Roccus7

North of Portland 2022

Rate this topic

217 posts in this topic

Hey

 

Did well in the surf, "FIona" didn't disappoint.!   Jig heads, in the blustery northwesterlies

 

Still around

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jigs with pork rind tail (black) inside the harbor, lots of bait and seals, 3 in the 19" range

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Back in the Saddle!! 

Went off to the Midwest for 3 weeks on Sept 1. Since getting back home on Monday, I've been faced with a lawn that grew on steroids, a still "waiting for a part" boat, and horrid wind, weather and tides. This evening was the first that I had a conducive tide near dusk, and the ability to fish off of a neighbor's dock.

Got down there around 16:00 and was met with a light chop, clouds/drizzle (weathermen strike out again) and a loon popping up and down in the water. At least I was comforted knowing I wasn't the only loon out there...

Fished for 20 min and was getting ready to pack it in when I saw a break, close to where the loon was. Hmmmm, do I keep fishing or pack it in, especially considering that loon just popped up relatively close to that break??? Well you can guess what I decided...

Three casts later, BANG!! A fish grabbed my popper with minimal surface disturbance, and after a tepid headshake, it took off on a series of spirited long runs I landed a "close, but no cigar" 27" fish.

Well I kept at it until 18:00, which was after the tide change. Just about every 15 casts, a fish would come up and slap at my popper. The total for the evening was 15 fish attacking my plug, 7 making contact, 5 getting hooked and 4 landed, 2 @ 23", a 25", and a 27". It was nice evening after a fishing lull of over 1 month.

Edited by Roccus7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2022 at 3:52 PM, Roccus7 said:

OK, I'm finally in now that I had a couple of nice days with light wind.  As soon as I finalize more spring house commissioning tasks, I'll start to look for some haddock & flounder, along with some cod C&R fishing until our striped friends poke their heads into my area, usually after May 20th...

 

0?ui=2&ik=ad51930c6b&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1731743582873940613&th=1808639d0b437285&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9CAD9EhiaDhZLXn-ZJC8yynBFIS0MYLbYU9TLsDuiDnGZB9TA9m8myxpnp7L8EstMwl93LKUHau1__BXqNI-H23QhLlY5Et499NU1MQEyQwfK7PycltcqeqZg&disp=emb

Awesome, welcome back!  Glad there are still fish up your wAy!

 

jim 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

It was nice evening after a fishing lull of over 1 month.

Nice! Didn't know you were back. Just so happens this weekend was my first back on the water in a little over two weeks and I was in your 'hood this morning.  Things were slow at daybreak but picked up with moving water: 7 fish with 28" the best.  On a popper from the 'yak as usual.
 
Also, belated report: Back on the 10th I caught my first ever striper-on-the-fly — a nice 27.5". Felt like a miracle since I'm not a great fly caster and even worse with a larger fly. I'd always assumed if I ever managed to get one it would be casting into a (very) nearby blitz, so it was satisfying that this one came from just working a ledge, casting to swells rolling off the rocks.  I was so shocked I tried to take a video; looking at it later and realized I was fishing with my line wrapped around the rod (see above re: not great fly caster. This surely didn't help.)

IMG_4309.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, ill_postino said:
Nice! Didn't know you were back. Just so happens this weekend was my first back on the water in a little over two weeks and I was in your 'hood this morning.  Things were slow at daybreak but picked up with moving water: 7 fish with 28" the best.  On a popper from the 'yak as usual.
 
Also, belated report: Back on the 10th I caught my first ever striper-on-the-fly — a nice 27.5". Felt like a miracle since I'm not a great fly caster and even worse with a larger fly. I'd always assumed if I ever managed to get one it would be casting into a (very) nearby blitz, so it was satisfying that this one came from just working a ledge, casting to swells rolling off the rocks.  I was so shocked I tried to take a video; looking at it later and realized I was fishing with my line wrapped around the rod (see above re: not great fly caster. This surely didn't help.)

IMG_4309.PNG

Down in the harbor or up by me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Back in the Saddle!! 

Went off to the Midwest for 3 weeks on Sept 1. Since getting back home on Monday, I've been faced with a lawn that grew on steroids, a still "waiting for a part" boat, and horrid wind, weather and tides. This evening was the first that I had a conducive tide near dusk, and the ability to fish off of a neighbor's dock.

Got down there around 16:00 and was met with a light chop, clouds/drizzle (weathermen strike out again) and a loon popping up and down in the water. At least I was comforted knowing I wasn't the only loon out there...

Fished for 20 min and was getting ready to pack it in when I saw a break, close to where the loon was. Hmmmm, do I keep fishing or pack it in, especially considering that loon just popped up relatively close to that break??? Well you can guess what I decided...

Three casts later, BANG!! A fish grabbed my popper with minimal surface disturbance, and after a tepid headshake, it took off on a series of spirited long runs I landed a "close, but no cigar" 27" fish.

Well I kept at it until 18:00, which was after the tide change. Just about every 15 casts, a fish would come up and slap at my popper. The total for the evening was 15 fish attacking my plug, 7 making contact, 5 getting hooked and 4 landed, 2 @ 23", a 25", and a 27". It was nice evening after a fishing lull of over 1 month.

I love your prose, my good man!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of bait still around the marshes.  Clouds of pinners ( wish i knew what they were)

 

Im catching lots of 12-16 ish popping on the surface.

 

All just off the high....draining out.  Great fun on light tackle.

 

Im focused on proving my late season striper obsession, that they are here but we just quit fishing.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of fish still cruising, inflow/outflow in my area 

 

munch factor in the river (hugely surprising for fall) is on

 

it’s been damn cold out there.   Fish don’t seem to care 

 

get out there people

 

jim 

 

 

9211A443-2781-4621-AA27-6235B7AE0111.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice early mid coast morning with 5 fish in the 23”-25” range all bunched up    in a current choke point (nada everywhere else I cast). 

CD2C41CD-80E6-4DE0-95D2-0674C185DF7C.jpeg

44B739B1-F634-4303-9EF1-70702DAA5895.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still some good ones out there

 

on the outflow.  Huge pods of phytoplankton eating wonders, big fat seals, bald eagles and who knows what else.  It was alive

 

We waited for the bulk of the madness to pass thinking the bass we’re avoiding. The seal melee.   Picked off the edges and found a bunch including this Gem

 

get out there people 

 

fat lady is rehearsing….

 

 

FF85ACEE-180C-4DCB-9FFE-83A66D4914C2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, jimbighead said:

Still some good ones out there

 

on the outflow.  Huge pods of phytoplankton eating wonders, big fat seals, bald eagles and who knows what else.  It was alive

 

We waited for the bulk of the madness to pass thinking the bass we’re avoiding. The seal melee.   Picked off the edges and found a bunch including this Gem

 

get out there people 

 

fat lady is rehearsing….

 

 

FF85ACEE-180C-4DCB-9FFE-83A66D4914C2.jpeg

Good on you man! Beautiful fish. I’ll be heading out later tonight after watching Mr. Brady. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, MainelySmallies said:

Good on you man! Beautiful fish. I’ll be heading out later tonight after watching Mr. Brady. 

Jesus, good luck, chilly for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still going….  Fish stories… lost two good ones LOL…. Smaller fish and this feisty fat small one.   Likely giving it the go hard through the cold weekend.   I could see a rather stout lassie warming up the vocal cords on the rather chilly bank tonight

 

Still fish out there 

 

Jim 

 

 

CEF28BAE-1300-4200-93FB-2D9940EC3C8C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.