pressphotog

May 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

430 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, pressphotog said:

Yeah something was definitely up.  Looking at my photo longer it has some damage on the gill plate too.   I've seen some fish with the cauliflower like growth on them that had similar shading.  It made me wonder if this fish was headed in that direction or like your thinking was just terribly cared for after being caught.   

Could it have been caught in a commercial net and released as by catch?

Okay I went out again out back MoCO, thought if I told the fish I wasn’t going there anymore they’d show up. Different spot, good current, wind was all over the place 3 hours of the outgoing and nada. Had a small pod of tiny fish swim past me, one tried to grab the darter and failed. Got two weird wind knots tonight. Most of my fishing is with sluggos and tension sometimes is tough. But then I throw on a darter tonight,  get windknot but when I finally get the windknot off the spool, the line just splits in half. Almost like the line was twisted so much it cut itself. Happened twice never seen that before. Oh well that was my last time making that trip ;)

Eeeeels, any sign of bunker?  Spots where they are normally a nuisance have had few if any.  Very slow pick last night.  Looks like I shouldn't have left fish to find fish.   

15 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Zip ties !!

That's a hell of an idea :idea:

Ive used zip ties for years to prolong life of plastic on jig. Too bad they dont help with the boofish cigar problem though. Need to invent a chain mail sluggo. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

52 mins ago, richs said:

Eeeeels, any sign of bunker?  Spots where they are normally a nuisance have had few if any.  Very slow pick last night.  Looks like I shouldn't have left fish to find fish.   

There was a boatload of bunker getting eaten by whales open the hook this morning Outfront

Edited by Eeeeels

10 mins ago, bdowning said:

Ive used zip ties for years to prolong life of plastic on jig. Too bad they dont help with the boofish cigar problem though. Need to invent a chain mail sluggo. 

exactly why I tied up some of these this winter.  Extra tail length tied onto articulated shanks.  Fish like em so far.

CDEB7948-EE13-4E17-BEEC-17351014769B.jpeg

C013EDE6-EDCB-4B1B-B80E-3B8C7B80BE86.jpeg

Have been out of town for over a week so no chance to be out there.  Back at it this morning in the local waters that looked great but couldn't find any activity.  Whale went by along with some dolphins and gannets diving offshore.  Seeing @DeeMonee posting a fish on bugs got me to get that rod out and give it a try too.  Still no success.  Will make a move north in the morning to see what I can find.  Good to be back on the sand.

First fishing trip of year. From kayak. Left after bigger one wasn’t quite sure I was ok. First one hard to measure flopping around but knew it was in 17.5 to 18.5 range. Not complaining but kinda difficult with new regs. Live bait was ticket. Smaller one was under 18 as long as u don’t pinch tail !!!

25EFFFBC-72B5-4BA9-863C-85E1785A459E.jpeg

Doldrums in my part of the world, literally nothing going on, less then a handful fluke caught in the inlet and nothing else - even the shad have disappeared & our front eerily quiet   Better to the N at night still a decent bass bite, a tad slower but spread out so you can find your own way. Smoked a cigar where the old 7/11 once was for nostalgia purposes in the wee hours & retied while it rained Things feel a week or so behind & cold

On 5/3/2022 at 8:38 PM, JimK said:

Obviously this fish has been caught more than once before.. dragged up the sand for pics.. wore the stripes right off.. 

Is that a joke?  It’s not like they are painted on, the stripes are in the scales of the fish……