Roccus7

North of Portland 2022

Rate this topic

217 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

WTH?  This isn't the Jersey Shore North (Old Orchard Beach), but I finally won at the arcade with a Maine Personal Best Stripah...

Was greeted by this marvelous sunrise this morning when I got down to the dock, and felt it was the harbinger of a great morning's fishing.

IMG-9942.jpg.85a3c8265af8c06a1b0087f6862adcba.jpg

As I started executing my morning's game plan, I realized that the stripers were scattered and I needed to take positive steps and not succumb to chasing breaking fish, which made me wonder if I had slipped down to Old Orchard Beach because it's so reminiscent of the Jersey Shore, boardwalk and arcades included.  

Regardless the bass this AM decided it was time for the "Whack-A-Mole" World Championship in my river.  They would pop up feeding on brit herring for maybe 1 minute or 2 and then disappear to pop up somewhere else.  I could hear boats down in the harbor buzzing back and forth chasing the blitzes, and decided to heed the wisdom of Lord Horatio Nelson, No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy and ignored the tournament, choosing to drift along structure that hold fish in my neck of the woods.

The strategy was sound and I even had some blitzes pop up around me, which was nice.  The were so short that you only had time to catch one fish before they would disappear.  Just as I was release one fish from a short-lived blitz that I had to cast up river to, I hear the "popping" of some larger fish, and discovered a new blitz right by the boat.  Tossed my popper into it and was immediately onto a very nice fish in the middle of this melee.  My brain thought, Thank Poseidon these are stripers and not blues, because if they were blues, your line would be certainly cut off by some marauding bluefish swimming into it with its jaws chomping away.

A long, protracted fight ensued with the fish taking off on an impressively long first run that just never stopped.  I thought I was in a safe area with lots of water and room, but suddenly realized that she was damn close to a mooring buoy about 40 yds away, so I cupped my spool and took a little line so we could drift clear of that.  As soon as we were no longer in danger, I let the big girl run away.  This battle royal continued so long that my arm started to cramp, a first for me striper fishing in Maine, but I played through the pain and netted this 34" beauty.

IMG-9944.jpg.1be95a84a4b1107d6e2c237f01c7e687.jpg

She, and I, were totally spent from the battle, but I quickly unhooked her and spent a good 5 minutes reviving her so she can live another day.

All in all a magnificent morning, with 9 fish from 20 - 34".

Well done,  nice pic and story, pretty much everyone’s fish appear to be fatter and for sure an awesome start to the season. 

The biomass in Connecticut seems very large and healthy. Maine should have another great year for stripers. 

C-Day at Chez Roccus!!

I know the rest of the world is commemorating the 78th Anniversary of the D-Day, Allied Invasion of Normandy, but today hit the Century Mark, catching the 100th stripah of the season making it C-Day.  

Nothing huge today, 9 fish 18 - 26" bringing the YTD total catch to 107, including 13 "Keepahs", only retaining 2, 97 fish from 20 - 27" and 5 fish less than 20".  Starting to see smaller fish which I find to be good news, lest the fishing totally crashes once again in the coming years...

Hi Folks,

Boston fella here that spends time up in Boothbay during summer. Planning first trip up weekend of 18th and wondering if its worth lugging the kayak up this early. Anyone familiar with the area fish wise, that can tell me how the bite is so far? Fish seem to have more size in Boston this year so I'm hopeful it will be a great Maine season as well. Last few years we only had schoolies and a few small slots. 

Cheers!

42 mins ago, Jmp74 said:

Boston fella here that spends time up in Boothbay during summer. Planning first trip up weekend of 18th and wondering if its worth lugging the kayak up this early.

Only you can answer that question of whether or not lugging a kayak up for a few hours of fishing over a weekend.  June is the BEST month for bass fishing along the Midcoast, season is great here too, and you seem to know where to fish and how, so it's all up to your assessment of the hassle factor.

Posted (edited)

The Roccus Corollary to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle Explained

Fishing still great, but after an evening and morning of playing Whack-A-Mole, Jedi Master Level, I've decided to propose the Roccus Corollary to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, a famous scientific concept that all of you BS Physicists should remember:

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that when it comes to a quantum (the smallest piece of matter), you can either know how fast it is going, or where it's located, but not both at the same time without being uncertain.

