Roccus7

North of Portland 2022

Rate this topic

217 posts in this topic

I will be  in Boothbay harbor next week as well. Coming up from Jersey. Will have fly rods in tow, have not decided on a spinning rod yet. Dark grey Tacoma with Jersey plates.

My first time so looking forward to it.

Fishing has dropped like the Market, and guess who came to visit today?

pepe.jpg.eba8f486a2d1a10f39e3a4b8b488175d.jpg

Haven't been skunked in June in years, but the handwriting was on the wall.  3 fish on Saturday AM, with a few dropped, and only 2 caught yesterday, the only 2 hits of the morning.  Today I went out with my BIL and hit all the spots hard, only having one swirl to show for it...  The Roccus is NOT amused!!

2 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Fishing has dropped like the Market, and guess who came to visit today?

pepe.jpg.eba8f486a2d1a10f39e3a4b8b488175d.jpg

Haven't been skunked in June in years, but the handwriting was on the wall.  3 fish on Saturday AM, with a few dropped, and only 2 caught yesterday, the only 2 hits of the morning.  Today I went out with my BIL and hit all the spots hard, only having one swirl to show for it...  The Roccus is NOT amused!!

It’s all over man! 

Posted (edited)

Vindication, but a Pyrrhic Victory...

A second visit from Pepe was NOT an option so I "commuted" today to an adjoining body of water.  The only kicker was an extreme Full Moon Low Tide meaning I had to shove off from my dock by 04:00, lest I wait until almost 08:00.  Sleep was not easy over last night, in that I was afraid that I might had left my engine down, so I was at the dock at 03:50, all set to shove off, even though the engine had been raised and I could have gone back to sleep.

Crawled out of the harbor trying to avoid moorings and lobster pots, only to creep over to the next estuary, having to avoid lobster pots.  Got at "the spot" at first light and was delighted when my second cast elicited interest.  After a few more casts that were hounded, but not struck at, by some nice middle 20" bass, I finally tied into a feisty 25" fish so no skunking today.  Continued to pick at them for the next 45 minutes, ending up with 6 fish.  

Just as I was considering packing it in my plug got sucked into a massive surface explosion of one very pissed off striper.  The fish ran right up to the beach instead of away, getting dangerously close to a lobster pot.  I got her away from that and soon the battle had turned in my favor.  As the fish approached the boat for the first time I saw her, a 30+" fish that was destined for my dinner table tonight.  Regrettably Poseidon had other ideas and as the fish turned away from the boat, I felt the hook pull out of her.  I did my best @Scott Charlton imitation when I lost her, JK Scott ;-)

Oh well, fished for another 20 min and dropped a mid20" fish, telling me it was time to head back to the barn.  Morning's tally was half a dozen fish from 21 - 25", all in all a good reason not to sleep in...

First light at "The Spot"...

62aa1946e29a5_june15.jpg.dcad91ba692b87fe1cd0d03268b7d8a5.jpg

Edited by Roccus7

5 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Vindication, but a Pyrrhic Victory...

A second visit from Pepe was NOT an option so I "commuted" today to an adjoining body of water.  The only kicker was an extreme Full Moon Low Tide meaning I had to shove off from my dock by 04:00, lest I wait until almost 08:00.  Sleep was not easy over last night, in that I was afraid that I might had left my engine down, so I was at the dock at 03:50, all set to shove off, even though the engine had been raised and I could have gone back to sleep.

Crawled out of the harbor trying to avoid moorings and lobster pots, only to creep over to the next estuary, having to avoid lobster pots.  Got at "the spot" at first light and was delighted when my second cast elicited interest.  After a few more casts that were hounded, but not struck at, by some nice middle 20" bass, I finally tied into a feisty 25" fish so no skunking today.  Continued to pick at them for the next 45 minutes, ending up with 6 fish.  

Just as I was considering packing it in my plug got sucked into a massive surface explosion of one very pissed off striper.  The fish ran right up to the beach instead of away, getting dangerously close to a lobster pot.  I got her away from that and soon the battle had turned in my favor.  As the fish approached the boat for the first time I saw her, a 30+" fish that was destined for my dinner table tonight.  Regrettably Poseidon had other ideas and as the fish turned away from the boat, I felt the hook pull out of her.  I did my best @Scott Charlton imitation when I lost her, JK Scott ;-)

Oh well, fished for another 20 min and dropped a mid20" fish, telling me it was time to head back to the barn.  Morning's tally was half a dozen fish from 21 - 25", all in all a good reason not to sleep in...

First light at "The Spot"...

