwell, hopefully no one else on SOL or other fly forums have this issue anymore purchasing expensive fly rods or reels.

Thanks for bringing this scam to our attention.  We're now forewarned.

I’m on a metal detector forum and F&F with PayPal is fine they have a leave feedback section on members never had a problem there buying gear with that system…just buy from members with feedback easy way to prevent most issues