FallenKell

What do you do to measure your fish?

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

As the title says, what do you use to measure your fish, especially as a surf caster (i.e. no rail mounted measuring board installed to just plop the fish down onto)? Are you carrying around a tape measure in the saltwater? Do you have a couple "sticks" that you make each year to fit the current regs for length that you carry?

I'm just trying to get some options and ideas as to what others are doing, especially with NJ's new fluke regs with just a 1" slot size (which I think is going to need people to take photo/film evidence of the catch and size before it goes on ice due to shrinkage).

I made this thing.  It's hokey looking but is nearly rust proof and cost me about a dollar.  

It's a fabric tape measure they use for sewing.  I think it goes to 48in.  

Then I used 2 empty pill bottles, some stainless thru wire,  & duct tape.    No springs.  Just pull it out/wind it up.   Rubber band keeps it from rattling.  

Duolock is for stickin it onto things so I don't lose it.  IMG_20220502_042843.jpg.c9874b16aa28be3b7f2a07d675ef3d27.jpg

I have a tape ruler on the back of my rear cargo carrier on my truck. Walking or the rocks I use a sewing tape ruler.

Fabric sewing tape with grommet in one end that I clip to my bag. Rolll it up snd stuff it into one of the small pockets 

Like above, painted dots with a paint pen at predetermined measurements on rod. 

33BEFDA9-031B-4AB4-87B0-234BD1365D3F.jpeg

Electric tape on rod at certain key measurements (slot size lower then upper, and a couple dream marks haha) 

Then I keep a fabric sewing tape rolled up in one of my pockets just in case I want to be more precise for whatever reason. 

On my shorter rods for bottom fishing and fluking I picked up some vinyl decals from ebay that are rulers that give 1" marks for a 3ft length and I adhered to the back of the rods and I can accurately use my rod as a ruler. 

3 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I've tried marking my rod. But I always forget what the marks are. 

Exactly why I keep it simple with just 3 or 4 marks haha. The lower slot limit, upper slot limit, and a couple dream marks haha

7 hours ago, FallenKell said:

As the title says, what do you use to measure your fish, especially as a surf caster (i.e. no rail mounted measuring board installed to just plop the fish down onto)? Are you carrying around a tape measure in the saltwater? Do you have a couple "sticks" that you make each year to fit the current regs for length that you carry?

I'm just trying to get some options and ideas as to what others are doing, especially with NJ's new fluke regs with just a 1" slot size (which I think is going to need people to take photo/film evidence of the catch and size before it goes on ice due to shrinkage).

No such thing as 'shrinkage'. If it's short, it's short. There aren't any exceptions.

I used to tape my rod, then I discovered I have an absurdly accurate ability to judge fish length. By which I mean, within an inch from up to 20+ yards away. If there's any doubt, I just put them back.

I suck at estimating weight, I'm generally about 2/3 of the actual weight.

1 min ago, ermghoti said:

I used to tape my rod, then I discovered I have an absurdly accurate ability to judge fish length. By which I mean, within an inch from up to 20+ yards away. If there's any doubt, I just put them back.

I suck at estimating weight, I'm generally about 2/3 of the actual weight.

Im the opposite.  Suck at length but usually can guess within a small fraction in weight.  

Too many years cutting meat & deli!