Incapable of rigging swimbaits on a jig head

Rate this topic

Nick T

Hello all,

I bought a variety of swimbaits (Fin-S-Fish and Diesel Minnowz) in the 5 to 7 inch range. For the life of me, I cant seem to rig them on a jig head. I mustve wasted about 10 of them, and I still cant get it right. Does anybody else struggle with this?

9 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Post a pic of the heads your trying to use.  

Theyre the V-lock jig heads by Fish Head. At first I thought my problems may be due to the V-lock but when I trimmed it down I still had issues

9C425A83-5C6F-4D47-AEF0-70B89EA94418.jpeg

Edited by Nick T

26 mins ago, Nick T said:

Hello all,

I bought a variety of swimbaits (Fin-S-Fish and Diesel Minnowz) in the 5 to 7 inch range. For the life of me, I cant seem to rig them on a jig head. I mustve wasted about 10 of them, and I still cant get it right. Does anybody else struggle with this?

Yes, getting plastics rigged on straight has always been a bugaboo for me. Finally after years and years I'm getting OK at it, but I still for the life of me can't get a rigging needle through a sluggo or rubber eel perfectly straight.

Practice... practice..... practice

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

9 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Yes, getting plastics rigged on straight has always been a bugaboo for me. Finally after years and years I'm getting OK at it, but I still for the life of me can't get a rigging needle through a sluggo or rubber eel perfectly straight.

Practice... practice..... practice

Have you used the Owner Beast hooks with Sluggos?

Get a worm threader and a bodkin.  The worm threader is cheap and basically just consists of a handle on a thin hollow brass tube.  Usually used for threading nigh crawlers.  The bodkin is basically a large needle with a handle.  Get one that fits inside the worm threader.  Hold the plastic against the jig head and mark where the hook should come out.  With the bodkin/large needle insert it through the center of the nose and exit where you've marked it.  Make sure everything is centered.  The purpose of the needle/bodkin is that it is much easier to thread the plastic much straighter.  Once the needle/bodkin has exited out the marked spot of the plastic, run the worm threader through the plastic but over the needle/bodkin and exit through the nose.  Take the point of your jig head hook and insert in the hollow of the worm threader.and slide the plastic on.  Use a little crazy glue where the nose of the plastic meets the jig head and make sure the plastic is vertically centered.  DONE!!!  It's not rocket science.

I just line the jig head up over the outside of bait so I can get an idea of where I want the hook point to exit the on back. After you are familiar enough with a certain bait/jig head you’ll have a feel for it. Also, the Z-Man jig heads, while expensive, do work really well with the plastic they use. 

58 mins ago, bass11 said:

Get a worm threader and a bodkin.  The worm threader is cheap and basically just consists of a handle on a thin hollow brass tube.  Usually used for threading nigh crawlers.  The bodkin is basically a large needle with a handle.  Get one that fits inside the worm threader.  Hold the plastic against the jig head and mark where the hook should come out.  With the bodkin/large needle insert it through the center of the nose and exit where you've marked it.  Make sure everything is centered.  The purpose of the needle/bodkin is that it is much easier to thread the plastic much straighter.  Once the needle/bodkin has exited out the marked spot of the plastic, run the worm threader through the plastic but over the needle/bodkin and exit through the nose.  Take the point of your jig head hook and insert in the hollow of the worm threader.and slide the plastic on.  Use a little crazy glue where the nose of the plastic meets the jig head and make sure the plastic is vertically centered.  DONE!!!  It's not rocket science.

Please post links or videos showing this method.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

17 mins ago, drmevo said:

I just line the jig head up over the outside of bait so I can get an idea of where I want the hook point to exit the on back. After you are familiar enough with a certain bait/jig head you’ll have a feel for it. Also, the Z-Man jig heads, while expensive, do work really well with the plastic they use. 

^this.

Toughest part is keeping the hook centered as you slide it through the bait.

And yes, sluggos can be a pain in the ass because of the shape and firmness.

I'm actually a really big fan of screw-lock hooks.  Laziness really.

I like my rubber to look good on jig heads too but I have actually found that a little ripple and some crookedness doesn’t make much difference in how they’ll  actually fish.

So, don’t discard any rubber which  doesn’t look perfectly threaded on a hook.

Fish it.

You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how effective imperfect lures can be.

Edited by valentine

When I use z man swimbaits with a normal non zman jighead I make sure to shove that bait as hard and far as possible up the shank. You'll feel it pop all the way up and it doesn't slip, at least it hasn't yet for me. Never had a problem. Give it a little tug to make sure it's on there. I agree with the other post saying the zman jigheads are good. They make rigging a lot easier sometimes and it really holds the plastic well. But normally its $5-$6 for a 3 pack of jigheads, which can get pricey if you lose a lot of tackle. Z man baits are great and last a fish after fish but can be a PITA to deal with sometimes.

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

2 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

This was discussed in this post. There's a video in there that shows you how to rig those pesky soft plastics. 

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/846628-thermoplastic-elastomer-lures-nightmare/?do=getNewComment

Sir Defyable’s post is pretty useful in that thread even though he’s not using a jig head there. It’s still tedious, but that technique seems a bit easier with the bigger soft plastics (5+ inches) than the typical way of doing it.

Edited by Nick T

53 mins ago, valentine said:

I like my rubber to look good on jig heads too but I have actually found that a little ripple some crookedness doesn’t make much difference in how they’ll  actually fish.

So, don’t discard any rubber which  doesn’t look perfectly threaded on a hook.

Fish it.

You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how effective imperfect lures can be.

It can make a difference in casting distance.  Crooked baits catch a lot of wind and tend to twirl.

Edited by bass11