ProSkateFisherman

Sturgeon on the beach!?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Stergin.PNG.9d5908d0f15f729794d1221ca00bfe84.PNG

Normally I would never think that anybody would have even had the slimmest chance of catching a sturgeon off the beach. I guess there is a chance. Must have been super exciting to catch something like this. Saw this on Fish in OC. Anybody ever hear of a sturgeon getting caught on the beach before this?

2 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Stergin.PNG.9d5908d0f15f729794d1221ca00bfe84.PNG

Normally I would never think that anybody would have even had the slimmest chance of catching a sturgeon off the beach. I guess there is a chance. Must have been super exciting to catch something like this. Saw this on Fish in OC. Anybody ever hear of a sturgeon getting caught on the beach before this?

I caught one last spring and I know of another caught last spring so while rare not unheard-of. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have found several skulls and some sun baked skeletal remains of smaller ones back in the dunes where the high water wash goes. 

Edited by Catskill John

2 hours ago, spinr0k said:

I have seen them wash up on the beach from time to time as well,  dead of course.  

Boat strikes are a big problem for them.They were almost completely wiped out by commercial fishermen in the 1800's and never recovered.

I wouldn’t have thought they’re around in enough numbers for people to see them, even if the sightings are infrequent. Interesting to see that they are still around the area.

On 5/2/2022 at 1:06 AM, dave sharkman said:

I caught one last spring and I know of another caught last spring so while rare not unheard-of. 

Were you thinking shark when you were fighting it?

We see free jumpers all the time in the fall in NC. There are plenty of unstoppable fish and big heavy bastards that stay deep that we never see. We often wonder how many big sturgeon get broken off as big sharks or rays.

10 mins ago, CJS said:

Were you thinking shark when you were fighting it?

We see free jumpers all the time in the fall in NC. There are plenty of unstoppable fish and big heavy bastards that stay deep that we never see. We often wonder how many big sturgeon get broken off as big sharks or rays.

Honestly that early in the year I was thinking big ray

20210506_145543.jpg