pressphotog

May 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

431 posts in this topic

Out front early this morning before work.  1 blue on a hydro minnow and then I found a sweet spot with white water rolling off the bar that held a dozen fish that only wanted to bucktail way out end end of the cast.. I dropped a nice bass right at my feet and also had a big black drum on too.   I struggled today keeping the fish buttoned.   I lost way more than I hooked.  

3 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Nice stormy conditions this AM with that SSE wind. Clean clear cool water, end of incoming. Nada. Anyone see the notice about the state parks? Will the beach buggy folks get reimbursed for IBSP. Sandy hook is federal, right?!?

I dont believe beach buggy access is included in this free parks plan. Seeing is how that place is now going to be a **** show I recommend keeping and using it for when ibsp is at full capacity. 

3 hours ago, Slowwwride said:

Yes federal park. Technically it is free to walk on if I am not mistaken. You could walk over the bridge and be alright. The fees are for parking and are paid per vehicle. The night fishing permit is a la carte as we all know/

There is no fee to do everything except using the swimming beaches and parking. Fishing is free, lighthouse, trails, birdwatching and biking. Just show your gear and your in. People park on Highlands and walk over to the free beaches with no lifeguards.

10 mins ago, saltyh2ofly said:

There is no fee to do everything except using the swimming beaches and parking. Fishing is free, lighthouse, trails, birdwatching and biking. Just show your gear and your in. People park on Highlands and walk over to the free beaches with no lifeguards.

This is true but you can’t park in the main lots like bcde 

10 hours ago, BillHoo said:

,,Ah yes.  The 80s, medical waste, dead dolphins, the occasional weighted down mob boss,,,, good times.

The mob boss washed up only it the landfill was full at the time.  Secaucus landfill was not giving and burial plats permits that week

5 hours ago, MEF said:

had some fun today with the vintage atom jr off the beach. couple fish right around 30”

Nice fish on a cool ol school plug but keep the dry sand off of it.

4 hours ago, Goldy said:

This is true but you can’t park in the main lots like bcde 

Those are bathing lots B,C,D.E...as noted in my answer. What bites is the non fishermen at the Fishing Beach. 

OC out front this morning 530-730am. Caught one on an SP, didn’t see anyone else hook up while I was there. Water was a little dirty where I was. Hopefully getting back out later again

EF1C4CF8-378D-4677-81D5-0EE1D5DE03BA.jpeg

I gave it a quick hit this morning and had just one decent size bluefish. I'm finding bluefish REALLY like the white hydrominnow.  The bass I had yesterday have moved out.    I did see some terns diving on something inside the bar I was fishing here and there but nothing came from it.   

After sun up all the googans showed up fishing the remainder of the good spots I was at.  I mean it is a holiday weekend and I was expecting this and it's ok.   I actually find the choices made on rigging, bait or lures used to be widely entertaining.   The winner this morning was a 'fisherman' with a high low rig and on each dropper there was no bait but instead two fresh water lures.  One was a frog lure and the other looked to be a spinner bait with the spinner blade taken off.  I left the beach with a smile on my face.  I didn't get skunked and I seen something amazing.