pressphotog

May 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

507 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, bill cunnane said:

There was a time back in the 1960s where the blowfish were so thick in the bays and rivers that party boat props were hitting them on the way out the inlets and the boats were vibrating bad.  During that time bluefish. Fluke and other fish were almost non existent because the blowfish ate just about everything including the blue claw crabs.  Only thing that seem to eat the blowfish were blues and then they only ate the baby blows.  It wasn't until the blowfish numbers dropped that we saw blues and other fish make a comeback and even then it took a few years.  An old timer back they said its a cyclical thing.  One can only hope that the massive hordes of blowfish do not show up for awhile.

Interesting, thanks for sharing… good reminder that this is fishing and things change and fluctuate throughout the years… 

Many moons ago I would fish behind the acme on lbi and catch enough blow fish for dinner in a morning ….easier living back then… lol lol lol 

3 hours ago, Sheisty said:

Speaking of sand....

R.I.P. to the teen killed today when the sand collapsed be safe out there fellas.

I don't know the whole story but I understand he and his sister had dug a ten ft trench an it collapsed. Probably a replenished beach with very soft unstable sand.

If so I blame the town, the politicians and ACOE. Warnings should be posted.

i don't live there but any of you locals should contact your town officials and complain.

tried mole crabs 10-11am smco nothing .Found this on the beach.

On a different subject

,the glimmer glass bridge must be the only one in the country where if its up you can backtrack and come on the other side,opposite of where you started and still have to wait before it reopens.

20220518_112657_001[1].jpg

2 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

Many moons ago I would fish behind the acme on lbi and catch enough blow fish for dinner in a morning ….easier living back then… lol lol lol 

As kids, my friends and I would spend the day fishing and crabbing there.

Then we'd head to the Acme and the young cashiers would let us bag groceries for tips.

Heard they did very well in the back on outgoing tide. 

Had to fish late in the afternoon into darkness during incoming. Not a tap on anything. Clams, bunker, lures. Tried for fluke and nothing either. 

Tides really matter during the spring lol. 

16 hours ago, jetty eddy said:

tried mole crabs 10-11am smco nothing .Found this on the beach.

On a different subject

,the glimmer glass bridge must be the only one in the country where if its up you can backtrack and come on the other side,opposite of where you started and still have to wait before it reopens.

20220518_112657_001[1].jpg

If it opensIf it opens

On 5/17/2022 at 5:54 PM, Wampire said:

How is rolling white water a positive thing to see - that was what my question was. 

Rolling water and strong current discombobulates baitfish but has little effect on the the bass with it's big broad tail, makes it easy for the bass to catch its dinner.

Watch the white patch of water just behind the break as it rolls in. If fish are feeding you'll often see the tips of fins and tails.

I still remember that "ah ha!!" moment 15 years ago when this was pointed out to me by Vito (StripedBass50) while we were fishing a reef in Montauk. Each wave would have fish riding tight behind scooping up the whitebait. I caught 50 bass that day, cookie cutter 20"ers, then got bored and quit and poked around finding plugs while Vito kept going to 100 fish. IT was crazy ! 

Up until then I was looking for deeper water, holes, sloughs..... now I'm working the rough water at the edges of them and ignoring the open smooth water.

23 hours ago, bill cunnane said:

There was a time back in the 1960s where the blowfish were so thick in the bays and rivers that party boat props were hitting them on the way out the inlets and the boats were vibrating bad.  During that time bluefish. Fluke and other fish were almost non existent because the blowfish ate just about everything including the blue claw crabs.  Only thing that seem to eat the blowfish were blues and then they only ate the baby blows.  It wasn't until the blowfish numbers dropped that we saw blues and other fish make a comeback and even then it took a few years.  An old timer back they said its a cyclical thing.  One can only hope that the massive hordes of blowfish do not show up for awhile.

Yea, I read it was a 7 to 9 year cycle and an article around 2014 indicated that year was a big resurgence of blowfish.  So, I suspect this year or next to be the cyclic surge.

Judging by the reports of not seeing bluefish, maybe your observation is right on dee money!

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/17/2022 at 5:54 PM, Wampire said:

How is rolling white water a positive thing to see - that was what my question was. 

First it's camouflage for ambush predator fish like striped bass.  They will use the white water as cover.   Stripers are able to effortlessly navigate that water as they look for smaller baitfish that are getting tossed about.  Second it churns up the bottom and makes baitfish easy targets as the smaller fish cannot navigate that kind of water so well.  

I would say that he only time rolling white water is not a good thing to see is if it makes dirty water be that clarity,  full of weed, grass or garbage which can be a thing when the rolling water is a bit too much (think storms!)  

Edited by pressphotog

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Any tips on what size baits fluke are hitting in the back? 3", 6"?

I've always had better luck with killies for early season fluke. Then once the water warms up it's all gulp. 

If I'm using gulp early I tend to use the 4" ones. Then in mid/late June I'll use a 6" on the bucktail and a 4 inch penny shrimp on the high hook. 

Just me, though. Opinions vary. :D

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Any tips on what size baits fluke are hitting in the back? 3", 6"?

I was working the 4” mullet but biggest so far was a 6” grub on a Bucky. Early in the season the larger ones are looking for that shallow warm water. This year started out very well with a lot of fish over 18”. That’s what gets me with the current slot. It was literally hard getting ones in the range as most were over. I feel like as the season goes on into summer I slim it down and then go larger at the end of the season again with snappers and peanuts present.