pressphotog

May 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

507 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

Blues are not trash.  They are an amazing fighting fish for our shores.  I disagree with you. 

we dont like them bx our soft plastics get destroyed and bust some tackle.  But i love catching blues.  

Hands down my favorite fish to catch...Sure bass are fun to brag about..couple good runs and they are a wet sock coming in...a 15 lb bluefish fights the entire time...even those yellow eyes staring at you while you are getting a hook out. Many a childhood afternoon spent hauling in blues on days other fish weren't biting, and just as many adult afternoons for that matter... Love my Bluefish. Nothing better than a topwater bluefish bite in my eyes...fun fun and more fun. Tight lines-

4 mins ago, SurfMonster said:

Hands down my favorite fish to catch...Sure bass are fun to brag about..couple good runs and they are a wet sock coming in...a 15 lb bluefish fights the entire time...even those yellow eyes staring at you while you are getting a hook out. Many a childhood afternoon spent hauling in blues on days other fish weren't biting, and just as many adult afternoons for that matter... Love my Bluefish. Nothing better than a topwater bluefish bite in my eyes...fun fun and more fun. Tight lines-

I agree on all points.  They are awesome. I love top water bluefish.  People complain they are easy to catch.  Well this year they are non existent 

3 hours ago, Goldy said:

Blues are not trash.  They are an amazing fighting fish for our shores.  I disagree with you. 

we dont like them bx our soft plastics get destroyed and bust some tackle.  But i love catching blues.  

Bluefish are the trailer park trash of the fishing world.

3 mins ago, bbfish said:

Unfort that ignorant attitude is why the fishery is in trouble.  
since your a big tuna fisherman. Blues are key to the food chain

1 min ago, Goldy said:

Unfort that ignorant attitude is why the fishery is in trouble.  
since your a big tuna fisherman. Blues are key to the food chain

Lol, relax.

36 mins ago, BillHoo said:

Have Blowfish, triggers, spanish macs or kingfish shown up yet?

Or is it too early?

Blowfish are around…. They have begun destroying my gulp while fluke fishing 

Water has cleaned up since yesterday but the surf is starting to lay down.  Could only find a single dink that went for the white swimmer.  Found a few spots to send out some bugs, just no takers.  Did see a couple of mid 20 inch fish pulled out using clams.

Quiet but interesting AM for me. Ventured down south and pulled into the parking lot around sunrise and there were 4 school buses and security SUV there. Someone was walking back from the beach and smirked at me. They said ‘…you got a lot of company fishing…’ I thought it was a DOC beach clean up of something. However, when I walked on, there were all girls Hacidic sunrise prayers going on spread out up and down the stretch of beach. I should’ve taken a pic. Anyway, light WNW, middle of incoming, flat clean ocean, little current and surf action. Little life out there, only a couple of osprey not finding much either. However, towards the end of the outing there were small splashes just out of range. Casted towards it and was saved from the skunk by my first bluefish of the year that took the teaser.

17 hours ago, MC55 said:

So let me add a bit more.  In my years of walking the sand, unless there are clouds of bait to be found, still flat water is the most unproductive conditions to fish.  Bass are more active in a rolling surf that kicks up food and is easier for them to hide and ambush prey.  Rough water tends to give them cover.  For the fisherman you can find the holes, cuts, rips, bars and all the different structures that might hold fish by reading that rolling water.  Always prefer to fish in rough conditions.  Give me a NE wind any day.

I think you need to caveat your statement (which i agree with btw)  that it refers to day time fishing. 

flat calm isn't always the greatest condition at night but its nota  death sentence to a bite either. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Speaking of sand....

R.I.P. to the teen killed today when the sand collapsed be safe out there fellas.

Edited by Sheisty

4 hours ago, bbfish said:

Id probably feel the same way catching a fish like that tuna on a popper...Man that has to be unreal. 

There was a time back in the 1960s where the blowfish were so thick in the bays and rivers that party boat props were hitting them on the way out the inlets and the boats were vibrating bad.  During that time bluefish. Fluke and other fish were almost non existent because the blowfish ate just about everything including the blue claw crabs.  Only thing that seem to eat the blowfish were blues and then they only ate the baby blows.  It wasn't until the blowfish numbers dropped that we saw blues and other fish make a comeback and even then it took a few years.  An old timer back they said its a cyclical thing.  One can only hope that the massive hordes of blowfish do not show up for awhile.

10 mins ago, SurfMonster said:

Id probably feel the same way catching a fish like that tuna on a popper...Man that has to be unreal. 

Nothing beats top water tuna…. 

0AEDE157-029D-4CEF-9024-AD3B68209837.jpeg