njcatchrelease

What rod for back bay/river stripers out of a kayak?

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, njcatchrelease said:

Not trolling either since my kayak is a paddle not pedal.

You can troll from any yak, but you can’t cast and paddle at the same time lol

I’ve shortened the butts on most of my conventional Ugly sticks, Penns, and even a Okuma kayak specific rod.

Edited by cheech

19 hours ago, gellfex said:

Ugly Stik Tiger Lite/Elite is very popular among kayakers. Cheap, durable, good enough for livelining, plugging or trolling. 

That's what I use.  Caught my biggest fish on it.

I’m using a Jigging world nexus, Penn Spinfisher 4500. I’m looking to add another rod. Used 7’ Star Airiel last night. Too thick, didn’t fit rod holders. Go look at local tackle shop next week.    

On 5/5/2022 at 3:18 PM, njcatchrelease said:

Although it would make fishing easier last night I don't think I want to go cutting my rods down.

A few years ago I started a thread about cutting my rods down for fishing in my yak. Someone suggested that I try the longer handled rods before cutting them. For me, it was great advice. I really like the longer handles and they help to cast farther from a kayak. My 7’ Mojo is one of my favorite salt rods and almost all of my freshwater rods are 7’ to 8’ long.

9 hours ago, njcatchrelease said:

I'm not soaking any bait, I would be casting plugs, plastics, bucktails, etc.  Not trolling either since my kayak is a paddle not pedal.

Note the rodholder on the console set up for trolling. Also note the Tiger Lite with a Spinfisher 4500 Liveliner that has 2 drags. An extremely versatile rig. Some guys  also troll from the rear flushmounts, I find it trickier than a front setup, harder to tell when you've got weed on your plug.

596ee6d5ab34c_ADAMKAYAKBLUE.PNG.85bec9fe183e0d53cdc7693948f447b1.PNG

Other ways to do it too. My C-14 has no console but does have gunwale rails. I like it crossing the boat this way, keep the rod out of the way of the paddle and I don't have to reach overboard to pull the rod out with a fish on.

5f20d8e231b3a_C14handles.png.d9677bae7ed51290090fc5b9473ebcea.png

I have used the rods that can take a beating like the Tiger elite and spinfisher v rods which are closely related. The Penn battalion rods are an affordable rod with decent performance not to pass . I have used the jigging world nexus rod and have really put that thing to a beating this spring. The action and length seem to be that sweet spot in my outback. All kayaks are different in size but for me to reach around the bow it works perfectly. Just know when picking a rod that has certain guides and when running swivels and depending on your leader length, you will accidentally run that through the tip. Just saying because I have been there reeling back fast to cast again and the tiger elite will take that beating.  

St Croix makes a mojo kayak series of rods specifically for this problem. They are good rod for throwing paddle tails and light jigs/lures.

Edited by Dr. Darter
Spelling

6 mins ago, drmevo said:

Star Stellar Lite Fast Taper gets my vote. Great rod in the ~$100 price range. 

I'm not familiar with those, I'll take a look.  Thanks for the feedback. 

On 5/5/2022 at 3:18 PM, njcatchrelease said:

Although it would make fishing easier last night I don't think I want to go cutting my rods down.

There is no perfect rod, if you have an application that you'll use frequently, why not modify your equipment to suit the need. Fishing rods are not investments, they are tools, use the accordingly. Fishing from the yak is involved enough, any convenience you can add is a bonus, simple fix, or buy el cheapo and cut it down if your trying to save your favorites for never. 

I have things that will never get used, over the years you keep accumulating faster than disposing and before you know 10, 20, 30, 40, years pass and you still have it hanging in the same spot. Kids don't want it, to them its dirty and stinks. If they only knew.

Tsunami 5 Star Medium 7 Foot ... a great light plugging rod and super with soft baits. Works well for me on the kayak. Rather indestructible and cheap ... $40

7' St Croix, Mojo Yak...been using it for 3 years now and it's turned into my most used rod whether in the yak or wading the back bay.

I pair it with a Smoke Inshore 2500 and the combo has no problem handling slot stripers.

Edited by NorShore Fishing
add