Roccus7

North of Portland 2022

Rate this topic

217 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

32 mins ago, makomakoman said:

What did you do in Illinois?  quite a change of scenery to the Harpswell area.  

Not in Harpswell, I'm further "North of Portland."  Regardless I worked in Northern Illinois close to the Wisconsin border, and being a North Fork of Long Island Boy, it was pure hell.  However not being able to purse my striped nemesis allowed me to concentrate on a career and family.  Now I can make up for 24 years away from the salt by fishing every day that I feel like it.  It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it...

Funny Midwest Story:  I met some coworkers down in Waukegan Harbor, yeah "Outboard Marine Corporation, FOB Waukegan",  to try to catch some salmon from the shore.  When we got there it was like a Long Island Bluefish Blitz, breaking fish and diving birds.  We all caught 3-4 chinook and coho salmon each.  As we sat around after the blitz talking, a colleague from Oak Ridge TN exclaimed "I ain't ever seen fishing like that!!"  My immediate response was, "That is how Poseidon meant for man to fish!!"

Edited by Roccus7

I worked right out of College in Wi/Mi border (north of Green Bay) for 7 months..  Man they sure can drink beer out there.. lol

I realized that I could not live anyplace that was longer than a few hours from the Ocean.

There's no place like home, there's no place like home...

Wind finally started to lay down this evening and I was off to the new morning spot, over on the next river. Hit my morning spot for an hour with NOTHING.  I was furious and failure was NOT an option.  Looked at my watch & tide chart and even though I thought my home river was done, a primo tide and one of my old standards seemed to be calling me.

I got there just as the sun was down below the horizon, magic time!!

62b12c93281f9_june202022sunset.jpg.b4c2d766a10d675981e135d49b30b680.jpg

I vowed I'd take one drift and if there was no action, I'd succumb to Pepe LePew's siren song.  

Well Poseidon intervened and on my second cast of the first drift I boated a 20" fish and my next cast was followed by a 30+" fish that calmly turned away as I picked up the lure.  Took a second drift and hooked up, and dropped the anchor to hook up the boat.  Spent 30 fun filled minutes have some sort of action on every other cast, but typical bass MO in that as the light receded, the strength and sincerity of the strikes abated too.

Ended the evening with 5 fish, 19 - 27" and a broad grin...

Been fishing, but the combination of meh tides and preparing for, along with the arrival of the Munchkins for their yearly visit has limited my fishing of late.  Did get out with my son this morning and we got 4 stripahs to 25".  Tough fishing, especially since a couple of bigger girls came up to visit his popper, frustrating him no end...

On 6/20/2022 at 5:57 PM, Roccus7 said:

Not in Harpswell, I'm further "North of Portland."  Regardless I worked in Northern Illinois close to the Wisconsin border, and being a North Fork of Long Island Boy, it was pure hell.  However not being able to purse my striped nemesis allowed me to concentrate on a career and family.  Now I can make up for 24 years away from the salt by fishing every day that I feel like it.  It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it...

Funny Midwest Story:  I met some coworkers down in Waukegan Harbor, yeah "Outboard Marine Corporation, FOB Waukegan",  to try to catch some salmon from the shore.  When we got there it was like a Long Island Bluefish Blitz, breaking fish and diving birds.  We all caught 3-4 chinook and coho salmon each.  As we sat around after the blitz talking, a colleague from Oak Ridge TN exclaimed "I ain't ever seen fishing like that!!"  My immediate response was, "That is how Poseidon meant for man to fish!!"

Did you get into ice fishing when you were on the wisconsin/illinois border?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Scott Charlton said:

Did you get into ice fishing when you were on the wisconsin/illinois border?

Ice fishing was never a passion of mine, even on LI and here in Maine.  I'd rather tromp around the woods on my snowshoes instead of sitting/standing around waiting for a flag to pop...

Edited by Roccus7

Tides are tough or different than I expected making decisions on time and lure choice do a 180. In the past 3 nights my favorite pearl bomber drew close to 50 looks, crashes and slaps with no lips. Some were some small with quite a few in the mid 20’s . Strange, then as I said a white tipped buck tail tipped was the ticket. Maybe a little transitioning to smell and open water?First round of family left, shortly another group. With 4Th of July coming our dachshund will be going nuts. Pass the Corona’s please!

Posted (edited)

Fish and Fireworks

The Grandpa, Daddy, and Wind Tunnel Schedules finally abated and aligned last night, and my son and I got out for a quick jaunt into the harbor.  We hit a blitz a few hundred yards from the dock and put a dozen 21 - 23" "swimming Blunt" stripahs over the rail, and were back on the dock in less than an hour just as a neighbor started a nice firework show for our viewing pleasure.

As many have mentioned in Maine this season, the fish were extremely fat and very healthy; no swimming heads around here. 

Boat season to date total is now over 200.

Edited by Roccus7

Night bite was silly tonight 

wind kicked up…..really..again

found some shelter on the flooding flat behind the islands 

big girls came to the party…

They wanted fresh pogie chunks..

I love those girls 

7F213718-7567-4DED-B8E6-0BE21110A8C0.jpeg

6 hours ago, jimbighead said:

I love those girls 

Awesome, your own fireworks!

9 hours ago, jimbighead said:

I love those girls 

Great fish! 

Posted (edited)

A Slot Fish Hat Trick 4th of July!!

