pressphotog

May 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

507 posts in this topic

This afternoon, on the boat (cheating I know), in awful south east conditions, I lost one of the largest striped bass ive ever seen right at the boat. Nothing before it, Nothing after it. I will now be climbing into bed and stare at the ceiling and sulk..

 

I thought maybe my rangers might be able to lift me up, but once they let up that short handed goal in the 1st, I just knew that wasn't going to happen either. Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, joefishnj21 said:

This afternoon, on the boat (cheating I know), in awful south east conditions, I lost one of the largest striped bass ive ever seen right at the boat. Nothing before it, Nothing after it. I will now be climbing into bed and stare at the ceiling and sulk..

 

I thought maybe my rangers might be able to lift me up, but once they let up that short handed goal in the 1st, I just knew that wasn't going to happen either. Haha

If you don't mind me asking, was this out front or in the back?

 

Reminds me of the first time I hooked a beauty and lost it right at the boat too. This was 3-4 years ago, after numerous skunks on my 1st and only boat (so far), I saw a whale cruising and feeding. I decided to troll a mojo well behind him hoping a bass would think like I did. Sure enough I hook up and get the fish alongside the boat. Like a dummy though, I reach back for the net which was up in a hardtop rod holder, and with the back and forth of going for the net and back to the gunnel, I got some slack in my line and the fish came unbuttoned. I thought about that one for a long time afterward. I should've just barehanded it and pulled the fish in, but for some reason I felt I had to use the net...ya big dummy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, joefishnj21 said:

This afternoon, on the boat (cheating I know), in awful south east conditions, I lost one of the largest striped bass ive ever seen right at the boat. Nothing before it, Nothing after it. I will now be climbing into bed and stare at the ceiling and sulk..

 

I thought maybe my rangers might be able to lift me up, but once they let up that short handed goal in the 1st, I just knew that wasn't going to happen either. Haha

I don’t expect anything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

 

If you don't mind me asking, was this out front or in the back?

 

Reminds me of the first time I hooked a beauty and lost it right at the boat too. This was 3-4 years ago, after numerous skunks on my 1st and only boat (so far), I saw a whale cruising and feeding. I decided to troll a mojo well behind him hoping a bass would think like I did. Sure enough I hook up and get the fish alongside the boat. Like a dummy though, I reach back for the net which was up in a hardtop rod holder, and with the back and forth of going for the net and back to the gunnel, I got some slack in my line and the fish came unbuttoned. I thought about that one for a long time afterward. I should've just barehanded it and pulled the fish in, but for some reason I felt I had to use the net...ya big dummy!

Out back. Well im glad im not alone. Haha. I wont even say what I thought potential weight was cuz who really knows, but the fish had that dinosaur, is this thing even real look? Haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Night shift 830pm - 330am creeping out back. Had one just under slot and lost another right before landing within the first 30 minutes. Not much else going on after that except miles of walking. Observed some silversides here and there. Checked out some new areas with no action whatsoever. Fog, cloud, and occasional drizzle made a very dark night.  @MVTee picked a blue and missed a couple of others about ten minutes before closing time. Probably should have worked that area further but getting way too late/early for me. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, blind squirl said:

I’ve never seen so much garbage in the water as I saw yesterday afternoon. It felt like the 1980’s all over again. 

,,Ah yes.  The 80s, medical waste, dead dolphins, the occasional weighted down mob boss,,,, good times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had similar outings as pres(sorry for your loss!) and as someone else reported, a couple weeks ago. Would add small worms to the white bait discussion. Atleast around the last moon. I noticed something strange and was also getting more misses (than usual) on the wood. Made a presentation switch and it was a steady pick every 45-60 minutes of within the slot fish. Really finicky and tricky but fun of course!

Edited by Basswiper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a short mia from fishing, I was able to give it a shot during the slight onshore blow Wednesday. It was nice to be back on the sand. I caved in and went to throwing snot for some reason. Nada for my efforts besides someone else's braid and a balloon I chased down in the wash. Gladly brought back with me. Saw some bait in the corner of a rip but couldn't identify. Appeared to be bunkah.

 

The hoses were nicely coiled and next time I'm sticking to pencil poppin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice stormy conditions this AM with that SSE wind. Clean clear cool water, end of incoming. Nada. Anyone see the notice about the state parks? Will the beach buggy folks get reimbursed for IBSP. Sandy hook is federal, right?!?

Edited by DeeMonee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, DeeMonee said:

Nice stormy conditions this AM with that SSE wind. Clean clear cool water, end of incoming. Nada. Anyone see the notice about the state parks? Will the beach buggy folks get reimbursed for IBSP. Sandy hook is federal, right?!?

Yes federal park. Technically it is free to walk on if I am not mistaken. You could walk over the bridge and be alright. The fees are for parking and are paid per vehicle. The night fishing permit is a la carte as we all know/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.