Roccus7

North of Portland 2022

Rate this topic

209 posts in this topic

Tube and Worm??  We don't need no stinking Tube and Worm to catch Slot Fish!!

Had a delightful morning w/ @ill_postino today, a total of 10 fish were caught on poppers including 3 slot fish from 28 - 32" with Postino's pool winning 32" fish.  Best fishing in a while, first double digit outing in over a month.  AAMOF, we were doubled up 3 times, including a boat first, a double on slots!!  There was a bit of "musical chairs" going on during that melee, as positions were changed multiple times...

Guess my plans to resurrect a Tube and Worm rig given to me by @Crozzbowwill have to wait...

21 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Where did you ever hear that??  There's no State Law I know that says that, and there isn't one in my town.  I dig them all the time!!

I was told by my mother in law. Her parents were big commercial wormers, so I believed her. Never actually checked. 

41 mins ago, fishoninct said:

I was told by my mother in law. Her parents were big commercial wormers, so I believed her. Never actually checked. 

50/day

Screenshot_20220809-065630.png

Posted (edited)

So, a dead mouse is a good luck charm???

Not sure if I'm ready to claim that, BUT on this AM's sortie with @ill_postino, fishing was a bit slow until I snagged a dead mouse on my popper.  As soon as I snagged it, I said to myself, "Not seaweed, but WTF can it be?" and there it was, something definitely not on my list of 1,000 Things You Might Snag Fishing A Popper .  Up to that point the fishing was slow, but suddenly things picked up, just not sure if it was because of the small move we made or the mojo of the dead rodent, but who am I to argue with Poseidon and the Fates???

Ended the day with 10 fish, 5 slots from 28 - 30" and 5 schoolies from 20 - 27".  The 5 slots is a new boat record for most slot fish in a single trip

Edited by Roccus7

Posted (edited)

Remember thou art mortal...

Well the striped nemeses had their way with me today, and that Roman saying to conquering heroes, along with my Grandmothers old saying in Neopolitan, Don't spit up into the air because it comes back and hits you in the face, have both rocked me today.  Feeling good about slot fish in every trip the past week, I went back to my most recent "Go To" spot only to come up short on slots, with 6 fish, 20 - 22".

No worries, I had no intention of keeping any fish today, and since there was no wind stirring I decided to run outside to check out some numbers that were reported to be good for decent sized pollock.  Got out there and did catch pollock, but nothing bigger than 12".  Marked the best spots for future reference and started back toward the harbor.  

Then the Devil popped up on my shoulder, You know, conditions are PERFECT for your ledge spot????  Nothing the Angel on the other shoulder could dissuade me from the temptations of the Dark Side.  Yes, when I nuzzled the boat close to the ledge I saw a decent amount of weed-free white water caused by swells, and the lite offshore breeze gently nudging the boat away from danger, PEFECT!!

I fired off a cast of my Striper Strike armed with a chartreuse siwash hook in place of the normal tail treble into a void that a swell had just gone into.  As the wave receded into a rush of white water I started working the plug and a large striper flew out of the wash to crash it, FISH ON!!  After a long run and a very concerned me wondering how I was going to keep the fish from getting fouled in the lobster pot next to me, the line went slack and I retrieved my plug minus the tail hook.  Looks like somewhere in Maine there's 30+, maybe 40" fish swimming around with a chartreuse mustache.

OK, no matter, I grabbed another rod rigged with a normal Striper Strike and fired it into the wash.  After a bunch of furious swirls, another massive strike and FISH ON!!  Just when the long initial run was complete, I feel the plug pull out of the fish.  Well at least that time there was no equipment failure.

Had to move the boat back into the "Hot Zone" and as soon as I was back there and launched another cast it was FISH ON for the 3rd time, and hopefully the charm.  Well that wasn't the case as I dropped yet another fish immediately after the initial run.  Now I was spitting bullets, stomping like a spoiled 2 year old and screaming obscenities!!

I made two more drifts, but there was no activity so I put my tail between my legs and headed in.  Those damn fish can surely drive one crazy!!

Edited by Roccus7

Got out a couple times this week in the yak.

Pogies and Macs are pretty much MIA in my bay so turned to the artificials. Had some action early morning & evening on noisy poppers. Nothing to write home about but a fun bite nonetheless. Managed one slot last night trolling bomber about hour after sunset. 

Did very well fishing high tide on our last day of vacation. 5 slot fish and about 15 fish in all for the day. Tube and bloodworm was the best bite. Tried night crawlers too. They worked but not nearly as well. 
until next year…

went out from 4:30 to 9:30 am

went 0 fer and other guy only got one but a keeper

was a school of pogeys near the boat getting worked by the seals so snagged one and hooked him through the lips, we were coming back to the dock so i just left him in the water and while shooting the breeze on the dock my rod suddenly bends over and we bring in another keeper

next day went for an hour or two in the afternoon and everyone got skunked - seems to be really petering out with just a few bass left up here

Posted (edited)

Reid State Park from the surf the last 3 weeks: multiple sub 24".  (3) 27"  (1) 40"  (1) 42"  all on chunk macs.  My best luck has been early am bite on incoming tide.  Mid day bite has been non existent from shore since August.  I wonder if there are flounder off that beach, lots of fish pick up chunks and scream but never get hooked.  No luck there on lures there yet.  Green light from the wife boss to buy a boat next year!!!  I cannot wait to lose the "chains" from land, so many places I want to try out.  Any one else fish from shore between Owls Head and Reid want to meet up sometime ... let me know.  

40 Stripes 2022.png

Edited by Fury

Rocco’s! Are you releasing fish or keeping them in livewell for another day?too easy for you

Posted (edited)

Out of the 39 slots caught YTD on HMS Roccus, 27 have been returned.  Never even considered using the livewell for time shifting or upgrading.  Once the culinary decision is made, fish is immediately bled out...

Been beached since Friday with engine issues.  If not rectified soon I'll call the season, as a busy fall schedule won't let me fish much.

Edited by Roccus7

21 mins ago, RAW said:

too easy for you

At least I don't soak bait or drag lures.  Way too AD/HD for that!!

It's full contact fishing, and nobody who's ever fished with me talk about a having relaxing experience, LOL!!

Just now, Roccus7 said:

At least I don't soak bait or drag lures.  Way too AD/HD for that!!

It's full contact fishing, and nobody who's ever fished with me talk about a having relaxing experience, LOL!!

I love clothes lines of weeds!!!  Glutton for punishment, or just a stupid ass.    Good luck with your motor

Back in the saddle with a vengeance

Tilt/Trim issues have continued with a hydraulic leak on main ram. O-rink kit for all 3 rams on order, but will take a week or two more to get here so I had the yard fill 'er up with fluid so I could fish while waiting. Was torn about destination for this morning's sortie and at last minute, decided to go with Plan B, which worked out well.

Fishing with a friend, we managed 3, 23" fish and I coaxed  a fat 31" fish to grab my plug.  Also had another large fish crash the plug with no hookup.

It's the boat's 40th "Keepah" of the season, of which 35 have succumbed to me. 2022 has been a banner year for sure!!