My son has been chomping at the bit as I've been pulling in many slot fish the past 2 years, and he's had yet to get a fish once the minimum was raised to 28".  Until last year, it was an extreme rarity for me also, my average being around 3-4 per year.  Last year he just missed out with a 27" fish, and I was bound and determined to put him on a "Keepah" this year.  

Regrettably, weather and parenting, along with the predilection of the bass to be on a first light to sun up feed at "The Spot", has made this task quite onerous to date.  Last night I decided that today would be the day, and  screw the sleep.  We headed out the door at 04:05 and my son started casting about 04:20, as I played guide more than fishing buddy.  Within 10 minutes he was onto a fish that surprised both of us, as it never really went on any long runs, but it kept up with the classic mongo headshakes and bulldog tendencies consistent with a decent bass.  Five minutes later, I slipped a net under a nice 28.5" fish so mission accomplished!!

Now that that was out of the way I decided to toss a few casts and was rocked by a decent fish, a nice fat 28" one that was quickly released.  The fish gave us some cardiac irregularities when it approached the boat with 2 of its larger sisters alongside, but they did not try to hit the plug in my fish's mouth, and my son couldn't entice either one.  I also watched as the fish spit up a pretty decent sized Rock Crab, which may have finally answered why this particular, rocky area is so prolific.  My son kept fishing and landed another 4 fish, from 20 - 26".  As the sun popped over the horizon, things died and we decided to head back to the barn.  

As we entered the harbor we found a few Whack A Mole tourney's underway and played twice, pulling in a fish apiece, with "the old man" getting a decisive win when the boat's third 28" fish on the morning, another one that was allowed to swim away.  All in all, a wonderful way to celebrate our country's 246th birthday!!

Edited by Roccus7

Another Slot Stripah Spectacular...

After being used and abused by the local bass last evening, I decided to "commute" today.  The fish last night were toying with the plug, only hooked 2 out of a dozen fish that slapped and/or swirled at the popper, and dropped both of those, one of which being a definite slot fish.  Not wanting to repeat that debacle today, I dragged my azz out of bed at 04:00 and headed over to the next river.

Got there just as dawn was breaking, and was disconcerted when the first drift was fruitless.  Things turned around quickly as the next drift yielded a 28" fish on the first cast, which was quickly released.  The bite continued well with an additional 6 fish, one a 30" beauty, also released.  

Per SOP at this spot, as soon as the sun came over the horizon, the fish started with tepid and insincere strikes, along with the most frustrating tail slapping of the plug back at me.  Not wanting to further my abuse at the fins of the stripers, I headed back home, only to see a Whack A Mole blitz 100 yds from my dock.  I figured "WTF" and dropped a quarter into the machine, and was dutifully abused by my striped nemeses with a few disinterested swirls and a couple of plug tail slaps.  

Gave it up, but a couple of breaks 50 yds from the dock made the Devil pop up on my shoulder, "Aren't you going to try???"  I yielded and this time the plug was rocked, and I notched another 28" fish for the day's tally of 3 keepahs and 5 schoolies, a good reason for sleep deprivation.  

Stripers wouldn't let me get home!!

As I walked down to the dock in the pre-dawn darkness, the silence was broken by the rustling in the woods of Bambi scurrying away.  To me that deer was a harbinger of a great day of fishing, as just about every time I get startled by a deer, it's a good morning's fishing.

Got to the spot and had action on the second cast.  Fished till just after sunrise and had 9 fish from 19 -29 ", with lots of action and interest in my lures, but far fewer solid hits.  Just as I said to myself "One more cast after this one" the water exploded as a very large, and none too pleased, fish crashed my lure and took off on a good 40 yd sprint.  Since I was in the very rare situation of drifting away from the shore in deep water, with no lobster traps nor obstacles in sight, I had the luxury of allowing the fish to tire herself out, and 5 min later I slipped the net under another Maine personal best striper, a 34 3/4" beauty.  She weighed 18 lbs on the Boga, and was one gorgeous fish, contender for the centerfold in next month's Playstripah.  

As it took some time to get her unhooked, I was sorely tempted to keep her, or at least take a photo, but I decided the right thing to do was to quickly weigh her and then mount an all-out effort to revive her for release with no further delays.  It took a good 5 minutes of work, but she suddenly shook her head, freeing her from my grip on her jaw, and quickly turned to swim away.  

Took a few more casts, but the Weekend Warriors were starting to buzz around and I didn't want anyone to see where I had been fishing so I took off for home, excited, but pretty tired.  Although the best part of waking up are stripers on your line, there was a definite need for some Folger's at this point...  

As I entered the Harbor, I noticed some fish breaking in a spot notorious for rats, so I passed on that.  A bit further up the river, I saw a small pod of feeding fish, some of reasonable size, but the need for caffeine continued to push me homeward.

When I came around the point just down river from my dock the entire width of the river was covered with feeding stripers.  The way to the dock was blocked by feeding fish!!!

Well, the burning desire for caffeine suddenly disappeared and I grabbed the rod and tossed my popper into the melee.  The first cast was totally ignored by the fish, which had me thinking, "Good, they're playing hard to get so why not get that coffee after this cast?" any you can guess what happened then - just no rest for the weary around here.  I spent the next 20 minutes slowly working my way towards my dock, picking up an additional 5 fish from 19 - 23" for the morning's tally of 15 fish from 19 - 34.5" with 2 keepahs, that are both out there swimming.  And yes, that cup of coffee tasted excellent!!