62aa1946e29a5_june15.jpg.dcad91ba692b87fe1cd0d03268b7d8a5.jpg

You have the prose of Melville, my friend!  

Posted (edited)

15 mins ago, Scott Charlton said:

You have the prose of Melville, my friend!  

I'm deeply honored, but nowhere near that level of eloquence.  In proof, here's one of my most cherished items from my office during my career in Illinois, this quip from the first paragraph of Moby Dick, that during her calligraphy days, my wife penned and framed...

Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off—then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. 

Edited by Roccus7

Never quite sure when my "Across the River Neighbor's House" has this reflection on the water...

62ab1d2fec509_MidcoastMaineHorror.jpg.68deea179d359fd3c5d5853971c1f4ff.jpg

Talk about shades of The Amityville Horror!!  When their house catches the predawn light just right, it reminds me of that movie.  Regardless, when I got out to "The Spot" this morning I was greeted with a magnificent light show:

june16dawn.jpg.9237897d0e56cd45f225fdb7a1a79947.jpg

The photo also shows the bane of late tide fishing in this spot, sea weed.  Since it's been blowing pretty well during the day, lots of rockweed has been torn loose, and I had to pick and choose where to start fishing based on the weed.  The first drift was a bust, but when I could fine tune my drift away from the weeds, things perked up and I had 30 minutes of great fishing.  This is consistent with last year at this location, when I found myself heading home while others were just getting out.  

Roccus Striper Rule #1 - Striper and Sleep are two mutually exclusive "S" words...

The fish were on the large size, for Maine, and feisty, which meant a prolonged battle, but low numbers, something I'm starting to really enjoy and embrace.  That being said the paucity of small fish has me concerned for the future...

I caught 4 fish from 23 - 28", and the great part was none of them toyed with the popper, they just slammed it and were hooked.  Even better, I didn't even drop anybody so last night's postponed "Stripah Suppah" will be tonight.

Live Performance of Pogy and Bass, along with reruns of Weeds...

The start of the morning was quite promising with this beautiful sunrise upon arrival to "The Spot":

62adb35f2a6e4_june182022.jpg.1b08d420b1fabd9950734cc60cb9e995.jpg

Don't let those ripples fool you into thinking there was any breeze, it's all Pogy!! So I moved away from them as it's very rare to pull Bass from concentrated bunker schools on poppers, only to find few casting lanes that weren't choked with Weeds. Eventually I got things sorted and had a slow pick of stripahs, 5 fish from 19 - 25", bringing the YTD Totals to 182 bass, including 16 slot fish, of which 4 came home for dinner...

On 6/15/2022 at 7:42 PM, Roccus7 said:

I'm deeply honored, but nowhere near that level of eloquence.  In proof, here's one of my most cherished items from my office during my career in Illinois, this quip from the first paragraph of Moby Dick, that during her calligraphy days, my wife penned and framed...

Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off—then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. 

I’m pulling out my copy after reading that.  My fav quote “from hells heart I stab at thee”, that book is about life in so many ways.  Paints a great picture of what 19th century Nantucket / Martha’s Vineyard life must have been like.

I'm as dumbstruck that you have that quote in your office as I was when I first read it just a couple years ago. That book has some choice lines. And acts as an interesting allegory about our responsibility to nature. Like crazy idea. Hear me out. Maybe don't kill everything?

33 mins ago, kennebecjones said:

I'm as dumbstruck that you have that quote in your office as I was when I first read it just a couple years ago.

Call me Ishmael...

44 degrees when I left the house this am at 03:45.  Yikes 

had the wood stove going last night…what month is it?

warmed up a bit…slowly this am.  Macs were willing (what’s with the wind BtW). Can’t even get a calm stretch at 4am..LOL

We settled into an old goto spot and we’re treated with an hour or so of really feisty 27-34” fish including this Chunker 

nice day OTW

jim 

0E2B3874-50CD-48A1-BF14-160E3AB2D5B8.jpeg

147EB76A-CC41-42F7-8EF0-85103F75DB39.jpeg

2 hours ago, jimbighead said:

what’s with the wind BtW

Over 48 hours running of > 20 kt gusts, just nuts!!  Didn't even bother waking up this AM as I could hear the wind chimes dinging away.

Hopefully it will let up at dusk tonight, but should be OK for a morning sortie tomorrow at 04:00.  Getting just a bit antsy!!

On 6/15/2022 at 7:42 PM, Roccus7 said:

lol... I read Moby Dick in HS and did not like it... decided to reread it about 10 years ago to see if I missed anything... :laugh:

What did you do in Illinois?  quite a change of scenery to the Harpswell area.