PeteA

Boot foot or stocking foot for surf casting???

Rate this topic

Which do you prefer for saltwater surf?    46 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer and why?

• Boot foot
    • Stocking foot

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

Which do you prefer for saltwater surf boot foot or stocking foot and why? 

If your parking your truck and standing there boot foot offer a lot of convenience. If your really walking boot foot suck.

grew up using boot foot and to be honest after I switched to stocking foot I’ll never go back  

The ONLY scenario I would ever use boot foot again, is if I was fishing only on sandy beaches 

that do not require long walks, 

I don't even own boot foots anymore.... Stocking foot plus separate boots are so much more comfortable.   I don't fish sand much, so its a no brainer. 

I have both. 

Boot foot are convenient but clunky to transport.  I don't really find walking in them to be uncomfortable.

Stocking foot are easier to pack.  I don't love the wader stocking foot shoved into the boot feeling... it's like wearing boots with multiple pairs of socks - I don't find that particularly comfortable.  And there is the sand accumulation between the waders and the boots issue.

It's pretty much a personal preference thing.

Buy both, plus a backup.

3 mins ago, Slacker said:

I have both. 

Boot foot are convenient but clunky to transport.  I don't really find walking in them to be uncomfortable.

Stocking foot are easier to pack.  I don't love the wader stocking foot shoved into the boot feeling... it's like wearing boots with multiple pairs of socks - I don't find that particularly comfortable.  And there is the sand accumulation between the waders and the boots issue.

It's pretty much a personal preference thing.

Find a local store that carry simms bootfoot. Try one on and walk a bit in the store.

Boot foot for me….I don't love the wader stocking foot shoved into the boot feeling... it's like wearing boots with multiple pairs of socks - I don't find that particularly comfortable.  And there is the sand accumulation between the waders and the boots issue…..another issue is it is a problem trying to put on stocking foot when you have a back that limits your mobility

Stocking foot waders are cheap and tons of brands make them. Since basically all waders will eventually leak, it’s nice to have a good pair of wading boots and replace the waders as needed. 

You will get sand in the boot, but it’s not much of a problem. If there’s heavy surf I’ll put a rubber band around the gravel guard which seems to keep most of the sand out. 

I concur with others, if you walk more than from your car to a single spot, boot foot waders suck. 

All bootfoots not created equal. LL Bean's modestly more expensive bootfoot waders have a boot that I feel is way less comfortable than the TEK bootfoot wader. The TEK bootfoot is actually pretty comfortable. The other ones are either meh or uncomfortable. 

Replacing the pads in the boots with something from the store helps a lot too I guess. 

IF you do a lot of quick trips on sand and like to take off waders while driving or anything like that bootfoots are the way to go!

2 hours ago, Pistol Pete said:

The ONLY scenario I would ever use boot foot again, is if I was fishing only on sandy beaches 

that do not require long walks, 

I don't even own boot foots anymore.... Stocking foot plus separate boots are so much more comfortable.   I don't fish sand much, so its a no brainer. 

Pretty much my take. Unless I’m fishing a few feet from my truck on open beach, its stocking foot. But if in scenario one, boot foot rules. 

Proper fitting stocking foot Waders Trump bootfoot

Boot. 

When I used to walk far, I'd toss the waders over my shoulders amd walk in comfortable shoes & pants/shorts. Put the waders on when I got there.   Unless my route was in the water.  Then I wore them.  

Bootfoot are easier on/off

Used to hike 3-4miles to backwoods swamps & beaverponds.  Didn't matter what type of of wader boot, you'd be sweat soaked to the skin in no time hiking in waders.   I used the same MO while fishing.  

I love my stocking foot for trout fishing, long walks into the woods etc. Also, whenever having to navigate uneven and difficult stocking foot every time.

My problem with stocking foot is no mater what type of gators or whatever, I get sand in between my stocking foot waders and my boot. The boots get heavy and very uncomfortable. I've tried so many different supposed solutions and configurations to no avail.

Walking on flat sand, I choose light weight breathable waders. Of course they need to fit well, and one needs the proper wading pant and socks. Also, if one uses orthotics, they should be in the bottom of your boot foot as well.

Best regards!

JD