codfish

Understanding how to catch more fish

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

"A striper's ability to smell is documented to be approximately 1,000 times better than a dog. It has two pairs of nostrils on each side of its head that allow it to smell constantly as it swims. A striper's ability to smell is far greater than its ability to see, which biologists have determined is because the cortex in the striper's brain is smaller for sight than it is for smell.Mar 25, 2020"

Amazing olfactory senses, I’ve read Salmon and Catfish are in the top 3 as well. A striper will travel 153 miles up the Hudson River and spawn in the exact spot that it was created! It’s one of a few fish with a connected mouth and ‘nose’ of sorts. Attractants, blood and sand worms all work well because of their great olfactory senses.

How would you explain some of the best fisherman being chain smokers, killing eels in tobacco and spraying their lures and bait with WD-40?

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, SC said:

How would you explain some of the best fisherman being chain smokers, killing eels in tobacco and spraying their lures and bait with WD-40?

"lures and bait with WD-40?" this is an old trick that works:) just like years ago lobstermen used to put used oil cans in there traps, just don't get caught:eek:

What others say about tobacco:)

"Using tobacco is probably not be effective for a day on the water. Use tobacco sparingly as fish bait. Too much will create a strong and unappealing odor and drive the fish away. It's not the smell of the tobacco (the smoke, really) per se, it's that the tobacco smoke smell tells the fish that there's something wrong.Apr 2, 2013"

Edited by codfish

A smell is an opportunity! Like a dog, any smell is worth investigating. Ask ‘Bob the Garbageman

about Anise? 

3 mins ago, cheech said:

A smell is an opportunity! Like a dog, any smell is worth investigating. Ask ‘Bob the Garbageman

about Anise? 

:th:

18 mins ago, cheech said:

Amazing olfactory senses, I’ve read Salmon and Catfish are in the top 3 as well. A striper will travel 153 miles up the Hudson River and spawn in the exact spot that it was created! It’s one of a few fish with a connected mouth and ‘nose’ of sorts. Attractants, blood and sand worms all work well because of their great olfactory senses.

You know your stuff:th:thanks for sharing:)

Does this enhanced sense of smell come into play while hunting for baitfish?  The answer would seem to logically be yes but why hasnt the market capitalized on this with odor emitting lures rather than action lures?

14 mins ago, Kidfo said:

Does this enhanced sense of smell come into play while hunting for baitfish?  The answer would seem to logically be yes but why hasnt the market capitalized on this with odor emitting lures rather than action lures?

It essentially has though? Gulp, procure, plugs with scent holes drilled in for you to insert whatever smelly jelly you want,.mehaden oil, etc. Problem is the handling of these items and residual aftersmells. 

I've definitely had nights where too much bug spray on my hands/gear i think has effected things. Possibly just me being mental/overthinking but a good rinse down with freshwater then back out on the water without bug spray and like magic I catch again. 

12 hours ago, cheech said:

about Anise? 

"I mean the bunka is just a vehicle for anise delivery"  Amiright?

21 hours ago, Italianbuca said:

It essentially has though? Gulp, procure, plugs with scent holes drilled in for you to insert whatever smelly jelly you want,.mehaden oil, etc. Problem is the handling of these items and residual aftersmells. 

I've definitely had nights where too much bug spray on my hands/gear i think has effected things. Possibly just me being mental/overthinking but a good rinse down with freshwater then back out on the water without bug spray and like magic I catch again. 

Thanks for sharing

Same here on bug spray, sunscreen & gasoline. 

I had a day last year. 3 of us in a row. 

It was hot & buggy.  Me and the guy on the left got there the same time, both slathered on sunscreen & bugspray.  He used latex gloves while rigging.   I did not. 

Same rigs.  Same bait.  Arms length apart. 

He caught. I didn't.   I think it was the gloves that did it for him.  

It's happened to me many times before too.  

I've started rinsing my hands in cheap vodka. I don't trust hand sanitizer.  Has a bittering agent added to it.  Do fish taste it?? Dunno.  But I can.  That's good enough.  

Wouldn't wearing latex gloves while slathering on the sunscreen/ bug juice, rather than each and every time rigging bait, be more better?