pressphotog

May 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

507 posts in this topic

Beautiful AM today. Light easterly, end of outgoing into the flip, nice surf and clean water. Nada out front, no bait or life except a washed up dolphin. Went out back for the last half of the outing and landed 2 blues on sp minnows to save me from the skunk. Felt bad. One of them choked the SP and the rear hook was in the gills. I offered it to anyone close by but no takers. Crime scene but he swam away without a beat.

40 mins ago, DeeMonee said:

Beautiful AM today. Light easterly, end of outgoing into the flip, nice surf and clean water. Nada out front, no bait or life except a washed up dolphin. Went out back for the last half of the outing and landed 2 blues on sp minnows to save me from the skunk. Felt bad. One of them choked the SP and the rear hook was in the gills. I offered it to anyone close by but no takers. Crime scene but he swam away without a beat.

Nothing else to do if you can't keep it.  It won't go to waste, crabs gotta eat too.  Not like morons that used to fill up garbage cans with them, then throw them in a dumpster. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Still slow, clear water with a light NE now and fog, rainfish about but nothing else, not even shad Silly season starts tomorrow 

edit incoming current brought shad

Edited by suntzu

Checked out a river up north prior to the t-storms but it was chocolate milk. I’m sure the storms didn’t help the cause. I will check some other waters tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Late report from Last night   MoCo outback   9:00 PM to 1:20 AM   Light Variable Breeze shifting from SE to NE and back.   Glassy water with some small baitfish dimpling the surface of the water.  The smell of Bunker was in the air.  Did actually see a bunker wake the surface of the water.  First time this year for bunker sighting.    Best of all I had the place to myself, nobody else around ...  I would occasionally hear the splash of Stripers ambushing bait...   but it turned out to be a slow pick...   First hookup was after about an hour and made a big splash on the surface and frothed up the surface of the water then took a screaming run ... then slack..  Hook Pulled out...  Next one wasn't for another 2 hours..  Solid hit and took some nice runs.   Walked it into the beach 31 inches.   Dead for another hour and I was going through my last 3 cast routine when I got another solid hit.   Fought hard took a few nice runs ...  another 31 inch striper    Had 3 hookups all night each an hour or 2 apart.   Stayed for another 20 min but then packed it in  

Can i ask what you are fishing this time of the year if a 31” fish is taking drag on multiple runs.  

i only ask bc if you hook a 40” fish then what

30 mins ago, Goldy said:

Can i ask what you are fishing this time of the year if a 31” fish is taking drag on multiple runs.  

i only ask bc if you hook a 40” fish then what

10 ft Aerial Star rated for 2-5 oz lures.  Penn Battle 6K  loaded with 30# Jbraid.   Although I was using my Steelhead rod with a Penn Clash2 4K for the first fish, afterwards switched over to the Aerial Star and Penn 6K  ...

I can always tighten down the drag some more if I wanted to, but I don't like to have my drag too tight....   

12 hours ago, SnoozeFishing said:

I'm on like a 5 outing skunk streak. I hate the spring out front. 

Same here.  The epic clam bite has not worked for me.  Day, night nothing.  Then I get home and see photos from shop of people with fish from same town I was in at same time.  Extra aggravating.

6 hours ago, Sam3631 said:

Same here.  The epic clam bite has not worked for me.  Day, night nothing.  Then I get home and see photos from shop of people with fish from same town I was in at same time.  Extra aggravating.

Those big fish are tempting, but probably a lot of angler hours go into those  few fish.  Best to stick to your knitting and fish moving water in hopes of finding a concentration. If you want to soak bait and have a nice day at the beach, then it's a great outing. It'll be packed today with folks beating the heat. 

We went from January to July in a week Packed beach & July 4th level boat traffic in SMC beautiful clear blue water; no bait around People will speak of blues It is true they are around but are sporadic at best and are the 1# variety Much smaller than the shad 

28 mins ago, suntzu said:

We went from January to July in a week Packed beach & July 4th level boat traffic in SMC beautiful clear blue water; no bait around People will speak of blues It is true they are around but are sporadic at best and are the 1# variety Much smaller than the shad 

Not a good omen for the future of the Bluefish population ....

Well i can say its close to over. You know how i know. I drove my kid up north to my mother and it was bumper to bumper back home.  

Hit out back around 8am til noon. 

2 bass, looked like clones, 33".  A few other pick ups. All on bunker chunks. Tried the bag but nothing doing artificial-wise.  Tried for fluke, really slow, 1 12", foul hooked to boot lol. 

Also picked up the first skate of the season. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/19/2022 at 7:18 PM, richie c said:

Dont know what it is but it looks interesting. Is it brass, it length? could you take a few more pics at different angles ?

It’s a Lilly iron, goes on the end of a harpoon. On the down side  in that pic there is a hole for 1/4 inch line.

Edited by MakoMike