FallenKell

What do you do to measure your fish?

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, FallenKell said:

............ take photo/film evidence of the catch and size before it goes on ice due to shrinkage).

Good luck with that.

Seamstress cloth tape measure folded up in my pocket - lasts for years - lay bass on ground, takes seconds to use and fish is back in the water - virtually zero time with fish being vertical.

I think I will need to change to a fabric tape this year. I previously would cut a wooden dowel to the minimum keeper length (fudge it a little bigger). Any fluke that was longer than the stick and I would keep it. But with a slot, I guess I could still do that, but need 2 sticks and they would need to be dead accurate, so probably really need 2 pieces of aluminum bar stock (so I don't have to worry about swelling of the wood). That is still a pain, and I don't think I have any scrap bar stock sitting around.

On 5/2/2022 at 2:55 AM, FallenKell said:

As the title says, what do you use to measure your fish, especially as a surf caster (i.e. no rail mounted measuring board installed to just plop the fish down onto)? Are you carrying around a tape measure in the saltwater? Do you have a couple "sticks" that you make each year to fit the current regs for length that you carry?

I'm just trying to get some options and ideas as to what others are doing, especially with NJ's new fluke regs with just a 1" slot size (which I think is going to need people to take photo/film evidence of the catch and size before it goes on ice due to shrinkage).

I have a red dot of nail polish @28" on my rod

16 hours ago, FallenKell said:

Yeah, while I'm usually close eyeballing it, I am not that close. And like I stated the NJ fluke regs are for 2 fish over 17" but under 18", and 1 fish 18" and over this year. That is just a nightmare if you ask me. A 1" slot is just too close for having a slot in the first place if you ask me.

I'd probably mark 18" on the rod, return anything more than 1/2" under. I agree, that's a potentially troublesome slot. A little shrinkage, drying of the tail, curling of the spine, and your suddenly out of compliance.

Personally, if a stock is in enough trouble that the regs get that restrictive, I tend to leave them alone, GoM cod as an example.

I always marked the rod with electrical tape so I didn’t waste time getting fish back in water looking for a tape measure. I almost never measure them or take pictures anymore and they all go back 

I scoop em up and say "Yep. That's a good one".

I haven't kept a fish in decades, so I've never worried about it in that aspect. I have marked rods in the past, mostly for bragging rights.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, ermghoti said:

I'd probably mark 18" on the rod, return anything more than 1/2" under. I agree, that's a potentially troublesome slot. A little shrinkage, drying of the tail, curling of the spine, and your suddenly out of compliance.

Personally, if a stock is in enough trouble that the regs get that restrictive, I tend to leave them alone, GoM cod as an example.

I don't think it is so much that the regs got that restrictive, more that the "internet" was allowed to give an opinion on the regs this year as that is how they held the meeting. There were 4 options for the season. They were all "loosening" the regulations from previous years, going from what was 3 fish 18" or over to these new options. The option with the 17-18" slot also included expansion of the fishing season by 6 weeks or so (this had the longest season). As you can guess, what do you think all the party boat owners wanted? Yep, an expanded season where they could charge more people for more day trips on the water.

This slot option was not the preferred option of the fishing council advisors (because they were actual fisherman and/or scientists who understood that boats would just livewell and stay out trying to find the 2 slot fish and in the meantime for each bigger 18+ they catch, toss the half-dead ones from the livewell overboard as the throwback). But the council followed what the boat captains and the "internet users" wanted and voted for this ridiculous slot.

Edited by FallenKell

Plastic carpenters ruler if I'm in a C&R tourney (or it's a good, maybe PB fish) other wise I have a piece of reflective tape on the rod at 28".

HC 4-29-22.JPG

3 hours ago, FallenKell said:

This slot option was not the preferred option of the fishing council advisors (because they were actual fisherman and/or scientists who understood that boats would just livewell and stay out trying to find the 2 slot fish and in the meantime for each bigger 18+ they catch, toss the half-dead ones from the livewell overboard as the throwback). But the council followed what the boat captains and the "internet users" wanted and voted for this ridiculous slot.

Unfortunate. Massachusetts deals with this rather simply for striped bass; keeping live fish is impermissible, and "high-grading" is also explicitly forbidden.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:44 PM, patnyc said:

I use Measure app on my iphone.  It's pretty accurate I think.

sounds like a great idea......