FallenKell

What do you do to measure your fish?

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Surfratiam said:

Three white lines on rod

30”, 40” and 50”

I use white nail polish to make the “rings” on the rod. 

Or wrap tape, I don't go as far as 50", 28" was always the mark I used, anything bigger was also weighed. Since those times, I gave up the Boga as its bulky to carry and the bluefish all but disappeared. I don't mind unhooking bass, its the blues with their sharp choppers that make my digits nervous.

4 hours ago, ermghoti said:

I used to tape my rod, then I discovered I have an absurdly accurate ability to judge fish length. By which I mean, within an inch from up to 20+ yards away. If there's any doubt, I just put them back.

I suck at estimating weight, I'm generally about 2/3 of the actual weight.

Yeah, while I'm usually close eyeballing it, I am not that close. And like I stated the NJ fluke regs are for 2 fish over 17" but under 18", and 1 fish 18" and over this year. That is just a nightmare if you ask me. A 1" slot is just too close for having a slot in the first place if you ask me.

I do keep a sewing tape with me so when I get a large bass I can do a length and girth measurement to get weight estimate.

Luckily, my inseam is 28” so if a a bass can kiss my nuts and the tail reaches the ground I know it’s legal. Haven’t kept one in years.

All my surf rods have a 36” grip (back to front) I know when I have an upper teen fish or better.

Years of catching can give you a pretty good eyeball but we as fisherman by nature tend to stretch the truth. Tape will keep you honest.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

Have you compared the measurements on this to a known good source?  Meaning..... Is an inch and inch and is 17....17?  One problem I've found with a number of rules especially from amazon is they can be off by a 1/16 or more on an inch and by the time you get to 17-18 for NJ fluke this year for instance that can result in a pretty large difference. One that can get you in trouble.  I'm curious if this is accurate enough. 

Edited by pressphotog

31 mins ago, pressphotog said:

Have you compared the measurements on this to a known good source?  Meaning..... Is an inch and inch and is 17....17?  One problem I've found with a number of rules especially from amazon is they can be off by a 1/16 or more on an inch and by the time you get to 17-18 for NJ fluke this year for instance that can result in a pretty large difference. One that can get you in trouble.  I'm curious if this is accurate enough. 

Wiha  makes some pretty good stuff... I just checked my well used, 6-7yr old ruler, and it is right on thruout it's whole range... Every 1/16" mark on it matched up with the marks on a new Stanley 25' steel tape... Also this thing is pretty small and fits in  just about any pocket...

Butch

Usually I whip my wee wee out. But sometimes I use a sewing tape measure to get a more accurate size.

8 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I've tried marking my rod. But I always forget what the marks are. 

Change the color for 1 key mark. Say you have orange marks 24” to 36” change the color Ti yellow for 1 key measurement, say 28”.

24 mins ago, PeteA said:

Change the color for 1 key mark. Say you have orange marks 24” to 36” change the color Ti yellow for 1 key measurement, say 28”.

Doesn't help my CRS!

It's bad. Side effect of some of my meds is short term memory loss. 

I have to constantly take notes so I remember stuff. 

I carry a vinyl tape measurer rolled up in my bag.  I also have some tape on a few rods to denote specific measurements. The reel seat to butt is also a good baseline.