pressphotog

May 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

507 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, pressphotog said:

I hit up a bay spot on the top of the tide into the outgoing and found my first night blitz of the season as the fish were crashing small 1-2 inch bait that I honestly don't know what they were.   They looked like spearing but were solid silver.  They were too narrow in profile to be a baby baby bunker. It wasn't rainfish either.   I wish I took a photo of one that I snagged so I could have researched that more when I got home   Anyway... Had a 6 fish to 33 inches.   They were HARD as hell to catch -  I just couldn't match the extremely small hatch they were on whose numbers where in the millions. I felt lucky as heck to have landed anything with all the bait I was competing against.  I caught each on different lures from bucktail to small wood plug.  All fish still swimming as always.  

IMG_5117.jpeg

Fish in the Bay – 11 Nov 2018 UC Davis Trawls – Anchovy Color Hypothesis. –  Otolith Geochemistry & Fish Ecology Laboratory

On 5/18/2022 at 3:50 PM, jetty eddy said:

tried mole crabs 10-11am smco nothing .Found this on the beach.

On a different subject

,the glimmer glass bridge must be the only one in the country where if its up you can backtrack and come on the other side,opposite of where you started and still have to wait before it reopens.

20220518_112657_001[1].jpg

Dont know what it is but it looks interesting. Is it brass, it length? could you take a few more pics at different angles ?

Just now, FishingmaniYaks said:

Bay Anchovies 

Yes

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Any tips on what size baits fluke are hitting in the back? 3", 6"?

5 inch gulp grubs on a bucktail or bare 1/2 oz lead head. New penny, pink shine mostly. Was shocked that none came on killies last week, which like others have said, gets it done early season. Keep it slow as well, no need for fast jigging. Got my largest just dragging it along the bottom. 3-8 foot depths mostly. Depending where you fish outging is usually best except further south. 

Was out back for daytime outgoing today, after the mud cleared finally came upon my first proper bait school, long train of fish hugging the break water down the beach, too small to positively ID (about 2 inches narrow profile) but wasn't any type of killifish at least. I was skunked throwing small lures, there was a pretty good lineup of people soaking bait didn't see anyone catching.

1 hour ago, Lou T said:

Fish in the Bay – 11 Nov 2018 UC Davis Trawls – Anchovy Color Hypothesis. –  Otolith Geochemistry & Fish Ecology Laboratory

Yeah - I've seen bay anchovy just never seen them at the size I was looking at.   New experience.  Thanks for this.  

1 hour ago, richie c said:

Dont know what it is but it looks interesting. Is it brass, it length? could you take a few more pics at different angles ?

That's an old brass or bronze harpoon head. Mostly used on Tuna but other species as well.  That's a cool find.

So I graduated from the sand to the boat yesterday.   Fish are here still in good numbers but in 20-40’ of water.  

I will make another observation.  A Lot of boats out for Thursday afternoon from 4-7pm.  More than usual I feel like.  It’s trophy troll fish time maybe that’s why.  

looking for top water action but too many boats. Just push them down.   Oh well.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I hit up the same spot last night that I blitzed fish the night before that and the bay anchovies by the millions were gone.  Bunker were there instead.   If hooking a bunker perfectly by the mouth means I wasn't skunked then I'll take it otherwise I was skunked.   A few hundred feet away a guy was having success with clams pretty actively.   

Edited by pressphotog

On 5/19/2022 at 8:02 AM, pressphotog said:

I hit up a bay spot on the top of the tide into the outgoing and found my first night blitz of the season as the fish were crashing small 1-2 inch bait that I honestly don't know what they were.   They looked like spearing but were solid silver.  They were too narrow in profile to be a baby baby bunker. It wasn't rainfish either.   I wish I took a photo of one that I snagged so I could have researched that more when I got home   Anyway... Had a 6 fish to 33 inches.   They were HARD as hell to catch -  I just couldn't match the extremely small hatch they were on whose numbers where in the millions. I felt lucky as heck to have landed anything with all the bait I was competing against.  I caught each on different lures from bucktail to small wood plug.  All fish still swimming as always.  

IMG_5117.jpeg

probably baby peanuts          

Screenshot (3).png

Just now, Chief2 said:

probably baby peanuts          

Screenshot (3).png

no @Chief2 it 100% wasn't.   @Lou T nailed it -   bay anchovy.    I seen them all grown up before just never in a very very juvenile state.  You always learn something new in this sport. 

12 hours ago, pressphotog said:

Yeah - I've seen bay anchovy just never seen them at the size I was looking at.   New experience.  Thanks for this.  

your quite welcome