The Roccus Corollary to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that when striped bass are feeding in your area you can either know that they are there and feeding, or where they're going to feed, but not both at the same time without being uncertain.  

This Corollary is proven by the outbreak of the piscatorial equivalent of Whack-A-Mole in 'da hood.  You see bass feeding, but whenever you approach that location, or another one you feel that they will start feeding in, they pop up feeding somewhere else.

Regardless, between yesterday and this morning I was able to land 14 stripers from 18 - 31" even with my inability to correctly determine where they would pop up next.  Up to 140 bass on the season, 14 slot fish.

Edited by Roccus7

Roccus, I enjoy the diligent reporting and the citizen science. Thanks to you we know exactly how many striped bass exist in your watershed each day. keep it up

I see your 140 and raise you exactly 1. I went out on Sunday in the heat of the day, at the worst tide for an hour and half and landed a single 28" fish.  on the live bait rod. Couldn't buy a bite on the 6" white sluggo I was throwing. Its interesting to see how I'lll land double digit bass some days on livies and get skunked throwing lures at the same time.  I'm sure I'll have reason to go out this weekend to take my kindergartner niece bass fishing

Posted (edited)

Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up...

Nice morning today, got up early to hit a spot that is best at mid-flood and nailed it in that 1st drift was a 5 fish drift, 21 - 27".  Next 2 drifts were worthless so I toodled down to the harbor, swearing I would NOT play Whack-A-Mole today.  Approached my 1st intended drift, when the arcade opened and I succumbed to the siren's song and slapped a quarter into the slot.  

The game was easier today, in that 1 of three casts into the melee would result in a hit on my popper AND the fish were staying up feeding for minutes, not seconds.  I even had time to video some of the action after already catching 3 fish from this pod that I shared with my neighbor John.

Ended the morning with an even dozen, 18 - 27"

Edited by Roccus7

On 6/6/2022 at 9:22 AM, Roccus7 said:

C-Day at Chez Roccus!!

I know the rest of the world is commemorating the 78th Anniversary of the D-Day, Allied Invasion of Normandy, but today hit the Century Mark, catching the 100th stripah of the season making it C-Day.  

Nothing huge today, 9 fish 18 - 26" bringing the YTD total catch to 107, including 13 "Keepahs", only retaining 2, 97 fish from 20 - 27" and 5 fish less than 20".  Starting to see smaller fish which I find to be good news, lest the fishing totally crashes once again in the coming years...

Lots of action and yes some smaller especially further in the harbor. The old candy shop has kids 6-12 about having a blast. For me the tide has not been a factor as long as 4-8 am, Topwater is king, Ran a Howie black and tinsel trolling fly in front of the of the topwater which had action including shad, this morning is was shredded , So now I need to find my Lake O trolling flies. It seems everyone is having fun. Never seen so many boats up in the harbor, maybe the surf and wind. After a hard morning!!

329D591B-9929-428D-8DB0-94CBBBF0D3C2.jpeg

13 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up...

“Killed more men than Cecil b demille” -blazing saddles

Ended the morning with an even dozen, 18 - 27"

Posted (edited)

Got up to maine to work today, fishing was slow at first but after changing locations and getting tighter to white water it was game on! Love the top water bite.

20220610_203251.jpg

Edited by shanation

Fishing with Federal Inspector Oversight...

This AM was another nice one with 9 fish from 21 - 28", making the YTD totals of over 160 bass, including 15 slot fish.

Had some avian highlights,  with the first of seeing 3 terns hassling a flying turkey?!!  Why hassle the turkey unless they are programmed to hassle big brown birds.  I had a big brown bird hassling me while fishing, nothing like fishing with oversight by a Federal Inspector.

federal inspection.jpg

“New” bait arrived in my hood yesterday en mass

feed bag was on with the last of the incoming to dark, very fat angry fish from 24-34

topwater, live and chunk

i think we could have used a beer can and hooked up

boat was such a mess afterwards 

1 1/2 hours of madness 

good times 

took the day off today to bust ass on the house/yard.    Thinking this is going to be a big week, big girls are close 

Tight lines 

Jim