PeteA

Boot foot or stocking foot for surf casting???

Rate this topic

Which do you prefer for saltwater surf?    46 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer and why?

• Boot foot
    • Stocking foot

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

I use stocking foots just for the varied terrain in my area. One minute I’ll be on nice sand, next minute I’ll be on navigating through rocks so I like the extra grip my korkers give me. If it was all sand I’d probably go with bootfoot. 

Interesting discussion. I bought a pair of Cabela boot foot over the winter from grand-daughter's boyfriend and tried them out this spring on 2 occasions. I use them for surf fishing  on drive on beach in DE. I loved being able to stay dry and warm. However, they are neoprene, thick, and seem very snug! It's a struggle to get in and out of them. In my ignorance on first try I wore jeans under them. The 2nd time just a light base layer. It was a mild day and was sweating like a pig! Not sure I am going to bother with them anymore unless I go out in November or something.

I've been considering going to stocking foot breathable. How high of a boot can you wear with stocking foot? I have a pair of boots 15" high. Would they work or do you need shorter wading boots?

4 hours ago, Frank2104 said:

Interesting discussion. I bought a pair of Cabela boot foot over the winter from grand-daughter's boyfriend and tried them out this spring on 2 occasions. I use them for surf fishing  on drive on beach in DE. I loved being able to stay dry and warm. However, they are neoprene, thick, and seem very snug! It's a struggle to get in and out of them. In my ignorance on first try I wore jeans under them. The 2nd time just a light base layer. It was a mild day and was sweating like a pig! Not sure I am going to bother with them anymore unless I go out in November or something.

I've been considering going to stocking foot breathable. How high of a boot can you wear with stocking foot? I have a pair of boots 15" high. Would they work or do you need shorter wading boots?

You need wading boots... they drain when you step out of the water.  With regular boots - I'm picturing something like 15" pull-on Muck boots - they are gonna fill with water and stay filled until you take them off and dump them.

Boot foot for the surf, stocking foots are a PITA on and off and sand gets into the boots, laces and guards. Agreed the boot foots are a bit bulky, the boots are not great quality but if your not walking marathon type distances, they are ok. 

Just now, Slacker said:

You need wading boots... they drain when you step out of the water.  With regular boots - I'm picturing something like 15" pull-on Muck boots - they are gonna fill with water and stay filled until you take them off and dump them.

Oh and when you buy the wading boots, they are gonna need to be a size or two bigger than your shoe size.  It is best to go somewhere and try them on while wearing your waders.  

I wear a size 13 shoe.  I need a size 15 wading boot to be comfortable.

I have to go worth stocking foot. It's allot more comfortable for a long walk, plus it's always a plus that you can get whatever boot you like. I don't like boot foot, even though they are more convenient, I can never get a good fit. They are always either too tight or too big. 

I fish rocks and sand beaches, but mostly sand beaches. I don’t see why you would wear stocking foot walking the sand. If you stand in the surf long enough your boots will fill with sand no matter how much you try to avoid it and weigh them down. It’s also a lot more convenient to slip them on and off. If I’m walking on rock beaches stocking foot I think is required for stability on your ankles. Boot foots offer zero support. 

On 5/3/2022 at 8:35 PM, Slacker said:

I have both. 

Boot foot are convenient but clunky to transport.  I don't really find walking in them to be uncomfortable.

Stocking foot are easier to pack.  I don't love the wader stocking foot shoved into the boot feeling... it's like wearing boots with multiple pairs of socks - I don't find that particularly comfortable.  And there is the sand accumulation between the waders and the boots issue.

It's pretty much a personal preference thing.

These look comfy.

B2QOq-kIUAAoTfV.jpg.ccd71da561ea2f572201534ac8ed7845.jpg

4 hours ago, SnoozeFishing said:

I fish rocks and sand beaches, but mostly sand beaches. I don’t see why you would wear stocking foot walking the sand. If you stand in the surf long enough your boots will fill with sand no matter how much you try to avoid it and weigh them down. It’s also a lot more convenient to slip them on and off. If I’m walking on rock beaches stocking foot I think is required for stability on your ankles. Boot foots offer zero support. 

Completely agree.

JD